Here i am again Newtons second law

In summary, the conversation discusses two different problems related to forces on a horizontal surface and a vertical inclined plane. The first problem asks for the value of m_1 for which the acceleration of two blocks is equal to zero, expressed in terms of m_2 and g. The second problem involves calculating the magnitude of the resultant force from three individual force vectors with given magnitudes and angles.
badman
Consider another special case in which the inclined plane is vertical (\theta=\pi/2). In this case, for what value of m_1 would the acceleration of the two blocks be equal to zero?
Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables m_2 and g.

a good point in the direction will help :yuck:

Attachments

• 46055_a.jpg
    46055_a.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 709
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a Free Body Diagram for each box, and i recommend for the inclined box to have a system of coordinates at the angle theta with respect to the horizontal.

The acceleration of the two blocks be equal to zero when the weight of Block 1 is equals to the tension of string. Then, there is no net force acting on Block 1, hence Block 2, the velocity is uniform or equals to zero.

thanks guys. can you help me with a another problem.
Now imagine two points, Q and P, that divide the rope into segments L, M ,and R. View Figure The rope remains stationary. Assume that segment L exerts a force of magnitude F_LM on segment M. What is the magnitude F_RM of the force exerted by segment R on segment M?
Give your answer in terms of F_LM and constants such as g.

shouldn't the force acting on segment R be equal to the force segment M exerted on it but in opposite direction?

i inputed F_lm *G but it said i was missing a multiplicative factor?

Attachments

• MFS_3l_10_b.jpg
    MFS_3l_10_b.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 798
badman said:
i inputed F_lm *G but it said i was missing a multiplicative factor?
Why did you multiply by "G"?

whoops i was thinking of another answer to another problem i had. sorry bout that

another problem

nvm, i had another question but i already solved it

Last edited:
heres another i can't seem to right

The diagram below shows a block of mass m=2.0\; \rm kg on a frictionless horizontal surface, as seen from above. Three forces of magnitudes F_1 = 4.0\;{\rm N}, F_2 = 6.0\;{\rm N}, and F_3 = 8.0\;{\rm N} are applied to the block, initially at rest on the surface, at angles shown on the diagram. View Figure In this problem, you will determine the resultant (total) force vector from the combination of the three individual force vectors. All angles should be measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis (i.e., all angles are positive).

this is the question
Calculate the magnitude of the total resultant force \vec{F}_{\rm r} = \vec{F}_1+ \vec{F}_2 +\vec{F}_3 acting on the mass.
Express the magnitude of the resultant force in Newtons to two significant figures.

i already know the formula and that i need to break this down into compenents. for each force vector.
the confusing thing is the angles, that i need.

this is basically how i set it up. Fx1= N*cos155
fy1=N*sin155
fx2 and fy2 i can't seem to get
fx3=N*cos325
fy3=Ncos325

are the angles right, i can't seem to figure out the angle for the vector F_2

Attachments

• 1206.jpg
    1206.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 675
badman said:
this is basically how i set it up. Fx1= N*cos155
fy1=N*sin155
fx2 and fy2 i can't seem to get
fx3=N*cos325
fy3=Ncos325

are the angles right, i can't seem to figure out the angle for the vector F_2
The angles are not right. As marked in the diagram, the angle that each vector makes with the +x axis is:
F1 is at 25 degrees (not 155);
F2 is at 325 degrees;
F3 is at 180 degrees (it points in the -x direction, which is 180 degrees from the +x direction).

thanks doc.

1. What is Newton's second law?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the bigger the force applied to an object, the more it will accelerate and the heavier the object, the less it will accelerate.

2. How is Newton's second law related to force and mass?

As mentioned in the definition of the law, the acceleration of an object is dependent on the net force acting on it and its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Similarly, the greater the mass of an object, the smaller its acceleration will be for the same amount of force applied.

3. What is the equation for Newton's second law?

The equation for Newton's second law is F=ma, where F represents the net force, m represents the mass of the object, and a represents the acceleration. This equation can also be rearranged as a=F/m and m=F/a to solve for any of the three variables.

4. How is Newton's second law applied in real life?

Newton's second law can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as calculating the acceleration of a car based on the force applied by the engine and the mass of the car, determining the force needed to lift an object, or understanding the motion of objects in sports like baseball or tennis.

5. Are there any limitations to Newton's second law?

While Newton's second law is a fundamental principle in physics, it does have limitations. It assumes that the mass of an object remains constant, and it does not consider other factors such as air resistance or friction. These limitations can be addressed by incorporating other laws and principles, such as Newton's first law of motion and the concept of work and energy.