by Dennis4
Tags: absolutes, moral, relativism
Dennis4
Jun3-05, 11:42 PM
P: 19
Interesting article I read a week ago:

What You Can't Say

January 2004

Have you ever seen an old photo of yourself and been embarrassed at the way you looked? Did we actually dress like that? We did. And we had no idea how silly we looked. It's the nature of fashion to be invisible, in the same way the movement of the earth is invisible to all of us riding on it.

What scares me is that there are moral fashions too. They're just as arbitrary, and just as invisible to most people. But they're much more dangerous. Fashion is mistaken for good design; moral fashion is mistaken for good. Dressing oddly gets you laughed at. Violating moral fashions can get you fired, ostracized, imprisoned, or even killed.

[ . . . ]

Complete article at http://www.paulgraham.com/say.html
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Review: With Galaxy S5, Samsung proves less can be more
Making graphene in your kitchen
Study casts doubt on climate benefit of biofuels from corn residue
russ_watters
Jun7-05, 12:11 PM
Mentor
P: 22,001
I must admit that after reading the first few paragraphs I only skimmed the rest, but I don't see what the article has to do with moral absolutism vs relativism.
Mirch
Jun8-05, 01:43 AM
P: 2
That gave some good ways to look at ourselves.

However, I would not say that just because most societies view one thing as right, that it is right. There are probably things common that benefit humans, and so most view it as a good. But, the idea of that being some universal, all specie good, doesnt really hold..

Rasine
Jun8-05, 08:34 PM
P: 214

Moral Relativism: There are No Moral Absolutes

i would have to think contrary to your (Dennis4) implyed corralation between morals and fashion.

morals can be absloute, that is for one individual, if, however, that person is not effected by ethics. by ethics i mean socity's principle's of living; what the people say collecetivly about how to live one's life. this may change with time. for instance, the acceptance of brith controll in the 60s that was rejected in the victorian era. now it is proclaimed to be ethical.

But, as a cathloic I see birh controll as amoral. Although it may be ethical, i would never accept it to be moral.
NEBRASKA NATURALIST
Jun13-05, 02:27 AM
P: 23
Oh Yes, There Are Moral Absolutes,
AND IMO they can be determined objectively, that is, empircally, that is, scientifically. Let me a give you a few (commonly known or acceptable) objectively determinable moral absolutes to illustrate the idea.
1) Slavery and exploitation are completely morally and reasonably wrong. Slavery is parasitism, feeding off the non-consensual choice of another for the complete benefit of an other(s). (Slavery enslaves the slave and the slave-holder.)
2) Humans are animals that have a specific set of needs, like any and all other animals and when those needs are met the animal is "happy" and maximally functional. And when they are not met, to the degree they aren't met, the human animal will first substitute any other resource available to it to substitute for the unmet need and second will go (increasingly) dysfunctional. (Dr. Maslow's Hierarchy of Human Needs.)
3) Overpopulation ruins everything for everybody, sooner or later.
4) Violence only breeds violence. Violence avoidence is generally the best policy and plan. Non-violence, except in relatively rare and extreme cases and emergencies, eventually will win out.
5) Life is a means to an end - and not an end in itself.
6) There are some things worse than death.

There are probably many tens of these knowably objectively determinable absolutes. But, by the same token, one can identify subjetively maintained absolutes that arent universally true. As such, we have a basis for secular and scientifically-determinable religion.

Peace and love,
NN
Tigron-X
Jun15-05, 09:42 PM
P: 66
No, you're really claiming that there are moral absolutes, but the morality that an individual holds are subject to change. Well, of course thats true because our beliefs are subject to change as one expands his/her knowledge base. And just because someone believes something to be good, doesn't mean it is in the long run.
Nomy-the wanderer
Jun17-05, 02:11 PM
P: 188
There are absolutes...Probably!

But i think it depends on people's beleifs, education, community, ..bla bla.
I don't beleive in absolutes in general, but there r things that a large number of people agree on..So maybe these are what uc an call absolutes...

But everyone of us is really in his own frame of referrence, looking to the world through his own glasses, so morality also comes when u try to understand what's goin on with the other frame sittin next to u..
Tigron-X
Jun29-05, 03:33 PM
P: 66
Here is my thing about absolutes:

If one made the claim, "There are no absolutes." Then wouldn't that statement contradict itself since it just stated an absolute?
force majeure
Jun30-05, 01:29 AM
P: 7
Of course there are moral absolutes.

Aren't murder, adultery, and theft universally considered wrong?

Some might argue that universal perception does not determine what is absolute. So how does one truly perceive what is absolute?

There has to be moral absolutes. Otherwise there is only chaos.
El Hombre Invisible
Jun30-05, 06:41 AM
P: 1,017
Quote Quote by force majeure
Of course there are moral absolutes.

Aren't murder, adultery, and theft universally considered wrong?
Not if your society values sacrifice to the gods and free love and rejects material possessions.

Quote Quote by force majeure
There has to be moral absolutes. Otherwise there is only chaos.
Why? Why cannot two societies with complete opposite moral values coexist? Each society would be ordered within itself, with each member adhering to that society's moral codes, but the two societies themselves are entirely different and so no moral absolutes exist.
AKG
Jun30-05, 08:48 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,589
Quote Quote by Tigron-X
Here is my thing about absolutes:

If one made the claim, "There are no absolutes." Then wouldn't that statement contradict itself since it just stated an absolute?
That's why you make the claim, "There are no moral absolutes." Such a claim is an absolute claim in itself, but not a moral absolute, so there is no contradiction.
sneez
Jun30-05, 01:44 PM
P: 355
WEll two opposite morals community could be existing at the same time but only one of them is 'right' in its perception of reality and fullfiling the meaning of their existence.

SO moral absolutes can exists even though not every community/individual knows about them and/or follows them.

In otherword there is only one TRUTH, one correct interpretation of our physical world. SInce our 'morals/beliefs/knowledge' are based on this physical world (what we can sense) there is only one CORRECT set of morals/beliefs/etc . Of cause only the frameworks, not the details , etc.
selfAdjoint
Jun30-05, 03:33 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 8,147
[QUOTE=sneez]WEll two opposite morals community could be existing at the same time but only one of them is 'right' in its perception of reality and fullfiling the meaning of their existence.{/quote]

Physical reality has not since Hume been thought to have anything to contribute to morals.
Meaning of existence is an ill-defined phrase that different schools of thought interpret differently. Thomistic theology and Sartrian Existentialism, for example.

SO moral absolutes can exists even though not every community/individual knows about them and/or follows them.
Petitio principi; begging the question; you are assuming what you claim to show.

In otherword there is only one TRUTH, one correct interpretation of our physical world. SInce our 'morals/beliefs/knowledge' are based on this physical world (what we can sense) there is only one CORRECT set of morals/beliefs/etc . Of cause only the frameworks, not the details , etc.
Repeat what I said about Hume; you can't get "ought" from "is".
Jameson
Jun30-05, 09:10 PM
P: 789
I think the problem with absolutes is that, by definition, they really don't leave any room for grey. It is black and white.

For instance, like others have said, killing a fellow person is generally accepted to be wrong.

But what about if that person breaks into your house? And has gun pointed at you?

Still think there's a general consensus?
sneez
Jun30-05, 09:11 PM
Thats very interesting about the physical reality no being connected. I have not thought about it could you give me something i can read upon this...

Can you explain me my logical error in the i dont quite get it....

thank you very much

sneez
Smurf
Jun30-05, 09:29 PM
P: 2,891
I don't really see you making a logical error per se, but you make a few assumptions that are not necessarily true, for example
Quote Quote by sneez
there is only one TRUTH
Which about half the student body and 3/4 of the faculty of the philosophy department at my university would disagree with you on.

Some food for thought:
WEll two opposite morals community could be existing at the same time but only one of them is 'right' in its perception of reality and fullfiling the meaning of their existence.
Just because two people disagree does not mean one is more right than the other, they may be both equally right (or, you could say, equally wrong). And if one is more 'right' than the other, how do you prove it?

Everybody interpretes and perceives our world differently, what may be self-evident as wrong to one person, another person may be completely indifferent towards, or he/she may desire it. So if you're going to say something is absolute you must use more than people's perspectives to argue it.
sneez
Jun30-05, 10:26 PM
I see. thanx,

About the two communities, of cause there is more option of both of them being wrong etc but my point was that that two communities in opposite moral can coexist. And even though each one of them will think they are right one of them will be wrong (if the other is following the 'truth');

Now about the truth definition i had in mind. And about the perception....

I assumed that since our universe seems to be obeying one law (the ultimate theory scientist are trying to crack) there is only one correct interpretation of the laws physical objects obey. Plus throughout the universe we assume that physical laws are the same.

I made connection with morals here because we live as physical objects (our learning/growth/etc must come from material world, lets drop soul and stuff for now) and perceive only physical objects. human cannot perceive anything which is not an object (physical).

NOw the connection: since we learn from physical world and form beliefs based on it, if we got the physical interpretation correctly we should derive the correct beliefs about us as well. Therefore an 'absolute' moral could be formed.

Now im not sure if i cleared things up (how i meant them) or the opposite. IF i did the same mistake let me know.

sneez
Smurf
Jun30-05, 11:47 PM
P: 2,891
Quote Quote by sneez
About the two communities, of cause there is more option of both of them being wrong etc but my point was that that two communities in opposite moral can coexist. And even though each one of them will think they are right one of them will be wrong (if the other is following the 'truth');

Now about the truth definition i had in mind. And about the perception....

I assumed that since our universe seems to be obeying one law (the ultimate theory scientist are trying to crack) there is only one correct interpretation of the laws physical objects obey. Plus throughout the universe we assume that physical laws are the same.

I made connection with morals here because we live as physical objects (our learning/growth/etc must come from material world, lets drop soul and stuff for now) and perceive only physical objects. human cannot perceive anything which is not an object (physical).

NOw the connection: since we learn from physical world and form beliefs based on it, if we got the physical interpretation correctly we should derive the correct beliefs about us as well. Therefore an 'absolute' moral could be formed.
(Leaving aside any Solipsism ideas)

Here you make 3 assumptions:
1.You are also assuming that humans (to whom alone, morals apply) are also subject to definite, unchanging rules of the universe. This is, in science, in debate.
see: Freewill, Heisenberg's Uncertainty principle.

2. That a single 'true' series of events has, as a result, a single 'true' corresponding moral absolute of 'right' or 'wrong'.

3. That this single 'true' series of events can be determined by humans by some systematic procedure, and that every human will arrive at the same result.

#2 + 3 are very interesting things because in order to argue them you have to define what morality is, which brings up all sorts of questions. Are morals only defined by humans? Can they exist without humans? Can non-humans commit moral or immoral acts? Can inanimate objects be moral or immoral?

--
*sigh* I miss saint.

Register to reply