Can you check my proof?

by learningphysics
Tags: check, proof
Share this thread:
learningphysics
Jun25-05, 06:52 PM
HW Helper
P: 4,124
An antisymmetric tensor of rank two [tex]E_{ij}[/tex] has [tex]E_{ij}=-E_{ji}[/tex] for all i and j right? Meaning for i=j, [tex]E_{ij}=0 [/tex]... Just wanted to make sure of this.

Here's what I'm trying to prove. Given [tex]E_{ij}[/tex] is an antisymmetric tensor. Is [tex]E_{ij,k}[/tex] a tensor?

I get yes. Here's my proof:

[tex]E_{i'j',k'} =\sum_i \sum_j \sum_k (\frac{\partial}{x^k}(E_{ij}\frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^{j'}}))\frac{\partial x^k}{\partial x^{k'}}[/tex]

This reduces to:
[tex]\sum_i \sum_j \sum_k E_{ij,k}\frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^{j'}}\frac{\partial x^k}{\partial x^{k'}} + \sum_i \sum_j \sum_k E_{ij}(\frac{\partial}{x^k}(\frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^{j'}}))\frac{\partial x^k}{\partial x^{k'}}[/tex]

Finally after rewriting the second part:
[tex]\sum_i \sum_j \sum_k E_{ij,k}\frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^{j'}}\frac{\partial x^k}{\partial x^{k'}} + \sum_i \sum_j \sum_k E_{ij}(\frac{{\partial}^2 x^i}{\partial x^k \partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^{j'}} + \frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^{i'}}\frac{{\partial}^2 x^j}{\partial x^k \partial x^{j'}})\frac{\partial x^k}{\partial x^{k'}}[/tex]

The expression [tex]E_{ij}[/tex] is multiplied by in the second triple summation is symmetric about i and j... so if I write one element of the second summation as:
[tex]E_{ij}X_{ijk}[/tex]... so we add two elements of this sum [tex]i_1[/tex] and [tex]j_1[/tex] are not equal:

[tex]E_{i_1 j_1}X_{i_1 j_1 k_1} + E_{j_1 i_1}X_{j_1 i_1 k_1} = E_{i_1 j_1}X_{i_1 j_1 k_1} - E_{i_1 j_1}X_{i_1 j_1 k_1} =0[/tex] since E is antisymmetric, and X is symmetric about i and j...

So in this manner each element with indices [tex]i_1,j_1,k_1[/tex] where the i and j elements are different, cancels with the element with indices [tex]j_1,i_1,k_1[/tex].

And when [tex]i_1 = j_1[/tex] we have [tex]E_{i_1,j_1} =0 [/tex] so that element in the summation is 0 anyway.

So the second summation goes to zero. And we have:

[tex]E_{i'j',k'} = \sum_i \sum_j \sum_k E_{ij,k}\frac{\partial x^i}{\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial x^j}{\partial x^{j'}}\frac{\partial x^k}{\partial x^{k'}}[/tex] so [tex]E_{ij,k}[/tex] is a tensor?

Does this look right? Thanks a bunch.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
dextercioby
Jun25-05, 07:21 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,927
Of course it's incorrect.

This part

[tex] \frac{\partial^{2}x^{i}}{\partial x^{k'}\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial x^{j}}{\partial x^{j'}}+\frac{\partial x^{i}}{\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial^{2}x^{j}}{\partial x^{k'}\partial x^{j'}} [/tex]

is obviously nonsymmetric in "i" and "j" and nonantisymmetric in <<j'>> and <<k'>>.

Daniel.
quetzalcoatl9
Jun26-05, 09:13 AM
P: 701
what could you do to make it a tensor?

Hint:

[tex]A_{i,j}[/tex] is not a tensor but
[tex]A_{i,j} - A_{j,i}[/tex] is a tensor

learningphysics
Jun26-05, 09:26 PM
HW Helper
Can you check my proof?

Quote Quote by dextercioby
Of course it's incorrect.

This part

[tex] \frac{\partial^{2}x^{i}}{\partial x^{k'}\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial x^{j}}{\partial x^{j'}}+\frac{\partial x^{i}}{\partial x^{i'}}\frac{\partial^{2}x^{j}}{\partial x^{k'}\partial x^{j'}} [/tex]

is obviously nonsymmetric in "i" and "j" and nonantisymmetric in <<j'>> and <<k'>>.

Daniel.
Thanks dexter.
learningphysics
Jun26-05, 09:45 PM
HW Helper
Quote Quote by quetzalcoatl9
what could you do to make it a tensor?

Hint:

[tex]A_{i,j}[/tex] is not a tensor but
[tex]A_{i,j} - A_{j,i}[/tex] is a tensor

I just proved that [tex]E_{ij,k} + E_{jk,i} + E_{ki,j}[/tex] is a tensor where [tex]E_{ij}[/tex] is antisymmetric. Is that what you were referring to?
quetzalcoatl9
Jun27-05, 01:40 AM
P: 701
Quote Quote by learningphysics
I just proved that [tex]E_{ij,k} + E_{jk,i} + E_{ki,j}[/tex] is a tensor where [tex]E_{ij}[/tex] is antisymmetric. Is that what you were referring to?
yes

Register to reply