Register to reply

Fluid Pressure and Fluid Force in Calculus II

by Shay10825
Tags: calculus, fluid, force, pressure
Share this thread:
Shay10825
Aug31-05, 04:14 PM
P: 340
Hi. I need help on how to set up the integral for these problems.

1. A cylindrical gasoline tank is placed so that the axis of the cylinder is horizontal. Find the fluid force on a circular end of the tank if the tank is half full, assuming that the diameter is 3 feet and the gasoline weighs 42 pounds per cubic foot.
Answer: 94.5 lbs

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
Fermat
Aug31-05, 05:16 PM
HW Helper
P: 876
1. You have to find the force on the bottom half of a circular area. In effect, you will be finding the force (local pressure at the depth * element area) on an elemental strip (horizontal) and summing them (i.e. calculus integration). Have you done any of this yet ? i.e making up horizontal strips.
Shay10825
Aug31-05, 05:25 PM
Quote Quote by Fermat
Have you done any of this yet ? i.e making up horizontal strips.
No i have not. Why do you make horizontal strips? How would you set up the integral?

Fermat
Aug31-05, 05:26 PM
HW Helper
Fluid Pressure and Fluid Force in Calculus II

2. It just looks like you should take the average/effective pressure acting on the porthole as the pressure of seawater at a depth of 15 ft.
And multiply that be the area of the porthole.
Shay10825
Aug31-05, 05:29 PM
yeah I got number 2 a couple of seconds ago
Shay10825
Aug31-05, 05:30 PM
How do I set up number 1?
Fermat
Aug31-05, 05:31 PM
HW Helper
Quote Quote by Shay10825

No i have not. Why do you make horizontal strips? ...
That's what you do when doing integral calculus from basics.

Have you not done any of that stuff before? You should have, if you've been given that question.
Shay10825
Aug31-05, 05:32 PM
Quote Quote by Fermat
That's what you do when doing integral calculus from basics.

Have you not done any of that stuff before? You should have, if you've been given that question.
THe last thing we did was Centroids and for all of the problems I just use the formula in the book. But for this problem i keep using the book's formula but I can't get the correct answer. I don't make strips.
Fermat
Aug31-05, 05:43 PM
HW Helper
You're not getting the right answer because the pressure varies over the depth of the fluid, and you can't use an average pressure because the area varies non-uniformly over the depth. That's why you have to use integral calculus and strips of area to work it out.

Have you never worked out the area under a curve using cakculus , where you use strips of small areas?
Shay10825
Aug31-05, 05:47 PM
I used the formula:

F= w integral[ h(y)*L(y) dy
Fermat
Aug31-05, 05:51 PM
HW Helper
Could you tell me what h(y) and L(y) are?

That integral looks like it will solve some problems - but what area is involved? square, circular?
Shay10825
Aug31-05, 05:53 PM
h(y) = the depth of the fluid

L(y) = the horizontal length of the region y
Fermat
Aug31-05, 06:01 PM
HW Helper
Ok.

What YOU have to do now is work out the correct expressions for h(y) and L(y).

I'll start you off. h(y) is h = y, where y is the depth of fluid below the half-way line.

L(y) is the length of the horizontal line at the depth y. i.e L is a chord of the circle, the mid-point of which is at a distance y from its centre.

The w in your integral expression should be the pressure at the depth y - is that correct ?

Edit: no - now I think w is the density of the fluid.

Register to reply