Tags: depressed
Share this thread:
russ_watters
Aug29-05, 09:20 AM
Mentor
P: 22,243
Quote Quote by alexandra
Hello all

Well, for the past few weeks I have been getting well and truly sloshed. Red wine. I just can't stand it any more - and was just interested in finding out if anyone else feels like there seems to be very little hope left. The 'right' seems to have won, hands-down. Fukuyama ('The End of History') seems to be correct. Humanity has lost. Oh, well. Drink wine while the nukes haven't fallen yet:-) No, seriously - I give up. Let Bush and company do their thing. There are enough uncritical followers in the world for them to destroy it without qualms now. Good luck, world:-) I no longer care...
Its good that you realized some of your errors before realizing the ideology had "lost", because I'm sure that helped soften the blow, but you haven't finished the line of reasoning yet (things like making the logical leap from the fact that Marx's predictions on capitalism and poverty were wrong to the more generalized conclusion that Marx's ideology itself was wrong). But I really do think you'll get it.

I honestly wish you luck in coming to terms with this ideological upheaval.
russ_watters
Aug29-05, 09:23 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by loseyourname
You may want to involve yourself in a few life pursuits that don't require the agreement of majority sectors of the world population in order that you may succeed. Plant a garden, have a family, write a book. Do the things that have been making humans happy for thousands of years. If you want to believe the world will end, so be it, but just remember that people have believed that since the species came into existence, and we're still here.
Also good advice. Putting the weight of the world on your shoulders is simply a burden that no one can handle.

And it may be depressing in and of itself, but at some point you're going to have to come to the realization that you, alone, can't change the world. IIRC, you're in college, which is about the time most people get smacked by this very realization. After that, you'll learn to be happy just by having a positive impact on your little kingdom.
alexandra
Aug29-05, 09:29 AM
P: 603
Quote Quote by russ_watters
Its good that you realized some of your errors before realizing the ideology had "lost", because I'm sure that helped soften the blow, but you haven't finished the line of reasoning yet (things like making the logical leap from the fact that Marx's predictions on capitalism and poverty were wrong to the more generalized conclusion that Marx's ideology itself was wrong). But I really do think you'll get it.

I honestly wish you luck in coming to terms with this ideological upheaval.
Awww, come on Russ! Nah, I don't think Marx's analysis of the way capitalism *is* has in any way been disproven. And he always said clearly that things would only change if the working class could somehow organise themselves politically as a class. Well, they haven't managed to do this. Capitalism's apparent 'win' (if indeed it is a win, though - I am nobody living in a remote corner of the world and don't know anything about what's really happening in major cities etc) is exactly humanity's loss. That is what depresses me. If profit wins over people's wellbeing, over the environment, over life itself (and yes - I concede that it has done so far) then this is not a reason for feeling triumphant (not IMHO, in any case). But you know, Russ, it is sooo good to be talking to you lot again. I'm even enjoying this argument with you
alexandra
Aug29-05, 09:35 AM
P: 603
Quote Quote by russ_watters
Also good advice. Putting the weight of the world on your shoulders is simply a burden that no one can handle.

And it may be depressing in and of itself, but at some point you're going to have to come to the realization that you, alone, can't change the world. IIRC, you're in college, which is about the time most people get smacked by this very realization. After that, you'll learn to be happy just by having a positive impact on your little kingdom.
True - I need to set more realistic goals. I didn't ever feel like I could change the world though; just that I could analyse and discuss the need for change. Unfortunately, Russ, I'm not in college - I'm one of those people who never outgrew their 'early idealism': I am still quite taken with the ideas of justice, human/social progress, etc. and want us (as a species) to work towards achieving these things. Crazy, huh? I just *can't* seem to 'grow up'!
russ_watters
Aug29-05, 10:50 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by alexandra
I didn't ever feel like I could change the world though...
Well, whether its thinking you can change the world or hoping the world can change for you, the impact on your emotional health is the same. Either way, you're coming to realize that the world is not what you want it to be and probably never will be. That's tough to accept. All you can really do is be what you want to be and let that be enough.
SpaceTiger
Aug29-05, 11:02 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,977
Quote Quote by alexandra
Well, for the past few weeks I have been getting well and truly sloshed. Red wine. I just can't stand it any more - and was just interested in finding out if anyone else feels like there seems to be very little hope left. The 'right' seems to have won, hands-down. Fukuyama ('The End of History') seems to be correct. Humanity has lost. Oh, well. Drink wine while the nukes haven't fallen yet:-) No, seriously - I give up. Let Bush and company do their thing. There are enough uncritical followers in the world for them to destroy it without qualms now. Good luck, world:-) I no longer care...
I was pretty pissed off the day after both of the last two elections, but really, life will go on. The world is not going to end (in your lifetime) and times will change. Besides, look on the bright side -- both of our options for the next election will probably be better than what we have now.

Register to reply