How Much Tension Is Needed to Lift a 1800 kg Car Upward at 0.60 m/s²?

• Thread starter confusedaboutphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rope Tension
In summary, the tension in the rope must be greater than 9.8 Newtons to give an upwards acceleration of 0.6m/s^2.
confusedaboutphysics
How much tension must a rope withstand if it is used to accelerate a 1800 kg car vertically upward at 0.60 m/s2?

could someone tell me how to start this problem? thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a free body diagram around the car. Net force = mass * accelleration. So you have the tension in the rope and gravity acting on the car, and the total of those must give you an upwards accelleration of 0.6m/s^2

i'm still confused with this problem..i thought i could just multiply 1800kg by .60 m/s^2? but i don't get the right answer...

help please!

confusedaboutphysics said:
How much tension must a rope withstand if it is used to accelerate a 1800 kg car vertically upward at 0.60 m/s2?

could someone tell me how to start this problem? thanks so much!

Is this problem neglecting air friction and mass of the rope? Also, what's pulling that rope?

Last edited:
it doesn't say...its a webassign problem

it doesn't say...its a webassign problem

Ok, then what is the answer, if given? Because I got what you got too. I might be missing something

sorry...i don't have the answer either..it's due tomorrow night..hmmm...i wander why it won't work...

i'm still confused with this problem..i thought i could just multiply 1800kg by .60 m/s^2? but i don't get the right answer...

help please!

You don't get the right answer even though you don't have the right answer? lol

webassign is a homework program on the internet...it tells you right away if you're wrong or right...but doesn't give you the right answer until after its due or if you get the answer right.

I think what Kazza is saying is [itex]\vec{F_T} - mg = m\vec{a}[/itex]. If that's correct then you can think of a free body diagram of the rope with the upward force equal to ma, and the downward force equal to mg. But don't take my word on it :biggrin:

Last edited:
thanks cscott! its correct!

Woo! I give 94.8% credit to Kazza :wink:

1. What is the tension of a rope?

The tension of a rope refers to the amount of force the rope is exerting in order to maintain its shape and support any objects or weight that may be attached to it.

2. How is tension calculated in a rope?

Tension can be calculated by using the equation T = F/A, where T represents tension, F represents the applied force, and A represents the cross-sectional area of the rope.

3. What factors affect the tension of a rope?

The tension of a rope can be affected by several factors, including the weight of objects attached to it, the angle at which the rope is pulled, and the material and thickness of the rope itself.

4. How does the tension in a rope change with length?

The tension in a rope is directly proportional to its length. This means that as the length of the rope increases, so does the tension, and vice versa.

5. Can the tension in a rope be greater than the weight of the objects attached to it?

Yes, the tension in a rope can be greater than the weight of the objects attached to it. This is because the tension is also affected by the angle at which the rope is pulled, which can increase the overall force being exerted on the rope.