Tags: horse, reviving
Share this thread:
Monique
Nov4-03, 02:19 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
At my past job I had this computer, with the latest processor and huge screen. I just had to think about starting some software, and *whoesh* it would already be there, so fast.

Now.. now I have been assigned a work horse from the 19th century.. I started it up yesterday.. it took me 15 (!) minutes to get grandpa to work for me.

It is actually not a very old computer, it has Windows 98 on it. The last time the HD has been checked for errors is 974 days ago..

Now, I need your guys help (I'm afraid the message would get lost in such a long post :P). I have no idea how to work with Windows 98, is there a task manager? What I found to be the problem is that there seem to be programs running in the background, which take up all the CPU (I think). The reason the HD hasn't been checked in so long is that it gets interrupted continuously by a program writing to C (no clue what it could be) so it has to restart continously and after a while gives up.

I ran a virus scan, but nothing turned up.. any suggestion? Besides bringing my notebook, which is a pain to bring in rush hour. I spent 40 minutes in the train today with 6 people on 1 sq meter (meter is 3 ft). There were three men standing in front of me, one foot away, literally, a foot inbetween.. they kept dropping the newspaper on my head while turning the pages, gee. I was sitting at the first stairstep, with the legs of two people besides me who were sitting two steps higher, oh the comfort.. After which I was lucky enough to jump as the last fitting person into the subway.. after which 4 people squirmed in while the doors were closing.. and people complain about having to sit in the luxery of their car.. moving along at a relaxing slow pace.. but that is another topic :P
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
chroot
Nov4-03, 03:03 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,429
Originally posted by Monique
I spent 40 minutes in the train today with 6 people on 1 sq meter (meter is 3 ft). There were three men standing in front of me, one foot away, literally, a foot inbetween.. they kept dropping the newspaper on my head while turning the pages, gee. I was sitting at the first stairstep, with the legs of two people besides me who were sitting two steps higher, oh the comfort.. After which I was lucky enough to jump as the last fitting person into the subway.. after which 4 people squirmed in while the doors were closing.. and people complain about having to sit in the luxery of their car.. moving along at a relaxing slow pace.. but that is another topic :P
At least you didn't get groped. I always get groped.

- Warren
Monique
Nov4-03, 03:07 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Originally posted by chroot
At least you didn't get groped. I always get groped.

- Warren
Says who? j/k

dduardo
Nov4-03, 04:42 PM
Emeritus
P: 1,919
Reviving an old horse

Ahh, the memories. I remember back in the day when i ran windows 98. Had to be the greatest pile of manurer ever created by the Microsoft Corporation. Now to address your concerns:

1) Unfortunetly, Windows 98 doesn't come with a great task manager, if you can even call it that. To get access to it simply do the three finger salute - Ctrl+Alt+Delete. It will give you the names of the current running applications. Once there, you can kill an application. Hopefully windows won't lock up in the process and have you reboot.

2) If you have a slow computer, turn off the antivirus. It is the most processor consuming application because it is constantly interupting other processes to analyze your data. Just run it when you read emails and you should be fine.

3) I'm sorry you have to utilize public transportation. Why don't you try to keep a job for a least a week and save up to purchase a car. . j/k. Just make sure the next time you get on a train/subway to bring a taser and give the person next to you a good shock if they touch you.
Monique
Nov4-03, 05:09 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
1. I'll try that.. the computer has had the nasty habit of vreezing when I tried that manuver.. but at that time I had explorer running.. I'll try it after start up.

2. I tried to find a way to shut it off, but I really couldn't find anything that indictated it was active, I'll try again (I am working in a highly secured hospital network, but apparently they still get virusses from laptop users that plugin locally and thus spread virusses from within, maybe thats why there is something monitoring the computer)

3. Car, you know how much gasoline costs in Europe?? You also know that at rush hour all the driveways are basically parkways? AND did you know, public transportation is free for students?

You might not realize it, but here people prefer to use public transportation over driving a car, parking is expensive, if you can find a spot to park in that is

At least it is not that bad I have to sit ON TOP of the train, as in some parts of this world.. can you imagine, me climbing up on top of the train, lol
dduardo
Nov4-03, 05:29 PM
Emeritus
3. Car, you know how much gasoline costs in Europe??
Isn't that a good excuse to come back to the United States.

I am working in a highly secured hospital network
Hmm. Why don't you steal the medical records and ransom them off for a couple hundred million. You could buy your own private island!
megashawn
Nov4-03, 06:53 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 506
Well, I know your plight. I've got an ancient pc at work, also with Win98.

Most your questions have been answered, I just wanted to point out the pointlessness of trying to improve the pc.

Likely, it is short on ram. Sounds like the problem to me. Many times people will get out cheaper that way. You might try clearing the Temp internet files, making sure there is enough Vmemory, etc.

But basically, the best advice I can give you is when the pc grinds to a halt in the midst of an important operation, gently carress it. Machines have feelings to you know, sometimes it just needs a gentle touch and a few loving words (AHHH YOU @$*&*%$ Pile of circuits).

Your last hope would be to intentionally set it up for failure, and hope for a better model replacement.
dduardo
Nov4-03, 08:05 PM
Emeritus
Megashwan,

1)"make sure there is enough Vmemory"

Are you crazy! Virtual Memory is the slowest type of memory known to man. It utilizes the hard drive as RAM, which is only 1000 times slower.

2)" intentionally set it up for failure"

Excellent Idea! Monique, try to break something like the cdrom or if possible the motherboard. Then they have to get you a new computer (if your not fired) .
Integral
Nov5-03, 05:07 AM
Mentor
P: 7,315
Hey! Quit bashing Win98! That is all I run on my home systems, works fine for me!

Monique, is this system connected to a LAN? I found that sometimes to get defrag to work I needed to pull the LAN cable. That seemed to stop some of the HD acesses that kept restarting the defrag.

Kill everything in the systray, use the task manager to kill all unnecessary apps. (There are like 2 necessary window applications, unfortunatly I cannot recall them now, systray? and explorer perhaps.

If you are still having troubles get a copy of Regclean note that it is free ware. And use it to clean up your registry.

Good luck

PS
I was wondering if the whole train was packed or just the square meter surrounding you? ;)

Edit:
Oh yeah, Win98 REQUIRES Virtual memory, no matter how much memory you have on board. Let windows manage it, it is just simpler that way.
dduardo
Nov5-03, 09:08 AM
Emeritus
Integral, Have you thought about switching to Linux. It is the best thing since sliced bread!
Integral
Nov5-03, 09:20 AM
Mentor
P: 7,315
Is there a StarCraft package that runs on Linux?
Guybrush Threepwood
Nov5-03, 10:37 AM
P: 527
Originally posted by Integral
Is there a StarCraft package that runs on Linux?
yes, that's my biggest problem too.... not to mention Monkey Island
dduardo
Nov5-03, 11:31 AM
Emeritus
You can run vmware under linux to create a virtual windows machine. From there you should be able to run starcraft and monkey island.

WineX can also be used to run these games. Monkey Island is supposed to work nearly perfectly, but starcraft has some issues, especially with network capabilities.
Guybrush Threepwood
Nov6-03, 02:17 AM
P: 527
yes I had vmware at work on an 800MHz AMD/512 Mb. It took 2 min to open Internet Exploder, and about 5 to open Word .
At home I have an even older system. It's easier for me to just have Win98 for games and some other ocasional applications and Linux and just switch between the two by restarting.
Monique
Nov6-03, 12:16 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Originally posted by megashawn
Your last hope would be to intentionally set it up for failure, and hope for a better model replacement.

Welll... isn't that funny

I was turning off the computer off yesterday evening, after 5 min I get the command that it is now safe to turn off the computer, I push the button..

nothing happens..

the button is now stuck, can't turn it off anymore

that was my third day at work..

already messed up the precious computer..

now I just turn off the monitor at the end of the day
Monique
Nov6-03, 12:19 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Originally posted by dduardo
2)" intentionally set it up for failure"

Excellent Idea! Monique, try to break something like the cdrom or if possible the motherboard. Then they have to get you a new computer (if your not fired) .
Well, as you can see I've just done that.. now just wait for the circuits to overload and melt.. or something
Monique
Nov6-03, 12:25 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Originally posted by Integral
Monique, is this system connected to a LAN? I found that sometimes to get defrag to work I needed to pull the LAN cable. That seemed to stop some of the HD acesses that kept restarting the defrag.

Kill everything in the systray, use the task manager to kill all unnecessary apps. (There are like 2 necessary window applications, unfortunatly I cannot recall them now, systray? and explorer perhaps.

If you are still having troubles get a copy of Regclean note that it is free ware. And use it to clean up your registry.

Good luck

PS
I was wondering if the whole train was packed or just the square meter surrounding you? ;)
I'll try the LAN thingy, it would be nice to scan the HD after 3.5 years.. BUT I saw that they had gotten the defrag to work, that was done a week ago or sth..

p.s. I am not sure, I was afraid to look up
BoulderHead
Nov6-03, 12:58 PM
P: n/a
If you boot the PC into Safe Mode you should be able to defrag and/or scan the drive without difficulty. This would be simpler than shutting down programs, processes, unplugging cables, etc, and it has never failed to work for me to date.

How much memory does your computer have, how fast is the CPU?

Register to reply