Register to reply

What is the next big thing?

by sniffer
Tags: thing
Share this thread:
sniffer
Jul8-05, 01:03 AM
P: 112
if someone wants to starts PhD in physics from scratch, what is the sexiest research?

i mean what is the next BIG thing in physics, something that leads to both intense development and BIG money!!!!. . ..

no body wants to be a poor physicist . what do think guys?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
Nusc
Jul8-05, 02:32 AM
P: 779
Rethink your intentions before stepping into the void. Otherwise you will never see the light of day unless you are able to strip your materialistic views.
Those who choose the theoretical part of the natural sciences do not do it for the monetary award.
Pengwuino
Jul8-05, 02:42 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
Sexiest? electron stripping

anyone get it?

Nusc
Jul8-05, 02:47 AM
What is the next big thing?

That made my day
sniffer
Jul8-05, 03:20 AM
ok. money aside.

what is the next big thing?
Nusc
Jul8-05, 03:28 AM
I see strings that lead to a path of no return.
marlon
Jul8-05, 03:51 AM
P: 4,006
Quote Quote by sniffer
if someone wants to starts PhD in physics from scratch, what is the sexiest research?

i mean what is the next BIG thing in physics, something that leads to both intense development and BIG money!!!!. . ..

no body wants to be a poor physicist . what do think guys?
nanotechnology, more specifically high k dielectrics (read my journal for moe info on the phd students life in the nanotech world) and spintronics : the application of General Relativity in semi conductor physics. You know that Einstein proved that if you take two observers and one electric field, the observer that is standing still wrt the E field sees the actual E field but the moving observer sees a B field in stead of an E field.

When you wanna manipulate the spin of conduction electrons, you need to apply a B field but realizing this relativity effect, you can manipulate the spin without using a B field. The moving electrons will see the electrical field as a B field and thus you can use electrical quantities to change the spin. You also know that if the B field is perpendicular to the spin direction and if it is strong enough, you can change the spins over direction 180 degrees. This technique can be used to manipulate the info stored in a certain spin-polarized sample...

Here is where i do my phd : http://www.imec.be/ and we have a prof here that has published an article in NATURE on this spintronics stuff.

marlon
sniffer
Jul8-05, 04:42 AM
a good website. interesting.
which country is at the moment the leader in nano-technology?
any specific institutions?

i heard about the impending oil crisis. we will soon leave our carbon economy.

maybe energy sector is going to be very the next big thing?
such as nuclear power, or revolutionary solar cells etc.
ITER? thermonuclear?

technology which are crisis-driven tend to break new grounds.

??? maybe.

thanks.
sniffer
Jul8-05, 04:57 AM
hmmh.... sorry. it takes me sometime to contemplate what you said in the 2nd paragraph there, marlon.

this part on your web solar cells: http://www.imec.be/ovinter/static_re...larcells.shtml
related to what i said in previous post.

For Nusc: yes, what you said is correct. i agree in a sense that for physicist, some how we need to think in more idealistic way. often good physicist only ends up teaching. if we don't appreciate what we have, we cannot "see the light of day" as you said.

thanks.
marlon
Jul8-05, 05:30 AM
P: 4,006
Quote Quote by sniffer
hmmh.... sorry. it takes me sometime to contemplate what you said in the 2nd paragraph there, marlon.

this part on your web solar cells: http://www.imec.be/ovinter/static_re...larcells.shtml
related to what i said in previous post.
what exactly do you mean ?

marlon
MalleusScientiarum
Jul8-05, 02:42 PM
P: n/a
There's a lot of really hot research in computational physics, particularly with condensed matter systems, out there right now. Particle physics I guess is always "sexy", but it's an extremely difficult field to break into, and a lot of the physics community has some issues with the way high energy theory is conducted right now.
ludi_srbin
Jul8-05, 02:59 PM
P: 138
Something related to the new technologies for cheaper and cleaner energy. Oil is gonna run out so we need something new. If I was a genious I would go for Nuclear Fussion.
cronxeh
Jul8-05, 03:44 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,236
controlled fusion, biological nanoblocks

in computing, by some estimates (http://www.aeiveos.com/~bradbury/pet.../siardmap.html) in 2014 the CPUs will have a 34 nm feature size, 19.3 Ghz internal clock, 664 million logic transistors/cm^2, 4308 million transistors per chip, 48 GB dram, and 0.5 voltage core. And by other estimates the size will shrink down to 22 nm (0.022 microns)
Pengwuino
Jul8-05, 04:02 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by cronxeh
controlled fusion, biological nanoblocks

in computing, by some estimates (http://www.aeiveos.com/~bradbury/pet.../siardmap.html) in 2014 the CPUs will have a 34 nm feature size, 19.3 Ghz internal clock, 664 million logic transistors/cm^2, 4308 million transistors per chip, 48 GB dram, and 0.5 voltage core. And by other estimates the size will shrink down to 22 nm (0.022 microns)

All that for Microsoft Word 2014
zeronem
Jul8-05, 04:14 PM
P: 100
Quote Quote by marlon
You know that Einstein proved that if you take two observers and one electric field, the observer that is standing still wrt the E field sees the actual E field but the moving observer sees a B field in stead of an E field.
Einstein proved that? I thought that arose naturally from Maxwell's study of Electromagnetic Phenomena.
Lyuokdea
Jul8-05, 04:32 PM
P: 198
Quote Quote by Pengwuino
All that for Microsoft Word 2014
Yeah, but with a graphics engine that powerful behind Word we now know what the sexiest thing will be...

the worlds sexiest paperclip.

~Lyuokdea
Pengwuino
Jul8-05, 05:13 PM
PF Gold
ahahaha

Itd be 3d and would read your mind
Baggio
Jul9-05, 06:48 PM
P: 212
Quantum computing and cryptography