The independance of horizontal and vertical motion....

by Cheman
Tags: horizontal, independance, motion, vertical
Cheman
Jun22-05, 04:15 PM
P: 236
Obviously it is possible to prove the independance of horizontal and vertical motion empirically - we only need look at projectile motion following a parabolic path. However, I have never found a convincing algebraic proof the for the independence of these 2 types of motion.

I have asked my physics teacher and he says that it can apparetly be proved by treating Gravity as a Vector, and then assessing the overall motion of a body - apparently things like "gcos90" appears, which obviously equal "0", and this can be used to show the independance of horizontal and vertical motion.

If anyone could supply me with a convincing algebriac proof i would be really greatful!

Thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
ZapperZ
Jun22-05, 04:41 PM
Mentor
P: 28,804
Quote Quote by Cheman
Obviously it is possible to prove the independance of horizontal and vertical motion empirically - we only need look at projectile motion following a parabolic path. However, I have never found a convincing algebraic proof the for the independence of these 2 types of motion.

I have asked my physics teacher and he says that it can apparetly be proved by treating Gravity as a Vector, and then assessing the overall motion of a body - apparently things like "gcos90" appears, which obviously equal "0", and this can be used to show the independance of horizontal and vertical motion.

If anyone could supply me with a convincing algebriac proof i would be really greatful!

Thanks in advance.
What do you mean by "algebraic proof"? If you accept the mathematical concept of a vector, then if you have the vector oriented along the x-axis, can you find the component of the vector along the y-axis?

Zz.
Claude Bile
Jun22-05, 06:45 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,465
The x and y unit vectors are orthogonal, thus the x and y components can be treated seperately. A ZapperZ pointed out, there really is no algebraic proof to consider.

Claude.

pervect
Jun22-05, 07:09 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
P: 7,439

The independance of horizontal and vertical motion....

You also need to define how vectors multiply before you can say that[tex]\hat{x}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{y}[/tex] are orthagonal. A metric such as

ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2

is one way of giving the necessary defintion of the vector product [tex]\hat{x} \cdot \hat{y}[/tex], and a diagonal metric such as the specific example above is necessary and sufficient to make these two vectors orthagonal.
HallsofIvy
Jun23-05, 10:43 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,886
You can't prove a physical fact mathematically! They can only be proven by experiment (what you called "empirically").

(If you assume that physical velocity can be represented by mathematical vectors, then you can use the properties of vectors. Of course, you would have to base that "assumption" on experiment.)

Register to reply