Register to reply

Jobs for 16 year olds

by moose
Tags: jobs, olds
Share this thread:
ek
Sep13-05, 07:58 PM
P: 186
I'm 19 and have never had a job. I just don't understand people who are all "I can't wait to get a job!". I am not looking forward to my first job, as it will probably involve something menial like being a bus boy or washing dishes. What a waste of my time.
Pengwuino
Sep13-05, 08:33 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
Quote Quote by ek
I'm 19 and have never had a job. I just don't understand people who are all "I can't wait to get a job!". I am not looking forward to my first job, as it will probably involve something menial like being a bus boy or washing dishes. What a waste of my time.
Yah wait till your first bill and come back and tell us how good life is without a job
rocketboy
Sep13-05, 08:41 PM
P: 251
Quote Quote by ek
I washed dishes the summer before my website job with the tories. It was a ton of fun, kitchen staff are so laid back and fun to work with, you wear whatever you want, you get dirty, you eat free food, drink free drinks, flirt with the hot waitresses, make fun of the chefs....and since I was in the kitchen of a golf course restaraunt I also played free golf!

Waste of time?
a)Free food and drink
b)Free golf
c)Money
d)Work experience
e)Something to do
moose
Sep13-05, 08:44 PM
P: 555
Quote Quote by ek
Well see, there is this thing called money, which seems to be a pretty popular item among folks. It would probably be beneficial to obtain some of this "money" and use it for whatever it is used for.

Seriously though, I want to have the experience of working somewhere. I would hate working at a grocery store, although it is where I will most likely end up working.

Another question, are there any "better" jobs which I could work for free for? I wouldn't mind working for free really, as long as it was a good job...(with the possibility of a bonus being a plus of course ).
Pengwuino
Sep13-05, 08:44 PM
PF Gold
From what I hear, working in kitchen is hell!

I think that was just because you were on a golf course... nothing like the traffic you'd get at a dedicated restaurant.
Pengwuino
Sep13-05, 08:45 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by moose
Another question, are there any "better" jobs which I could work for free for? I wouldn't mind working for free really, as long as it was a good job...(with the possibility of a bonus being a plus of course ).
Do some volunteer work. Here you can friggen build houses with habitat for humanity! I got to use a jackhammer when I helped! Man that was sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
Moonbear
Sep13-05, 08:48 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Quote Quote by Pengwuino
From what I hear, working in kitchen is hell!

I think that was just because you were on a golf course... nothing like the traffic you'd get at a dedicated restaurant.
Yeah, on a golf course, you pretty much are preparing leisurely lunches and some catered meals. In a regular restaurant, you're starting at around 11 AM and working until well past midnight (there's always that one table that gets seated just as the kitchen is supposed to close and forces the chef to keep things open another hour or two). The heat is insane. Plus, chefs are unbearable to work around (my brother-in-law is a chef...well, was a chef, now he has decided he doesn't know what he wants to be when he grows up ...I'm not saying he's a good chef, just a chef).
Moonbear
Sep13-05, 08:52 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Quote Quote by Pengwuino
Do some volunteer work. Here you can friggen build houses with habitat for humanity! I got to use a jackhammer when I helped! Man that was sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
Of all the volunteer opportunities around, I always thought that was the coolest! I haven't ever done it, but I know the wife of one of the other faculty members here is interested in doing it too, so maybe I'll get her to sign up with me. You do something really great for someone, get to work with other fun people, and get to learn something about building a house, which is a great thing to learn for when you're a homeowner someday!
moose
Sep13-05, 08:59 PM
I'm thinking of volunteering at the challenger space center which is about 100 yards from my highschool. Underlined in this picture.

Bassically, I would be a tour guide or something like that. I want something else to try first though. To volunteer at some real company or something :/
Mk
Sep13-05, 11:38 PM
P: 2,056
I see several of people saying they're volunteering, that's not a job is it? A job is when you get paid!

Movie theater (IMAX!) jobs are good and fun for sixteen year-olds.
moose
Sep13-05, 11:45 PM
Quote Quote by Mk
I see several of people saying they're volunteering, that's not a job is it? A job is when you get paid!

Movie theater (IMAX!) jobs are good and fun for sixteen year-olds.
The main point of this thread was to find out if there were jobs other than those types of jobs
JamesU
Sep13-05, 11:48 PM
PF Gold
P: 745
Quote Quote by moose
I'm thinking of volunteering at the challenger space center which is about 100 yards from my highschool. Underlined in this picture.

Bassically, I would be a tour guide or something like that. I want something else to try first though. To volunteer at some real company or something :/
Which high school is that?
moose
Sep13-05, 11:52 PM
Quote Quote by yomamma
Which high school is that?
Sunrise Mountain Highschool....What school are you going to and what is your general area of residence
JamesU
Sep14-05, 12:41 AM
PF Gold
P: 745
I live by hayden and indian bend, but I go to school in arcadia. (ingleside Middle School)
Pengwuino
Sep14-05, 01:14 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by moose
Uhhhhhh I really don't think they'll let you be a tour guide at 16. And companies don't allow people to volunteer really. You have internships however...
ek
Sep14-05, 03:15 AM
P: 186
Quote Quote by moose
Well see, there is this thing called money, which seems to be a pretty popular item among folks. It would probably be beneficial to obtain some of this "money" and use it for whatever it is used for.
I have plenty of money. All of it through online poker. Made $2500 alone in the past two weeks. Puts me well over 10k for the year, averaging about 6 or 7 hours a week of playing time. So money is not the issue. I'll just eventually have to get a job to get something on my resume. "Poker Player" does not look good on a resume I imagine.

My hope is that next summer I can get a job at the DAO (Dominion Astrophysical Observatory) here in Victoria. Now that is a job that would be worth my time. Even if it was just giving tours or something that would be great.
Artman
Sep14-05, 09:10 AM
P: 1,591
A friend of mine started his own business in HS. He hired other teenagers to paint houses. He supervised, estimated the jobs, ordered paint, made the contacts, bought the ladders and brushes. Last I heard he owned several funeral homes and ran a business selling modular homes. His first car was a used Mercedes.
Gokul43201
Sep14-05, 09:19 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Quote Quote by Artman
A friend of mine ............
(blah blah blah)
....................... His first car was a used Mercedes.
Hah, loser !

Register to reply