Tags: loch, monster, mystery, ness, solved
Share this thread:
Ivan Seeking
Jun6-05, 11:49 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,498
THE MYSTERY of what happened to the infamous Loch Ness monster hoaxer has finally been solved.

Frank Searle lived on Loch Ness during the 1970s and became a celebrity when he claimed to be the first person in history to capture real pictures of Nessie.

His most famous photograph, which many likened to a floating tree trunk, brought Searle to the attention of the world's media and produced an adoring fan base. He even inspired a monster-hunter character played by Keith Allen in the 1996 Hollywood film Loch Ness, starring Ted Danson.

However, rumours soon started to emerge that his pictures were a hoax and The Loch Ness Story, a book by the BBC's Nicholas Witchell, labelled them fakes.

After being exposed as a hoaxer, Searle's own life became a mystery when he seemed to disappear without trace in 1983 after leaving Loch Ness.

He went missing shortly after Adrian Shine, of the Drumnadrochit-based Loch Ness Project, was injured in a petrol bomb attack following a war of words with Searle. [continued]
http://news.scotsman.com/scitech.cfm?id=570402005
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Law changed to allow 'unlocking' cellphones
Microsoft sues Samsung alleging contract breach
Best evidence yet for coronal heating theory detected by NASA sounding rocket
hypatia
Jun7-05, 02:28 PM
P: 1,298
I'm sort of sad to hear he's dead, I know he sparked my imagination and wonder for years.

Register to reply