Register to reply

Help with a Work Problem

by wr1015
Tags: work
Share this thread:
wr1015
Sep29-05, 09:20 PM
P: 55
After hitting a long fly ball that goes over the right fielder's head and lands in the outfield, the batter decides to keep going past second base and try for third base. The 62.0 kg player begins sliding 2.40 m from the base with a speed of 4.07 m/s. If the player comes to rest at third base, how much work was done on the player by friction?

Any tips on how to set this up??
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
Norman
Sep29-05, 09:43 PM
P: 922
How do you calculate work from a force? Can you find the frictional force from the given information? You are given a mass, try and find an acceleration. You will assume the frictional force is constant in this problem.
Please show us what you have done so far.
wr1015
Sep29-05, 09:46 PM
Quote Quote by Norman
How do you calculate work from a force? Can you find the frictional force from the given information? You are given a mass, try and find an acceleration. You will assume the frictional force is constant in this problem.
Please show us what you have done so far.
sorry bout that, ok i calculated the coefficient of kinetic friction in part a of the problem and it was .352. The acceleration is 3.45 m/s^2.

Norman
Sep29-05, 10:10 PM
Help with a Work Problem

Now that you have the acceleration (or the coefficient of friction) you can figure out the frictional force correct? Now can you get the work done by a constant force from knowing this force and the distance slid?
wr1015
Sep29-05, 10:33 PM
Quote Quote by Norman
Now that you have the acceleration (or the coefficient of friction) you can figure out the frictional force correct? Now can you get the work done by a constant force from knowing this force and the distance slid?
ok i got the answer and i was doing it right except i wasn't using a negative value for acceleration, but i still don't know how negative work is possible. thanks for the help anyway.
HallsofIvy
Sep30-05, 06:42 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,502
You know the runners mass and velocity just before he slides- and you know that his velocity is 0 when he stops sliding. How much kinetic energy has he lost?
Norman
Sep30-05, 07:24 AM
HallsofIvy has the easiest way to do this problem, but I that assumes you have done the work-energy theorem.

As for the negative work, it is simply a decision about whether or not the work was done by the object or work was done on the object.

In addition, it is very important that you understand why the minus sign for the acceleration is important. Think about the definition of acceleration and its vector nature.

Cheers,
Ryan

Register to reply