How can I build a 12V DC motor controller for my fishing pole?

In summary, the person is looking for a 12v DC motor controller or PWM to decrease the RPM of a fishing pole attached with a 12v DC electric drill motor. They want to build it themselves and are seeking ideas and input. One suggestion is to use a 555 IC, a power transistor, and other components for a simple and inexpensive solution. Many resources can be found through a Google search for "555 pwm motor."
yrliner
I have attached a 12v DC electric drill moter to a fishing pole.
I need a 12v dc motor controler or PWM that will allow me to cut the rpm's down from 550 rpm to about 20 to 100 rpm. less then 20 would work better for bottom fishing.
I believe a PWM would work but I am not sure as to a schematic I can use to build one.
Any ideas or input would help. I am not wanting to buy something. I want to build it with my son. it's our project together. thanks for the help. Just F.Y.I we are makeing this so I can go fishing independtly I only have the use of 1 arm.

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi there
welcome to PF :)

do some google searching PWM+H-bridge+motor+circuits

you should come up with lots of ideas :)

cheers
Dave

No will not need a H-bridge It is only going to turn 1 way.

What you want can be done very simple and cheap using a 555 IC, a power transistor and a few passive components. It's probably one of the most well-documented hobby projects around since so many start out building exactly that circuit.

Like davenn suggested, do a Google search for something like "555 pwm motor" - you should find plenty of material.

Building a 12V DC motor controller for your fishing pole is definitely a feasible project, and it's great that you and your son are working on it together. In order to achieve your desired RPM range of 20-100, a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) controller would be the most suitable option. A PWM controller works by rapidly switching the power on and off to the motor, which effectively controls the speed.

To build a PWM controller, you will need a few components such as a MOSFET transistor, a potentiometer, a diode, and some resistors and capacitors. You can find many schematics and tutorials online for building a simple PWM controller, and you can also modify them to suit your specific needs. It's important to note that the specific values of the components will depend on the specifications of your motor and the desired RPM range, so make sure to do some research and calculations before building.

Additionally, it's important to ensure that the controller can handle the current and voltage requirements of your motor. You may need to use a heat sink or a fan to prevent overheating, especially if you plan to use the motor for extended periods of time.

Overall, building a 12V DC motor controller for your fishing pole can be a fun and educational project for you and your son. Just make sure to do thorough research and take necessary safety precautions while building and using the controller. Happy fishing!

1. What is a 12V DC motor controller?

A 12V DC motor controller is an electronic device that is responsible for regulating the speed and direction of a 12V direct current (DC) motor. It acts as an intermediary between the motor and a power source, allowing for precise control of the motor's speed and direction.

2. How does a 12V DC motor controller work?

A 12V DC motor controller works by receiving input signals from a control source, such as a remote control or a microcontroller. These signals are then processed and converted into specific voltage levels and pulses which are sent to the motor, determining its speed and direction.

3. What are the benefits of using a 12V DC motor controller?

There are several benefits of using a 12V DC motor controller. It allows for precise control of the motor's speed and direction, making it useful for a variety of applications. It also helps to protect the motor from voltage spikes and overloading, increasing its longevity and efficiency. Additionally, it can be easily integrated into electronic systems and can be controlled remotely.

4. Can a 12V DC motor controller be used with other voltage motors?

No, a 12V DC motor controller is specifically designed to work with 12V DC motors. Using it with other voltage motors can result in damage to the controller and the motor. It is important to always match the motor and controller voltage to ensure proper functioning.

5. Are there different types of 12V DC motor controllers?

Yes, there are different types of 12V DC motor controllers available on the market. These include simple on/off controllers, speed controllers, and reversible controllers. Some controllers also have additional features such as current limiting and overheat protection. It is important to choose the right type of controller for your specific motor and application.