Homopolar generator information

In summary: He claims that the generator doesn't use the flux change method, but instead, uses the relative movement respect the magnet. The magnet doesn't impulse or move the electrons of the disc. A motor moves the disc and the magnet, so the electrons of the disc move. The only difference with normal motors is the method to impulse the electrons. The homopolar generator does not use the relative movement respect the magnet, it uses the relative movement respect the motor.In summary, the homopolar generator is a disc magnet glued to a conductor disc. When you make it turn, there is a EMF between the axis and the periphery of the discs.
@all

1. Unipolar or acyclic induction.

Possibly, there has been no simpler, more curious and polemical experiment since the beginnings of electromagnetism than Faraday’s rotating magnet and disc. For their simplicity and beauty they have always attracted the attention of the physicist.
According to Poincaré “The most curious electrodynamics experiments are those where a continuous rotation takes place, called unipolar induction experiments.”1
Einstein, in his first paper “On the electrodynamics of moving bodies,” states that: “It is known that Maxwell’s electrodynamics –as usually understood at the present time– when applied to moving bodies, leads to asymmetries which do not appear to be inherent in the phenomena”. “Furthermore it is clear that the asymmetry mentioned in the introduction as arising when we consider the currents produced by the relative motion of a magnet and a conductor, now disappears. Moreover, questions as to the “seat” of electrodynamic electromotive forces (unipolar machines) now have no point.”2
It would seem the Faraday disc contributed to the development of the Theory of Relativity.
When studying unipolar induction back 1961, and finding the conducting spiral to be a universal unipolar generator I imagined that this must have been known since the beginnings of electromagnetism. In that year I had begun my Ph. D. course in Physics at Grenoble University and found to my surprise that the conducting spiral was unknown to my professors of electromagnetism. They suggested that I choose this for a second subject for my doctoral thesis3. It turned out to be very polemical, for as is well-known, unipolar induction continues to be the object of discussions and publications. On completing my thesis, the Board of Examiners recommended my second subject for publication; something I was only able to do years later, for in the opinion of the journal’s referee the conducting spiral was but a “mind experiment” and couldn’t possibly revolve. Only on checking the experiment (presumably), was the article accepted. This publication4 had involved considerable difficulties and scarce attention. To start with, I - the supposed discoverer - had failed to grasp the significance of the spiral. Curiously, this experiment, as straightforward and beautiful as the Faraday Disc, is just as paradoxical. Twenty-seven years after publishing my article I began my studies of unipolar induction anew with a series of experiments on conducting spirals which led me to a new understanding of electromagnetic induction, the Faraday Disc and the conducting spiral itself, establishing a new analogy between mechanics and electromagnetism. In November 1998, I attempted to publish these findings in the same journal which in 1970 had published my first article, only to have it rejected out of hand by the editor who alleged “articles announcing new theoretical results or experiments are not accepted in this journal”. Maybe he should have added: especially if they come from an unknown third-world Physicist, for this publication continues to carry articles on Faraday’s Induction Law and the Lorentz Force 5, 6, 7, 8, all of which deal with the old question as to how and where emf is generated in the Faraday Disc. Regarding the substance of the matter, some authors are of the opinion that the revolving magnet and the Faraday Disc are exceptions to Faraday’s Induction Law or flux rule9, and assure us that unipolar induction is due to the Lorentz Force, others deny any exceptions10, and still others see exceptions to the Lorentz Force11.
The difficulties in understanding the Faraday Disc derive from Faraday’s Induction Law and the equation F = il x B, which defines B and allows it to be measured. This assumes that magnetic induction B, generated by the circuit to which the segment l belongs, is negligible with regard to B. The emf and torque generated in the Faraday Disc depend on the shape of the circuit that connects the disc, giving rise to an “absolute – relative” duality of emf and Lorentz Force, which in turn, occasions different interpretations. This duality becomes much more evident in the conducting spiral and when the symmetry of the Faraday Disc is enhanced.
Some paradoxical experiments in unipolar induction which make use of the unique geometry of the spiral are described in this article. These experiments show that the paradoxes and discrepancies that arise with unipolar induction are resolved when the following analogies between mechanics and electromagnetism are established:
a) Charges, in the same way as mass, have a dual nature,
inert and gravitational, in each of these pairs neither
element is independent of the other.
b) In electromagnetic interaction among charges, both
mechanical and electromagnetic angular moments are
conserved.
c) Electromagnetic induction is due to the variation and
conservation of the angular moments of mass and
charge.
d) The possible ways of varying the electromagnetic
angular moment of a current in a circuit correspond to
the forms of electromagnetic induction.
e) The deformation of a circuit by electromagnetic forces tends to diminish the rate of change of the electromagnetic angular moment of the current’s charges, i.e. it will tend to conserve the angular moment.
The circulation of the charges of the continuous current in a Faraday Disc, as also in a conducting spiral, generates a continuous rate of change of angular electromagnetic moment and angular moment of matter, this works in the same way as an electrodynamic turbine. Due to the coexistence and conservation of the angular moment of the electromagnetic field and of matter, in all closed circuits there are always two equal and opposite variations of the angular moment generated.
In closed circuits, constant emf is not produced by the variation in magnetic flux, which is constant, but by two variations in the electromagnetic angular moment.
This means the new induction law will be e= -dL/dt de/dt=-df/dt in which L is the electromagnetic angular momentum and f is the magnetic flux density.
According to this new induction law, unipolar induction is a consequence and not an exception.
The generation and variation of the angular moments of the electromagnetic field and of matter, occur through the normal constraint forces acting along the path of the charges in the conductors. These constraint forces are not explicit in Maxwell’s equations. However, without these forces it would not be possible to generate or measure electric or magnetic field.
The conducting spiral allows us to see that unipolar induction is produced by a vortex of charges, confirming the Lorentz Force and invalidating Faraday’s Induction Law, furthermore it allows us to see the true origin of electromagnetic induction and its dual nature. In the conducting spiral, an inversion of cause and effect in the description of electromagnetism also becomes evident.

http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0012/0012009.pdf

Hypercom

Engineering news on Phys.org
i'd like to add some comment in here... trully there are lots of people who are indulge in the search of free energy concepts, i cannot deny that even i myself cannot help but think about it. and surely i have gone through a lot of theories and experiments but one thing i found is that for the mean time or i should say in our present time free energy concepts is still a dream come true... no one and not one can proved that we can get larger output than input in anything we like to happen.

it means to say that those who claims that they have invented a device or machines that generates free energy is absolutely not true, other's are claiming that they won't tell their secretes of how they have made it works! but alas, if they were true then why won't they made such device and use it for themselves?

And one thing they woul claim is that it needs a lot of money to build it... then tries to attract and convince someone to invest money to fund the project. Well I'm sure that no one is fool enough to invest such kind of unsure project.

What i am trying to convey here is that our world is ruled by the laws of nature and no one can break that law. there is no such thing as free energy, the only thing we can do is find a way to minimize the cost and produce the most effecient output which is very close to the amount of input of any projects that we want to happen.

but i did not say that we should stop searching the concepts of free energy because in that way there are many improvements that will come out of the way.

cala said:
Well, I'm sorry, i talked under your point of view, and i had not license to do that.

Ok, so you think the system can't do more output than input COP.

Yesterday I was thinking how to explain the working of the homopolar generator on an easy way. A lot of things came to my mind (i could not sleep yesterday), and one thing that came to my mind was the Maxwell Daemon example.

Here, i put just an ad-hoc explanation of the Maxwell Daemon from a web page:

"Maxwell was a famous scientist who discovered electromagnetic waves. But only theoretically; he could not prove it. It was proven by Heinrich Hertz 20 years later. But Maxwell put forward a theory saying that in the world there must be something called electromagnetic waves. There is a famous second law of thermodynamics which states that in each system, energy must be constant. But Maxwell said, imagine two spaces: between the two spaces you have a door with a little slit. One space filled with gas is very hot, and the other is very cold. According to the law of thermodynamics, when such a door is opened, both spaces will be of equal temperature. But Maxwell could mathematically prove that the hot space would become hotter, and the cold space would become colder. So this was a riddle, a paradox: Maxwell's daemon.(...) But then along came Zurek, a scientist, who wrote an article in 1984, "Maxwell's daemon, Szilard's engine and Quantum measurement." He solved the paradox in such a way that it could even obey the second law of thermodynamics. He said, this daemon is doing work - Somebody is doing work. Even when he just counts molecules, this also uses energy, this also uses information. So when something is becoming hotter, and something is becoming colder, we can exactly measure this difference of energy, and we can say this is an amount of information, that is energy which the daemon uses for himself. So we could explain it even within the second law of thermodics. He calls this daemon 'Quantum daemon.'" Peter Weibel, "Ways of Contextualisation," Place, Position, Presentation, Public,(ed. Ine Gevers), De Balie, Amsterdam, 1991-1992, pp.232-3.

Ok. Russ, now imagine the conducting disc of the homopolar generator as a "charge gas". positive and negative particles are there, but they are mixed and externally, the disc is neutral, but internally, the particles are there for the daemon.

We always see this daemon as something intelligent that not only have to count the particles, in order to get potential, it should recognyze them, and order the particles depending on their charge, changing also their location.

But on the homopolar generator, our "maxwell Daemon" is just an autistic one: We help the daemon, and create a zone on the disc (by the B field and velocity of the disc) were the daemon have not to move any single one of the particles passing under the B field. Our daemon only have to count the positive and negative particles to create the EMF!.

I mean, the "charge gas" is neutrally distributed on the whole disc, but as we make the disc rotate, there is a specific radius on the disc (under the B field) where the existence of this particles is taken into account. Imagine that this special radius is a kind of toll or frontier where we have our Maxwell Daemon. As the disc moves, the neutral "charge gas" of the disc goes passing through the toll. Then you have the daemon saying:

659 positive charges, 678 negative charges - 0.080 V (for example)
698 positive charges, 687 negative charges - 0.081 V
645 positive charges, 643 negative charges - 0.079 V

He must do nothing else to get potential! he have not to move the charges. If we take the Zurek explanation, the work or information than the Daemon must have on these conditions is less than if the Daemon had also to move the charges depending on their charge type.

I have other examples, and you can't imagine how clear now I see some other ideas that use a similar principle on other physics concepts.

For example, i tried to do an homopolar generator rotating water analogy, and then it reminded me the experiments of Viktor Schauberger, a man that is known on the free energy world by claim that vortex of rotating water can also extract more output than input.

the only one thing that a homopolar generator has advantage over the other types of dc generator is that it produces a large current and low voltage output which is very suitable for electrolysis, now talking about electrolysis which should be the concern of everybody is the electrolysis of water to produce hydrogen gas which is believed to be the fuel of the future in terms of advantages over the hydrocarbon fuels, and we all know the many advantages of hydrogen fuel so i won't mention that anymore in here.

now to make things clearly, what we want here is to build a high current and low voltage dc generators suitable for electrolysing water in such a way that the hydrogen produce would be inexpensive than any by-products of hydrocarbon fuels. We all know thatthe greater the amount of electron we can produce in a dc generator the greater the volume of hydrogen we can produce, the problem is that such type of generator has not been built as far as today... and i'd like to mention here that the homopolar generator is the only one that offers a promising outcome but there are too many flaws on this type of generator, one is that the collection of electron in the rotating disc is not that simple it needs a brush as a point of contact inorder for the electron to flow in a circuit, now imagine that in order to produce 58 barrels of hydrogen gas @STP per second we need at least 96 million 500 thousand electron per second to pass through the circuit, so how will this come possible if we only rely on a homopolar generator?

homopolar generator can electrolyse water but it cannot produce large vulume of hydrogen gas that is enough to supply even just one small city.

In conclussion there must be another way... and i won't claim that i have a way to do it until i can demonstrate it in an actual experiments, because theories are nothing it won't work in an actual experiments.

Last edited: