Measuring the height of a building

In summary, if you are not allowed to measure the height of a building, you could use a barometer to measure the pressure in the atmosphere. Alternatively, you could measure the length of the shadow cast by the building and use that information to calculate the height.
quicknote
I'm suppossed to measure the height of a building tomorrow but I'm not exactly sure of how to do it accurately.

Would using 'similar triangles' work?
I would measure the length of the tower's shadow and my shadow. Using my height and shadow length, I could calculate the angle and use that angle for the tower/shadow triangle and then caclulate the height.

I've also thought about droping an object from the top of the building and find the time it takes to reach the ground and using an equation to find the height.

There seems to be a lot of websites on the barometer joke...but nothing that really helps me out.
Is there an easier method...other than actually measuring the building?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's wrong with using a barometer? Are you not allowed? Your second idea sounds pretty good, where you drop an object and listen for it to hit the ground, seems like it would be quicker than trying to measure shadows and figure out angles.

Do the barometer suggestions even work? :confused:
Anyways I don't know where to get a barometer

I would like to do drop an object, but I just realize that I don't think we have access to the rooftop and I dont' think the windows open...so looks like I'll be using triangles :grumpy:

Use similar triangles! You won't even need trigonometry if you situate yourself such that the tip of your shadow coincides with the tip of the building's shadow. You simply need to measure the length of your shadow, that of the building and, of course, your own height.

Regarding the barometer, pressure measurements likely won't be accurate enough but, with a good stopwatch, you can measure how long it takes for the barometer to fall to the ground from the top of the building! :)

P.S. You'll need a Plan B - in case it's overcast!

Use similar triangles! You won't even need trigonometry if you situate yourself such that the tip of your shadow coincides with the tip of the building's shadow. You simply need to measure the length of your shadow, that of the building and, of course, your own height.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tide! That not only makes more sense but so much more easier :)
I think my plan b would be to wait for the sun to come out :biggrin:

1. How do you measure the height of a building?

To measure the height of a building, you will need to use a measuring tool, such as a tape measure or a laser rangefinder. Start by standing at the base of the building and use the tool to measure the vertical distance from the ground to the top of the building. This will give you the height of the building.

2. What is the most accurate way to measure the height of a building?

The most accurate way to measure the height of a building is by using a laser rangefinder. This tool uses a laser beam to measure the distance between two points and can provide precise measurements of the building's height.

3. Can you measure the height of a building using only a measuring tape?

Yes, you can measure the height of a building using a measuring tape. However, this method may not be as accurate as using a laser rangefinder. It is best to use a measuring tape for smaller buildings or structures.

4. Why is it important to measure the height of a building?

Measuring the height of a building is important for several reasons. It can provide valuable information for construction and engineering purposes, such as determining the structural stability of the building. It is also useful for city planning and zoning regulations.

5. Are there any tools or techniques that can be used to measure the height of a building without physically being at the site?

Yes, there are remote sensing techniques that can be used to measure the height of a building without physically being at the site. This includes the use of aerial photography, satellite imagery, and LiDAR technology. However, these methods may not be as accurate as physically measuring the building's height on-site.