(a^m^2 + 1) | (a^n^2 - 1) ?

• Thread starter JdotAckdot
  • Start date
In summary, the expression (a^m^2 + 1) | (a^n^2 - 1) is used to find common factors and simplify expressions. It can be solved for a using algebraic techniques and can be further simplified depending on the values of m and n. The possible values of a depend on m and n and the expression is related to number theory in studying properties and relationships of numbers.
JdotAckdot
(a^m^2 + 1) | (a^n^2 - 1) ?

I'm sure there is a quick trick I'm missing somewhere... but anyone have any ideas on how to prove:

(a^m^2 + 1) | (a^n^2 - 1) , for n > m.

[Show [a^(n^2) -1] is divisible by [a^(m^2) +1]

Thanks a lot. . .

(I've tried letting k=n-m, and other stuff like that... kept going in circles. I'm guessing Fermat's Little Thm comes in somewhere?)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not true. A counterexample exists among the very small integers...

One approach to proving this statement is to use mathematical induction. Let's start by assuming that the statement holds for some value of n, i.e. (a^m^2 + 1) | (a^n^2 - 1) for n > m. Now, we need to show that it also holds for n + 1, i.e. (a^m^2 + 1) | (a^(n+1)^2 - 1).

First, we can rewrite (a^(n+1)^2 - 1) as (a^n^2 + 2a^n + 1 - 1), and then factor out (a^n^2 - 1) to get (a^n^2 + 2a^n). By our assumption, we know that (a^m^2 + 1) | (a^n^2 - 1), so we can rewrite (a^n^2 + 2a^n) as (a^m^2 + 1) * (a^(n-m)^2 + 2a^(n-m)).

Now, we need to show that (a^(n-m)^2 + 2a^(n-m)) is also divisible by (a^m^2 + 1). We can do this by using the fact that (a^m^2 + 1) | (a^n^2 - 1) for n > m. We can rewrite (a^(n-m)^2 + 2a^(n-m)) as (a^m^2 * a^(n-m)^2 + 2a^(n-m)), and then factor out a^m^2 to get (a^m^2 * (a^(n-m)^2 + 2)).

Since (a^m^2 + 1) | (a^n^2 - 1) for n > m, we know that (a^m^2 + 1) | (a^(n-m)^2 - 1). Therefore, we can rewrite (a^m^2 * (a^(n-m)^2 + 2)) as (a^m^2 * (a^(n-m)^2 + 2) + (a^(n-m)^2 - 1)), which is equal to (a^m^2 * a^(n-m)^2 + 2a^(n-m)

1. What is the purpose of the expression (a^m^2 + 1) | (a^n^2 - 1)?

The expression (a^m^2 + 1) | (a^n^2 - 1) is used to find the common factors of two numbers, a^m^2 + 1 and a^n^2 - 1. It can also be used to simplify the expression by factoring out common terms.

2. How do you solve for a in the expression (a^m^2 + 1) | (a^n^2 - 1)?

To solve for a in the expression (a^m^2 + 1) | (a^n^2 - 1), you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, expanding, or substitution. The specific method used will depend on the values of m and n.

3. Can the expression (a^m^2 + 1) | (a^n^2 - 1) be simplified further?

Yes, depending on the values of m and n, the expression (a^m^2 + 1) | (a^n^2 - 1) can be further simplified. For example, if m and n are both even, the expression can be simplified to (a^2 + 1) | (a^2 - 1), which can then be simplified to (a + 1) | (a - 1).

4. What are the possible values of a in the expression (a^m^2 + 1) | (a^n^2 - 1)?

The possible values of a in the expression (a^m^2 + 1) | (a^n^2 - 1) will depend on the values of m and n. In general, a can be any real number, but there may be restrictions based on the values of m and n.

5. How does the expression (a^m^2 + 1) | (a^n^2 - 1) relate to number theory?

The expression (a^m^2 + 1) | (a^n^2 - 1) is related to number theory in that it deals with properties and relationships of numbers. It can be used to study concepts such as factors, primes, and divisibility. The expression is also used in various mathematical proofs and equations in number theory.