Charge on the ball

by U154756
Tags: ball, charge
Share this thread:
U154756
Sep10-05, 12:57 AM
P: 9
Here is the problem word for word:

A charged cork ball of mass 1.53g is suspended on a light string in the presense of a uniform electric field. When the electric field has an x-component of 346000 N/C and a y-component of 383000 N/C, the ball is in equilibrium at 37.6151 degrees. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2 and the Coulomb constant is 8.99X10^9 Nm^2/C^2. Find the charge on the ball.

I know that E=F/q; therefore, after rearranging the formula you get q=F/E, which will give me the charge of the ball. When solving for the magnitude of the force on the ball, I get stuck. The picture of the problem shows E to be at an angle as suggested by x-component of 346000 N/C and a y-component of 383000 N/C, which suggests the field to be at 47.91 degrees. Should I even worry about the angle of the electrical field?

I guess the fact that the problems states that the electric field has an x and y component is throwing me off. Anyone have any hints on how to get started in the right direction on this problem?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
whozum
Sep10-05, 02:47 AM
P: 2,218
Find the E field vector by doing the vector sum, then from there, you can just say that an E field of magnitude xxx N/C deflects a ball of mass 1.53g by 37.6151 degrees in the direction (or in the opposite direction if its negatively charged) of the field.
U154756
Sep10-05, 04:56 AM
P: 9
That is exactly the help I was needing. I believe I can work the problem now. Thanks for the clarification.

Register to reply