The Pork Chop Solution: Pondering My Place in Space

• Thread starter Chronos
  • Start date
In summary, the gravitational force is strong enough to keep you from being pulled apart, but if you are empty space without resistance, you could be pulled apart.
Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was BBQ-ing yesterday. I ate eight pork chops [they were small] and lapsed into a sated, torpid slumber. Suddenly, I was a lonely asteroid drifting in deep space, with nothing but diffuse filaments of primordial hydrogen and helium molecules to keep me company [I was recoil kicked out of my mother galaxy about 8 Gy ago.]. It suddenly occurred to me I was being gently pulled in all directions by the gravity of the near infinite number of massive bodies isotropically surrounding me in the universe. Were it not not for the attractive properties of my own feeble mass, I would be stretching... Any thoughts?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I imagine 2 things would hold you together. The strength of your body and the very weak gravitational force created by your mass should each be sufficient to prevent the very weak cumulative tidal forces from pulling you apart.

Agreed, but what if I'm empty space devoid of any appreciable resistance to this force?

Chronos said:
Agreed, but what if I'm empty space devoid of any appreciable resistance to this force?
Good question, gravity gravitates, i guess the only thing keeping you from "imploding" is the hubble.

In Newtonian theory, there is no force anywyere inside a sphere of uniform matter. So you wouldn't be pulled apart.

In GR things get a lot more complicated, and the previous statement is not necessarily true. From some other threads, including one overly long thread about threads :-), you should only get pulled apart if the deceleration parameter q of the universe is less than zero, i.e. if the universal expansion is acclerating. (This happens only when there is a cosmological constant). Otherwise you will only experience compressive forces.

There isn't any good way of illustrating this without some nasty tensor algebra, though. If anyone wants to see the nasty tensor algebra, I can provde links where this has been previously discussed, and the numbers for our current universe (which does have a cosmological constant) have been calculated.

1. What is "The Pork Chop Solution: Pondering My Place in Space" about?

"The Pork Chop Solution: Pondering My Place in Space" is a scientific memoir written by a scientist who reflects on their personal journey in understanding the vastness and complexity of the universe. The book delves into topics such as space exploration, the search for extraterrestrial life, and the author's own experiences and thoughts on their place in the universe.

2. Who is the author of "The Pork Chop Solution: Pondering My Place in Space"?

The author of "The Pork Chop Solution: Pondering My Place in Space" is a scientist with a background in astrophysics and space exploration. The author's identity is not revealed in the book, but they are well known in the scientific community for their contributions to the field.

3. What inspired the author to write "The Pork Chop Solution: Pondering My Place in Space"?

The author was inspired to write this book after years of working in the field of astrophysics and space exploration. They wanted to share their personal reflections and insights on the wonders of the universe, as well as their own journey in understanding it.

4. Is "The Pork Chop Solution: Pondering My Place in Space" suitable for non-scientists?

Yes, "The Pork Chop Solution: Pondering My Place in Space" is written in a way that is accessible to non-scientists. The author avoids using technical jargon and explains complex concepts in a way that is easy to understand for readers with little to no background in science.

5. What sets "The Pork Chop Solution: Pondering My Place in Space" apart from other science books?

"The Pork Chop Solution: Pondering My Place in Space" offers a unique perspective on the topic of space and the universe. The author combines their personal experiences with scientific knowledge to create a thought-provoking and engaging read. The book also includes beautiful illustrations and photographs to enhance the reading experience.