How do matrices work?

by eNathan
Tags: matrices, work
eNathan
Sep20-05, 09:44 AM
P: 352
I am currently working on Matrices in my Algebra. I have not seen much talk about it on these forums. Can somebody please explain it? They look like

|5 6 2 0|
|5 0 4 8|
|5 5 7 6|
|8 4 6 1|
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
Pseudo-mathematics and financial charlatanism
TD
Sep20-05, 09:48 AM
HW Helper
P: 1,024
Simply put, a matrix is a table of m columns and n rows in which you place numbers.
The applications are very different, solving lineair systems is a very common one.
eNathan
Sep20-05, 09:52 AM
P: 352
What good do matrices do in the real world? I.E. what are they used for?

How do you compute matrix set? I have a question here that asks "the cofactor of a_22 = 5 is?" it all seems confusing. I learned about 3*3 matrices a few months ago, but I heard that they get alot harder when n > 3 and m > 3.

TD
Sep20-05, 09:55 AM
HW Helper

How do matrices work?

As I said, one of the most common (and important) uses is that you can use matrixes to solve systems of lineair equations (by, for example, using gaussian elimination or Cramer's rule for square matrices).

To fully understand minors/cofactors, you'll need to know what determinants are, do you?
HallsofIvy
Sep20-05, 10:14 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,886
Quote Quote by TD
Simply put, a matrix is a table of m columns and n rows in which you place numbers.
The applications are very different, solving lineair systems is a very common one.
That's an "array" or a "tableau". Any definition of matrices has to include the ability to add and multiply them.
TD
Sep20-05, 10:39 AM
HW Helper
Which is why I said "simply put"
radou
Sep22-05, 04:25 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,225
You can also think of a matrix as an ordered data structure. A matrix often describes a physical state or property of matter.
An Anomaly
Sep24-05, 10:57 AM
P: 3
[QUOTE=eNathan]What good do matrices do in the real world? I.E. what are they used for?
[QUOTE]

Too many things to list. From using them with kirchoff's laws, to the cross product rule, to determining the amount of solutions within the system of equations.
AKG
Sep24-05, 10:59 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,589
Quote Quote by eNathan
I have not seen much talk about it on these forums.
Have you looked?!
Hurkyl
Sep24-05, 11:21 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,101
Matrices are important because a great many things can be represented as matrices.

The first example people learn is that of a linear transformation, when dealing with vector spaces. A linear transformation T is a function satisfying:

T(αx + βy) = αT(x) + βT(y)

where α and β are scalars. (If the scalars are, for example, real numbers, we say that this is an R-linear transformation)

Linear transformations are important because they respect the indicated algebraic operations.
HallsofIvy
Sep24-05, 04:53 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,886
Quote Quote by eNathan
I have not seen much talk about it on these forums.
Check the "Linear and Abstract Algebra" forum!

Register to reply