Generalized coordinates

by radou
Tags: coordinates, generalized
Share this thread:
radou
Jul3-05, 01:34 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,220
I have just started to read Goldstein's classical mechanics, and he got me a bit confused: is it correct to think of polar and spherical coordinates as of generalized coordinates? the way I got it, every coordinate system different from the standard cartesian-one is a set of generalized coordinates...?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
dextercioby
Jul3-05, 01:38 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,927
No. Think about the 1D movement along the "x" axis. Which is the generalized coordinate...?

Daniel.
fliptomato
Jul3-05, 01:40 PM
P: 78
Generalized coordinates refer to any coordinate system. i.e. a statement about generalized coordinates holds for cartesian, spherical, cylindrical, etc. coordinate systems. In particular, one is free to choose any convenient coordinate system for a problem and solve the problem using Lagrange's equations for that coordinate system.

CarlB
Jul3-05, 05:14 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,204
Generalized coordinates

Quote Quote by radou
I have just started to read Goldstein's classical mechanics, and he got me a bit confused: is it correct to think of polar and spherical coordinates as of generalized coordinates?
Yes, polar and spherical coordinates are generalized coordiantes for the position of a single particle. But general coordinates are a lot moe general. And cartesian coordinates are, technically at least, also "general coordinates".

Carl

Register to reply