Register to reply

Will the wavelength decrease when the wave moves from a light string to a heavy...

by insertnamehere
Tags: decrease, heavy, light, moves, string, wave, wavelength
Share this thread:
insertnamehere
Sep15-05, 06:13 PM
P: 50
hi, i was just wondering if a wave's wavelength will change when it goes from a light string to a heavier one. I think it wouldn't affect it, however I know that velocity will be affected as the linear density will be changed. But am I right, will the wavelength remain unaffected?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Tom Mattson
Sep15-05, 08:10 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,532
You're right that the speed changes. It seems that the essential piece of information that you are missing is this: the frequency does not change.

So since you know that [itex]v_1=\lambda_1f_1[/itex] and [itex]v_2=\lambda_2f_2[/itex], so what can you say about the wavelengths?
insertnamehere
Sep15-05, 08:56 PM
ok, so that means that although the mass of the string increases, this will have no affect whatsoever on the frequency because since
v= sqrt(T/linear density) and also (wavelength/tension)
and increasing the mass of the string will have no affect on the tension, v increases as the tension remains constant, therefore will the wavelength have to INCREASE in order to compensate the equation? Am i on the right track?

Tom Mattson
Sep15-05, 09:45 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,532
Will the wavelength decrease when the wave moves from a light string to a heavy...

Quote Quote by insertnamehere
v= sqrt(T/linear density) and also (wavelength/tension)
The first part is right, but the second part is not. v does not equal (wavelength/tension). That expression doesn't even have the right units to be a speed.

and increasing the mass of the string will have no affect on the tension, v increases as the tension remains constant, therefore will the wavelength have to INCREASE in order to compensate the equation? Am i on the right track?
The wave speed decreases as you move to the string of higher mass density.
insertnamehere
Sep16-05, 03:08 PM
oh no, i meant v= (wavelength/PERIOD)

Register to reply