Register to reply

I cant figur this out

by LuvIz4ever
Tags: figur
Share this thread:
LuvIz4ever
Sep12-05, 06:42 PM
P: 6
Now i got the answer to this problem but i am so confused at this one thing... how is it that the answer is 200 N of East and 600 N of west

the question is

A force vector F1 points due east with a magnitude of 200 newtons and a second force F2 is added to F1. The resultant of the two vectors has a magnitude of 400 newtons and points along the East and west line. Find the magnitude and direction of F2 note that there are 2 answers.

My question is I know the answers 2oo east and 6oo west but why north of east or north of west.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
Doc Al
Sep12-05, 07:14 PM
Mentor
P: 41,303
Quote Quote by LuvIz4ever
how is it that the answer is 200 N of East and 600 N of west
I suspect that the N stands for Newtons, not north.
LuvIz4ever
Sep12-05, 11:21 PM
Actually in the answer book it tells me it is North.... I think it is weird though becuase of the fact that it has nothing about North.. in the question

Diane_
Sep13-05, 01:54 AM
HW Helper
P: 401
I cant figur this out

The answer in your book must be wrong. You have an initial vector pointing along the east-west line. If you add to it a vector with any component at all in the north-south direction, the resultant cannot possibly be entirely along the east-west line. I suspect the Doc is absolutely right.
LuvIz4ever
Sep13-05, 05:47 PM
..... I figured that... thanks!!!!! sooooo!! Much!!!!!
timeformation
Sep13-05, 10:25 PM
P: 13
simply put, there is 200 going "right" and 600 going "left" add 200 + (-600) leads to a net of 400, and this 400 is along EW or as most would say x-axis..

yw

Register to reply