Register to reply

Blackbody problem

by Sneil
Tags: blackbody
Share this thread:
Sneil
Oct4-05, 10:18 PM
P: 18
Hi, im having trouble with the last question in my assignment. It's on blackbody radiation and total power per area and whatnot. those questions i was able to do fine, however when i came to this problem i was a little lost..

here it goes, i'll type the whole thing out..

"The most important energy source in so called main sequence stars is fusion of four protons into He nuclei.
A star has a radius r
How many he nuclei does the star produce per second if He production is the dominant energy source?
Use the Q value for the conversion 4H ->He to estimate the amount of raditation energy generated by hydrogen burning, and assume that the radiation energy output per second corresponds to the energy generated by hydrogen burning in a second."

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

-Neil
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
Andrew Mason
Oct5-05, 02:17 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 6,654
Quote Quote by Sneil
"The most important energy source in so called main sequence stars is fusion of four protons into He nuclei.
A star has a radius r
How many he nuclei does the star produce per second if He production is the dominant energy source?
Use the Q value for the conversion 4H ->He to estimate the amount of raditation energy generated by hydrogen burning, and assume that the radiation energy output per second corresponds to the energy generated by hydrogen burning in a second."
Where did you get this problem? First of all, how do 4 protons fuse to become one He nucleus? Shouldn't it be 2 deuterons fuse to become a He nucleus?

You appear to be missing an essential piece of information: the surface temperature of the star. Without that, it is not possible to answer the question.

AM
san_1420
Oct5-05, 03:51 AM
P: 10
Quote Quote by Andrew Mason
Where did you get this problem? First of all, how do 4 protons fuse to become one He nucleus? Shouldn't it be 2 deuterons fuse to become a He nucleus?

You appear to be missing an essential piece of information: the surface temperature of the star. Without that, it is not possible to answer the question.

AM
Sure that's possible 4 H fuse to form 4He2 .
through Carbon Nitrigen Oxygen cycle
Well I can't remeber whole thing but you can find it in any text book.
Also a minimum temperature is required at core for this process ro take place
But surface temperature would be much lesser

Sneil
Oct5-05, 08:11 AM
Blackbody problem

sorry, i calculated surface temp to be 4990k

the question says turns to He (of atomic mass # 4)

i was just hoping for a formula i would be able to work with as i don't kow where to begin, but ill give the radius too if you want all the info. r=7.02*10^8 m

anyone able to help this early in the mourning?
thanks for the help, it is greatly apreciated

-Neil
Astronuc
Oct5-05, 08:54 AM
Admin
P: 21,808
To be in equilibrium, the energy production in the star must equal the energy radiated, so

Egen = Erad.

Egen = Number of reactions * Qreaction.

and one should have a formula for blackbody radiation, the Stefan-Boltzmann law E = ([itex]\sigma T^4[/itex]) *A.

For He can be produced from 4 protons indirectly by the PP or CNO cycles.

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/l...y/ppchain.html

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/energy/cno.html

or more generally

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/index.html
Sneil
Oct5-05, 09:05 AM
thanks man, im a little lost as to how i incorporate the radius, but ill figure it out

thanks
Astronuc
Oct5-05, 11:41 AM
Admin
P: 21,808
Surface area of a sphere, i.e. the star, of radius r is

A = 4[itex]\pi r^2[/itex].

Register to reply