Register to reply

How does the distance of a planet from the sun affect the temperature?

by ohxhowtragic
Tags: affect, distance, planet, temperature
Share this thread:
ohxhowtragic
Oct10-05, 11:17 AM
P: 1
my evil teacher is making me and my friend to do a 12 page report. and the question is "how does the distance of a planet from the sun affect the temperature?" i would really apperciate it. thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
Atomos
Oct10-05, 11:37 AM
P: 159
As radiation propagates in all directions equally (in a sphere) the intensity of that radiation varies inversely with distance.

If radiation propagates in all directions equally, the intensity is strength of the source divided by the surface area of of the resulting sphere. You will be able to derive an expression fro the intesity per unit area of the sphere if you know the formula for the surface area of a sphere.
Danger
Oct10-05, 12:27 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
If it won't get you in trouble, you might also point out that distance is not by any means the only thing governing the temperature. You also have to factor in albedo and atmospheric composition. In the case of many planets, you also have the core activity generating heat. I suspect, but am not sure, that if it's rapid enough, plate tectonic movement will generate frictional and compression heat.
As Atomos said, your solar radiation (any radiation, and gravity for that matter), decreases as the square of the distance.

Register to reply