I cant figur this out!!!

by LuvIz4ever
Tags: figur
LuvIz4ever
Sep12-05, 06:42 PM
P: 6
Now i got the answer to this problem but i am so confused at this one thing... how is it that the answer is 200 N of East and 600 N of west

the question is

A force vector F1 points due east with a magnitude of 200 newtons and a second force F2 is added to F1. The resultant of the two vectors has a magnitude of 400 newtons and points along the East and west line. Find the magnitude and direction of F2 note that there are 2 answers.

My question is I know the answers 2oo east and 6oo west but why north of east or north of west.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
Doc Al
Sep12-05, 07:14 PM
Mentor
P: 40,877
Quote Quote by LuvIz4ever
how is it that the answer is 200 N of East and 600 N of west
I suspect that the N stands for Newtons, not north.
LuvIz4ever
Sep12-05, 11:21 PM
Actually in the answer book it tells me it is North.... I think it is weird though becuase of the fact that it has nothing about North.. in the question

Diane_
Sep13-05, 01:54 AM
HW Helper
P: 402

I cant figur this out!!!

The answer in your book must be wrong. You have an initial vector pointing along the east-west line. If you add to it a vector with any component at all in the north-south direction, the resultant cannot possibly be entirely along the east-west line. I suspect the Doc is absolutely right.
LuvIz4ever
Sep13-05, 05:47 PM
..... I figured that... thanks!!!!! sooooo!! Much!!!!!
timeformation
Sep13-05, 10:25 PM
P: 13
simply put, there is 200 going "right" and 600 going "left" add 200 + (-600) leads to a net of 400, and this 400 is along EW or as most would say x-axis..

yw

Register to reply