Register to reply

Trig Identity

by cscott
Tags: identity, trig
Share this thread:
cscott
Oct8-05, 12:05 PM
P: 786
Can someone please help me establish this identity?

[tex]\cos \theta (\tan \theta + \cot \theta) = \csc \theta[/tex]
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
irony of truth
Oct8-05, 12:19 PM
P: 91
So, are you proving this identity?

Express your tangent and cotangent in terms of sine and cosine. Get their LCD... and your numerator becomes a well-known trigonometric identity..

Can you continue from here? :D
cscott
Oct8-05, 12:23 PM
Quote Quote by irony of truth
So, are you proving this identity?

Express your tangent and cotangent in terms of sine and cosine. Get their LCD... and your numerator becomes a well-known trigonometric identity..

Can you continue from here? :D
The easy ones always get me :\

Thanks!

cscott
Oct8-05, 04:54 PM
Trig Identity

I can't get this one either:

[tex]\frac{1 + \tan \theta}{1 - \tan \theta} = \frac{\cot \theta + 1}{\cot \theta - 1}[/tex]

I'm so bad at proofs
mezarashi
Oct8-05, 04:58 PM
HW Helper
P: 660
For this one, you can either choose to replace tan x by 1/cot x or replace cot x by 1/tan x. Choose either and do some algebriac manipulations while leaving the other side alone.
TD
Oct8-05, 04:59 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,021
Or, if that doesn't work for you, substitute tan by sin/cos and cot by cos/sin, then simplify the expressions

Try, if you get stuck, show us!
cscott
Oct8-05, 05:16 PM
I end up with

[tex]\frac{\cos^2 \theta + \sin \theta \cos \theta}{\cos^2 \theta - \sin \theta \cos \theta}[/tex]

or

[tex]\frac{\cot^2 \theta + \cot \theta}{\cot^2 \theta - \cot \theta}[/tex]

How do I continue?
TD
Oct8-05, 05:22 PM
HW Helper
How did you end up with that?

For the LHS:

[tex]\frac{{1 + \tan \theta }}{{1 - \tan \theta }} = \frac{{1 + \frac{{\sin \theta }}{{\cos \theta }}}}{{1 - \frac{{\sin \theta }}{{\cos \theta }}}} = \frac{{\frac{{\cos \theta + \sin \theta }}{{\cos \theta }}}}{{\frac{{\cos \theta - \sin \theta }}{{\cos \theta }}}} = \frac{{\cos \theta + \sin \theta }}{{\cos \theta - \sin \theta }}[/tex]

Now try the RHS
cscott
Oct8-05, 05:30 PM
Quote Quote by TD
How did you end up with that?

For the LHS:

[tex]\frac{{1 + \tan \theta }}{{1 - \tan \theta }} = \frac{{1 + \frac{{\sin \theta }}{{\cos \theta }}}}{{1 - \frac{{\sin \theta }}{{\cos \theta }}}} = \frac{{\frac{{\cos \theta + \sin \theta }}{{\cos \theta }}}}{{\frac{{\cos \theta - \sin \theta }}{{\cos \theta }}}} = \frac{{\cos \theta + \sin \theta }}{{\cos \theta - \sin \theta }}[/tex]

Now try the RHS
Silly me - I just multiplied out the numerator by the reciprocal of the denomenator instead of just canceling out the cosines. If you factor the top and bottom of my expression you end up with what your answer. If I do this using 1/cot = tan I end up with the RHS.

Don't I need to continue with the LHS until I get the right or vice versa?
TD
Oct8-05, 05:31 PM
HW Helper
Well now you have the LHS, the easiest would be trying to get the same starting with the RHS, which will go more or less the same
cscott
Oct8-05, 05:34 PM
Ah, I see. Thank you both of you.
TD
Oct8-05, 05:35 PM
HW Helper
No problem

Register to reply