What is the importance of scaling in the N-S equations?

• Thread starter hanson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scaling
In summary, the textbook says that we can understand the importance of terms in an equation by looking at the coefficients. Dimensionless variables make the analysis of a problem simpler. However, scaling often helps us experimentally model a problem more cheaply.
hanson
Hi all!
I am having problems with understanding the scaling process of the N-S equations in fluid dynamics.
From textbooks, I see that each quantity say velocity, time, length...etc are all divided some some reference values in order to obtain some dimensionaless quantity V*, t*, p*, g* etc..
And the N-S equations are then rewrite into a dimensionless form, the coefficients beceome the Reynolds number, Froude number etc...
And the writer says after having this dimensionless equation, we can know the importance of the terms by just looking at the coefficients.

That's what the textbook said, and I don't really understand. I can't catch the reason for making it in a dimensionless form. Can't I still judge the importance of the terms by looking at the coefficients of the terms when the equation have dimensions? Why must we transform it to be dimensionless?

Can anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
could anyone please help?

Certainly, you don't have to use dimensionless variables.

However, using dimensionless variables can simplify the analysis of a problem.
First, it cuts down the number of symbols in the equation. (Less writing!) This often highlights the "[standard] form" of an equation. It may be easier to recognize the mathematics, and possibly draw analogies between different physical systems. (For example, it may help you recognize that the mass-spring system is analogous to an inductor-capacitor system.)

Additionally, one can't compare A with B (i.e. one can't say A>B) if they carry different dimensions. However, if [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] are dimensionless, then one can compare them. In particular, it may useful to know that [tex]\alpha\gg\beta[/tex] so that the [tex]\beta[/tex]-term in an expression like [tex]\alpha \blacksquare + \beta \blacksquare +\ldots [/tex] may be neglected.

Implicit in the above is the idea of "scaling". For example, if you know how a problem scales, you can experimentally model it less expensively. (For example, wind tunnel tests for airplanes. Another example: special effects using miniatures and slow-motion.)

What is the N-S equations?

The N-S equations, also known as the Navier-Stokes equations, are a set of partial differential equations that describe the behavior of fluid flow. They take into account factors such as velocity, pressure, and density to determine the movement of a fluid.

Why is it important to study the scaling of the N-S equations?

Studying the scaling of the N-S equations allows us to understand how changing the size or dimension of a fluid system affects its behavior. This is crucial for applications such as weather prediction, aerodynamics, and fluid dynamics in engineering.

How do we scale the N-S equations?

To scale the N-S equations, we typically use non-dimensional parameters such as the Reynolds number, which represents the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces in a fluid system. By varying these parameters, we can see how the behavior of the fluid changes.

What are some challenges in scaling the N-S equations?

One challenge in scaling the N-S equations is accurately capturing all the relevant physical processes and interactions in a fluid system. This requires careful selection and manipulation of the non-dimensional parameters. Additionally, different scaling approaches may lead to different results, making it important to carefully choose the most appropriate method for a specific application.

What are the practical applications of scaling the N-S equations?

The scaling of N-S equations has numerous practical applications in various fields, including aerodynamics, weather forecasting, and designing efficient fluid systems for industries such as aviation and automotive. It also allows for the simulation and optimization of fluid flows in various engineering and scientific processes.