The independance of horizontal and vertical motion

In summary: What do you mean by "algebraic proof"? If you accept the mathematical concept of a vector, then if you have the vector oriented along the x-axis, can you find the component of the vector along the y-axis? Zz.The x and y unit vectors are orthogonal, thus the x and y components can be treated seperately. A ZapperZ pointed out, there really is no algebraic proof to consider. Claude.You also need to define how vectors multiply before you can say that\hat{x} and \hat{y} are orthagonal. A metric such asds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2
Cheman
The independance of horizontal and vertical motion...

Obviously it is possible to prove the independance of horizontal and vertical motion empirically - we only need look at projectile motion following a parabolic path. However, I have never found a convincing algebraic proof the for the independence of these 2 types of motion.

I have asked my physics teacher and he says that it can apparetly be proved by treating Gravity as a Vector, and then assessing the overall motion of a body - apparently things like "gcos90" appears, which obviously equal "0", and this can be used to show the independance of horizontal and vertical motion.

If anyone could supply me with a convincing algebriac proof i would be really greatful! :tongue2:

Thanks in advance. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Cheman said:
Obviously it is possible to prove the independance of horizontal and vertical motion empirically - we only need look at projectile motion following a parabolic path. However, I have never found a convincing algebraic proof the for the independence of these 2 types of motion.

I have asked my physics teacher and he says that it can apparetly be proved by treating Gravity as a Vector, and then assessing the overall motion of a body - apparently things like "gcos90" appears, which obviously equal "0", and this can be used to show the independance of horizontal and vertical motion.

If anyone could supply me with a convincing algebriac proof i would be really greatful! :tongue2:

Thanks in advance. :smile:

What do you mean by "algebraic proof"? If you accept the mathematical concept of a vector, then if you have the vector oriented along the x-axis, can you find the component of the vector along the y-axis?

Zz.

The x and y unit vectors are orthogonal, thus the x and y components can be treated seperately. A ZapperZ pointed out, there really is no algebraic proof to consider.

Claude.

You also need to define how vectors multiply before you can say that[tex]\hat{x}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{y}[/tex] are orthagonal. A metric such as

ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2

is one way of giving the necessary defintion of the vector product [tex]\hat{x} \cdot \hat{y}[/tex], and a diagonal metric such as the specific example above is necessary and sufficient to make these two vectors orthagonal.

You can't prove a physical fact mathematically! They can only be proven by experiment (what you called "empirically").

(If you assume that physical velocity can be represented by mathematical vectors, then you can use the properties of vectors. Of course, you would have to base that "assumption" on experiment.)

1. What is the independence of horizontal and vertical motion?

The independence of horizontal and vertical motion refers to the fact that these two types of motion do not affect each other. In other words, the motion in one direction does not influence the motion in the other direction.

2. Why is it important to understand the independence of horizontal and vertical motion?

Understanding the independence of horizontal and vertical motion is crucial in accurately predicting and analyzing the motion of objects. It allows us to break down complex motions into simpler components and apply different equations and principles to each direction separately.

3. Can the independence of horizontal and vertical motion be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the independence of horizontal and vertical motion can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, circular, and projectile motion. As long as the motion occurs in two perpendicular directions, the principles of independence of motion can be applied.

4. How is the independence of horizontal and vertical motion demonstrated in real-life scenarios?

One of the most common examples of the independence of horizontal and vertical motion is seen in projectile motion, such as a ball being thrown or a basketball being shot into a hoop. The horizontal and vertical components of the motion are independent of each other, allowing the object to follow a curved path.

5. Are there any exceptions to the independence of horizontal and vertical motion?

In most cases, the independence of horizontal and vertical motion holds true. However, in certain scenarios where external forces, such as air resistance, are present, there may be some interaction between the horizontal and vertical components of motion. This is often seen in real-life scenarios, such as a parachute falling from the sky.