Register to reply

How do you get from calculus to stochastic calculus?

by aliendoom
Tags: calculus, stochastic
Share this thread:
aliendoom
Oct17-05, 01:54 AM
P: 29
What is the path of study to understand stochastic calculus? I bought the book "Elementary Stochastic Calculus with Finance in View" (Mikosch) because it was touted as a non rigorous introduction to stochastic calculus, and I spent three days trying to decipher the first two pages. :(
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
Lonewolf
Oct17-05, 05:27 PM
P: 333
What level of mathematics education have you reached? You probably ought to have at least some level of familiarity with measure-theoretic probabality theory. What was the content of the first two pages?
aliendoom
Oct19-05, 04:04 AM
P: 29
What level of mathematics education have you reached?
I'm currently brushing up on forgotten calculus and statistics, so I'm afraid I haven't retained very much of my math education.
You probably ought to have at least some level of familiarity with measure-theoretic probabality theory.
How do I get from basic calculus and statistics to measure-theoretic probability? Do you have any book recommendations. I guess I would be looking for the least rigorous books available. A list of courses might be helpful as well, so I could see the progression and how far away I am.
What was the content of the first two pages?
The book starts out its description in the setting of a coin flip experiment. It says, if we let "heads" equal 1 and "tails" equal 0, then we get a random variable:

[itex]X=X(\omega)\epsilon\{0,1\}[/itex]

where [itex]\displaystyle\omega[/itex] belongs to the outcome space [itex]\Omega=\{heads, tails\}[/itex]

After I deciphered the notation, that seemed straightforward enough. But, then under the innocuous subheading:

"Which are the most likely [itex]X(\omega)[/itex], what are they concentrated around, what are their spread?

the book says that to approach those problems, one first collects "good" subsets of [itex]\Omega[/itex] in a class F, where F is a [itex]\sigma[/itex]-field. Such a class is supposed to contain all interesting events. Certainly, {w:X(w)=0}={tail} and {w:X(w)=1}={head} must belong to F, but also the union, difference, and intersection of any events in F and its complement the empty set. If A is an element of F, so is it's complement, and if A,B are elements of F, so are A intersection B, A union B, A union B complement, B union A complement, A intersection B complement, B intersection A complement, etc.

Whaaa? What's all that [itex]\sigma[/itex]-field stuff got to do with the probabilites of X(w)? Also, if A and B are a member of a class F, isn't A union B also automatically a member of the class F, as well as A intersection B, etc.?

Lonewolf
Oct19-05, 08:46 AM
P: 333
How do you get from calculus to stochastic calculus?

Take a peek at http://www.math.uconn.edu/~bass/lecture.html. I had a look around amazon and couldn't find anything like a non-rigourous book on the subject, and most of the books seem a bit pricey considering that you'll only be reading one or two chapters from them. Have a look at those notes and see how you get on.

Register to reply