Heat/Temperature Physics Problem

• Thread starter pippermay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for help with a problem involving a constant-volume gas thermometer and using the correct equation to find the pressure at a certain temperature. The correct equation is (P1/T1) = (P2/T2) and the person is solving for P2. The summary also mentions the importance of using absolute temperature, measured in Kelvin, for the variable T in the equation.
pippermay
Hi,

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong with the following problem. The computer keeps telling me that I am coming up with the wrong answer.

In a constant-volume gas thermmoeter, the pressure at 18.0 C is 0.980 atm. What is the pressure at 42.0 C?

I am using the equation (P1/T1) = (P2/T2) and I am solving for P2.

(P1/T1) = (P2/T2)
P2 = (P1/T1)(T2)
P2 = (0.980/18.0)(42.0)
P2 = 2.29 atm

I know this is a really simple problem, but I just don't understand what I am doing wrong. Someone please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the temperature T, you MUST use the ABSOLUTE temperature, which is measured in Kelvin.

Hi there,

You are on the right track with using the equation (P1/T1) = (P2/T2) to solve this problem. However, there is a small mistake in your calculations. When plugging in the values for P1 and T1, you should use the absolute temperature in Kelvin, not Celsius. This is because the temperature scale used in the ideal gas law is Kelvin, not Celsius.

So, the correct equation should be (P1/T1) = (P2/T2) and when plugging in the values, it should be P2 = (0.980/291)(315) = 1.06 atm.

I hope this helps! Remember to always double check your units and use the correct temperature scale when working with gas laws. Good luck!

1. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy from one object to another, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles within an object. In other words, heat is a form of energy, while temperature is a measurement of the intensity of that energy.

2. How is heat measured?

Heat is measured in units of energy, such as joules or calories. In scientific contexts, the SI unit for heat is the joule (J), while in everyday life, the calorie (cal) is commonly used.

3. Can heat flow from a colder object to a hotter object?

No, heat naturally flows from hotter objects to colder objects. This is because heat always flows from areas of high energy (hotter objects) to areas of low energy (colder objects) in an attempt to reach thermal equilibrium.

4. What is the relationship between heat and temperature?

Heat and temperature are closely related, but not interchangeable. The amount of heat an object contains depends on its mass, specific heat capacity, and temperature. As an object gains heat, its temperature will increase, and as it loses heat, its temperature will decrease.

5. How does heat transfer occur?

Heat can be transferred through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects, while convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves, such as sunlight.