generalized coordinates

by radou
Tags: coordinates, generalized
radou
Jul3-05, 01:34 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,225
I have just started to read Goldstein's classical mechanics, and he got me a bit confused: is it correct to think of polar and spherical coordinates as of generalized coordinates? the way I got it, every coordinate system different from the standard cartesian-one is a set of generalized coordinates...?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
dextercioby
Jul3-05, 01:38 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,863
No. Think about the 1D movement along the "x" axis. Which is the generalized coordinate...?

Daniel.
fliptomato
Jul3-05, 01:40 PM
P: 78
Generalized coordinates refer to any coordinate system. i.e. a statement about generalized coordinates holds for cartesian, spherical, cylindrical, etc. coordinate systems. In particular, one is free to choose any convenient coordinate system for a problem and solve the problem using Lagrange's equations for that coordinate system.

CarlB
Jul3-05, 05:14 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,204

generalized coordinates

Quote Quote by radou
I have just started to read Goldstein's classical mechanics, and he got me a bit confused: is it correct to think of polar and spherical coordinates as of generalized coordinates?
Yes, polar and spherical coordinates are generalized coordiantes for the position of a single particle. But general coordinates are a lot moe general. And cartesian coordinates are, technically at least, also "general coordinates".

Carl

Register to reply