Exploring the Potential of Atomically Fine Metal Dust in Hydraulic Pressing

In summary, the process of atomically fine metal dust production is possible, but it would likely require a high powered laser, a vacuum, and a noble gas to help cool the metal particles. The trade group that does powder metallurgy is a possibility for further research.
Intuitive
I wanted to do some research on Atomic dust.

The process would take a metal and vaporize it by a high powered LASER in a vacuum and then allow the metal vapor to cool in the vacuum an then fall to the bottem of the chamber as Atomically fine dust particles of the metal.

Is there any research out there that is attemting the study of this?

The only thing I have researched so far that's even close to this is the making of nanotubes with Carbon from vaporization techniques.

I wanted to see if Atomically fine metal dust could be Hydrolically pressed with materials that have lower melting points on an Atomically even mixture ratio and it's properties, Possibly making some odd dielectrics.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Intuitive said:
I wanted to do some research on Atomic dust.

The process would take a metal and vaporize it by a high powered LASER in a vacuum and then allow the metal vapor to cool in the vacuum an then fall to the bottem of the chamber as Atomically fine dust particles of the metal.

Is there any research out there that is attemting the study of this?

Intuitive,

Sounds an awful lot like vacuum vapor deposition to me.

For example, when the mirror of a big telescope needs to be replaced - they put it in
a vacuum chamber and vaporize aluminum in the chamber. As the chamber is cooled,
the aluminum vapor "plates out" on all the interior surfaces including the mirror.

Dr. Gregory Greenman
Physicist

You will have trouble with this. The atoms move way to fast to fall and they
will end up hitting the walls like little bullets.

I do see a problem trying to vaporize in a vacuum. As Morbius points out, the vapor simply plates out on the nearest cold surface.

On the other hand, possibly doing this in a partial vacuum with a noble gas like Xe or Kr might help cool the metal particles, and it will probably be particles rather than atoms.

There are various folks doing metal vaporization and nanoparticle manufacturing. Penn State has some folks doing physical vapor deposition using electron beam heating, and I am quite sure there are many more folks doing this too. NASA Glenn is a possibility, and so are the DOE Labs like Argonne, Oak Ridge, and perhaps Los Alamos and Livermore - but I am just speculating.

There is a trade group that does powder metallurgy, and I would expect they use PVD techniques. Most applications involve pressing metal and mechanically-blended alloy mixtures in power form to near net shape and then sintering. This approach is particularly useful for refractory metals and alloys which are extremely difficult to machine.

Last edited:

1. What is atomically fine metal dust?

Atomically fine metal dust is a powder made up of very small particles of a metal, typically less than 100 nanometers in size. These particles are so small that they behave more like individual atoms rather than bulk materials.

2. How is hydraulic pressing used in conjunction with atomically fine metal dust?

Hydraulic pressing is a process in which a material, in this case atomically fine metal dust, is compressed between two plates using a hydraulic press. This creates high pressure and temperature conditions that can alter the properties and behavior of the metal dust.

3. What potential applications does exploring atomically fine metal dust in hydraulic pressing have?

There are numerous potential applications for this research, including developing new materials with unique properties, improving the strength and durability of existing materials, and creating more efficient manufacturing processes.

4. What are the challenges of working with atomically fine metal dust?

Working with atomically fine metal dust can be challenging due to its small size and tendency to agglomerate. It also requires specialized equipment and techniques to handle and analyze the particles.

5. What are the potential risks associated with using atomically fine metal dust in hydraulic pressing?

Like any nanomaterial, there are potential health and safety risks associated with working with atomically fine metal dust. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and handle the material with caution to minimize any potential risks.