Do animals dream, or have REM sleep?

by EnumaElish
Tags: animals, dream, sleep
EnumaElish
Aug11-05, 09:19 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,483
Sometimes I can swear that our pet cat is dreaming in her sleep: her jaw kind of sags, her breathing becomes sleep-like (almost audible), she has tiny jerks in her paws and arms, her whiskers tremble.

During these times, she is in a deeper kind of sleep than her more frequent "cat sleep" during which she sleeps "with one eye open."

I think on a couple of occasions she made tiny sounds and moved her mouth as if suckling or eating in her "dream." Any science to this, or am I dreaming?
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Pregnancy complications may be more common in immigrants from certain regions
Use of frozen material for fecal transplant successfully treats C. difficile infection
Death rates from pancreatic cancer predicted to rise in Europe in 2014
RAD4921
Aug11-05, 02:57 PM
P: 314
Quote Quote by EnumaElish
Sometimes I can swear that our pet cat is dreaming in her sleep: her jaw kind of sags, her breathing becomes sleep-like (almost audible), she has tiny jerks in her paws and arms, her whiskers tremble.

During these times, she is in a deeper kind of sleep than her more frequent "cat sleep" during which she sleeps "with one eye open."

I think on a couple of occasions she made tiny sounds and moved her mouth as if suckling or eating in her "dream." Any science to this, or am I dreaming?
Yes animals do dream and I used to watch my dog have dreams when he was alive.
EnumaElish
Aug11-05, 03:14 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
How do you know your dog was dreaming? You're "guessing" just like I am, right?

What I am wondering is whether there is any research on animal REM sleep, or animal sleep at all.

hypatia
Aug11-05, 03:39 PM
P: 1,296

Do animals dream, or have REM sleep?

REM sleep amounts also vary across animal species, depending on the size of the animal and its level of development at birth. The size of an animal seems to affect the type of sleep it experiences—small animals tend to spend more time in REM sleep. Animals that are born in relatively helpless states, such as opossums and humans, generally have more REM sleep as newborns than animals that can hunt, eat, keep warm, and defend themselves soon after birth, for instance guinea pigs or horses. Even as animals age into adulthood, those born relatively immature continue to spend more time in REM sleep than animals that are mature at birth. (2)
animals and people and rem sleep
EnumaElish
Aug12-05, 12:33 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks, hypatia. Am I correct to think that the content of animals' dreams is not a subject that has been researched or can be reserched?

This may sound like a question from an amateur (at best) because it is.
gerben
Aug12-05, 02:00 AM
P: 540
Yes, the content of animal dreams has certainly not been seriously researched. The only way we know about the dreams of other human beings is by them reporting that they have dreamt, and unfortunately animals cannot report this.

The notion that REM sleep means that one is dreaming solely comes from the observation that people that are awakened during REM sleep more often report to remember what they were dreaming (ranging from 70-95%) than people that are awakened during non-REM sleep (5-10%).
russ_watters
Aug12-05, 09:36 AM
Mentor
P: 22,008
I thought it was a little more direct than that - I thought rem sleep corresponded to activity in the visual cortex of the brain (which is why the eyes move). I could be mistaken though...
juvenal
Aug12-05, 09:47 AM
P: 383
My dog sometimes makes little barking and growling noises while sleeping, as if dreaming about something.
EnumaElish
Aug12-05, 10:39 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
I found this link which starts with rats and goes on to discuss birds, cats, dogs and horses and cows.
gerben
Aug12-05, 05:17 PM
P: 540
Quote Quote by russ_watters
I thought it was a little more direct than that - I thought rem sleep corresponded to activity in the visual cortex of the brain (which is why the eyes move). I could be mistaken though...
Yes, REM sleep is accompanied by a particular activity in the brain, but whether that activity leads us to experience dreams is not "measurable", let alone the contents of the dreams.

(by the way the visual cortex does not make the eyes move, it analyzes incoming visual information)

Register to reply