Find Charge on Ball in Electric Field: Solve Problem

In summary, a charged cork ball with a mass of 1.53g is suspended in a uniform electric field with x-component of 346000 N/C and y-component of 383000 N/C, causing the ball to be in equilibrium at 37.6151 degrees. Using the formula E=F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the charge, the charge on the ball can be found. However, finding the magnitude of the force on the ball can be tricky, as the field is at an angle of 47.91 degrees. The E field vector must be found by doing a vector sum, and then the magnitude of the force can be determined. The direction of the force
U154756
Here is the problem word for word:

A charged cork ball of mass 1.53g is suspended on a light string in the presense of a uniform electric field. When the electric field has an x-component of 346000 N/C and a y-component of 383000 N/C, the ball is in equilibrium at 37.6151 degrees. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2 and the Coulomb constant is 8.99X10^9 Nm^2/C^2. Find the charge on the ball.

I know that E=F/q; therefore, after rearranging the formula you get q=F/E, which will give me the charge of the ball. When solving for the magnitude of the force on the ball, I get stuck. The picture of the problem shows E to be at an angle as suggested by x-component of 346000 N/C and a y-component of 383000 N/C, which suggests the field to be at 47.91 degrees. Should I even worry about the angle of the electrical field?

I guess the fact that the problems states that the electric field has an x and y component is throwing me off. Anyone have any hints on how to get started in the right direction on this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the E field vector by doing the vector sum, then from there, you can just say that an E field of magnitude xxx N/C deflects a ball of mass 1.53g by 37.6151 degrees in the direction (or in the opposite direction if its negatively charged) of the field.

That is exactly the help I was needing. I believe I can work the problem now. Thanks for the clarification.

1. How do I find the charge on a ball in an electric field?

To find the charge on a ball in an electric field, you can use the equation Q = mE, where Q is the charge, m is the mass of the ball, and E is the strength of the electric field.

2. What is the unit of charge in this problem?

The unit of charge in this problem is typically measured in Coulombs (C). This is the standard unit for electric charge.

3. Can I use this equation for any type of electric field?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of electric field, as long as the strength of the electric field is known.

4. What if I don't know the mass of the ball?

If you don't know the mass of the ball, you can rearrange the equation to solve for mass instead. So the equation would become m = Q/E.

5. Is there a limit to the strength of the electric field in this equation?

There is no limit to the strength of the electric field in this equation. As long as the strength is known, the equation can be used to find the charge on the ball. It is important to note, however, that extremely high electric field strengths can have unexpected and potentially dangerous effects.