Parallel plate conductors of opposing charge and unequal magnitude

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about calculating the E field between two plates of opposing charge with unequal magnitudes. The person is wondering if the magnitude of the E field would be constant for any point between the plates and if it is a simple superposition problem. They mention considering using Gauss's law to calculate the field and are worried about overthinking the problem for an upcoming exam.
JJK1503
A question has occurred to me during preparation for a Physics exam. My textbook does a good job of discussing a capacitor charged equal but opposite. But I want to take it a step further. My question is how to calculate the E field between 2 plates of opposing charge that have unequal magnitudes.

For example; if I have two plates of σ and -5σ a distance x apart, what would the E field be at x/2 ? Would the magnitude of the E field be constant for any point between the plates, as it is with a capacitor? Is this a simple superposition problem where I should create a Gaussian cylinder and find E field for both adding them together or is it something else? I am definitely over thinking this one.

I feel like this is exactly the type of curve ball my professor might throw at us on Monday. Any help is much appreciated. I have spent too much time thinking about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
JJK1503 said:
A question has occurred to me during preparation for a Physics exam. My textbook does a good job of discussing a capacitor charged equal but opposite. But I want to take it a step further. My question is how to calculate the E field between 2 plates of opposing charge that have unequal magnitudes.

For example; if I have two plates of σ and -5σ a distance x apart, what would the E field be at x/2 ? Would the magnitude of the E field be constant for any point between the plates, as it is with a capacitor? Is this a simple superposition problem where I should create a Gaussian cylinder and find E field for both adding them together or is it something else? I am definitely over thinking this one.

Welcome to PF !

Assuming you are talking about a parallel plate capacitor ,the charges on the inner surfaces of the two plates would be equal and opposite .This in turn means that there would be charges on the outer surfaces of the two plates .

Regarding the magnitude of the charges on the inner surfaces and on the outer surfaces , you need to use the condition that electric field inside the conductor is zero .

You should be able to calculate the field of a uniform planar charge density using Gauss's law.
Simply add the contributions at x/2 of two such planes with sigma and -5 sigma.

1. What are parallel plate conductors of opposing charge and unequal magnitude?

Parallel plate conductors of opposing charge and unequal magnitude are two flat metal plates placed parallel to each other, with one plate having a positive charge and the other having a negative charge. The magnitude of the charges on each plate may be different, resulting in an electric field between the plates.

2. How does the electric field between parallel plate conductors of opposing charge and unequal magnitude behave?

The electric field between parallel plate conductors of opposing charge and unequal magnitude is constant and uniform. This means that the strength and direction of the electric field does not change as you move between the two plates.

3. What is the purpose of using parallel plate conductors of opposing charge and unequal magnitude?

These conductors are commonly used in capacitors, which are electronic components that store electrical charge. The parallel plates allow for a larger surface area and therefore a larger capacitance, making them more efficient for storing charge.

4. How does the magnitude of the charges affect the behavior of parallel plate conductors?

The magnitude of the charges on each plate determines the strength of the electric field between the plates. A larger magnitude of charges will result in a stronger electric field and a higher capacitance, while a smaller magnitude of charges will result in a weaker electric field and a lower capacitance.

5. Can parallel plate conductors of opposing charge and unequal magnitude be used in other applications besides capacitors?

Yes, these conductors can also be used in electrostatic precipitators, which are devices that remove particles from a gas stream using an electric field. The particles become charged and are attracted to one of the plates, effectively removing them from the gas stream.