FCC license to use walkie talkies?

• Thread starter Junior Ivan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fcc
In summary, the rule is that you need an FCC license to use walkie talkies. The license is free, but you have to take a test to get it. The maximum power rating for a handheld is 5 watts.
Junior Ivan
Anyone know anything about that rule that says you have to have an FCC license to use walkie talkies?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure there must be some unlicensed bands you can use...

I don't know any of the details, but it relates to power levels and what part of the freq spectrum you're using. Eg. very low power walkie talkies, sold in toy stores, are below the power levels required for licensing. Any ham radio operator could give you details regarding frequencies and power output.

its says something about certain channels like FMRS or GMS
When i look it up in the manual, pretty much all the good long distance channels are the ones i can't use, and i heard that they can trace you if you don't have a callsign or something like that.

It is like this: There are essentially two types of walkie-talkies you are allowed to use without any specific kind of license: CB, which has been around for several decades. These frequencies are around 29 MHz, so theoretically you could under certain not too infrequent conditions use them to communicate over great distances, but the FCC explicitly prohibits such activities: You are not ALLOWED to use CB to communicate over a distance of more than 150 miles. Since there is also a restriction on the power any CB radio is allowed to put out, in most cases it will be physically impossible to use CB over a distance of more than 50 or 100 miles.

The other type of "license-free" walkie talkies are the newer UHF ones called FRS or something like that. I don't know the exact acronyms, but I believe it stands for Family Radio Services or General something... If I am not mistaken, these use frequencies around 455 MHz and no more than 0.5 watts, which limits their range to no more than a couple of miles under virtually all conditions.

GMRS is General Mobile Radio Service, and as far as I know it requires an FCC license, which is about $75, but no test. I think they use certain frequencies around 460 MHz.

Marine VHF radios also require an FCC license, but no test.

Then there is Ham Radio, also called Amateur Radio. For these radios you need an FCC license, which is free, but you have to take a little multiple choice test, and I believe the test costs $12 or $14. Depending on what class of amateur license you go for (if you are a physics major you should have no difficulty getting the highest class, called Amateur Extra in the US), you are allowed to use certain (quite large) frequency ranges all over the spectrum. I believe there are some long wave bands, there are definitely the 160 meter, 80m, 40m, 30m, 20m, 18m, 15m, 12m, 10m, 6m, 2m, 1.25m, 70cm, 33cm, and 23cm bands, plus a lot of available space if you want to go even higher. For those frequencies, you will probably have to build your own equipment, which by the way you are allowed to if you hold any class amateur license.

Anyway, if you want a radio that goes farther than a few miles, you either have to pay for some sort of a commercial license or become a ham. But of course, ham radio may not be used for commercial purposes, I believe the rule says you are not allowed to have any financial interest in any communication carried out over ham radio (with certain reasonable exceptions).

Last edited:
So they'd bust you even if its just casual conversation?

Originally posted by Junior Ivan
So they'd bust you even if its just casual conversation?

I don't think they are much concerned with the content, it is the simple fact that you are broadcasting that matters.

corrrect me if I'm wrong, but I believe 5 watts is the maximum power rating allow for a handheld.

1. What is an FCC license to use walkie talkies?

An FCC license to use walkie talkies is a legal document issued by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) that gives individuals or organizations permission to operate a two-way radio communication device, such as a walkie talkie, on designated frequencies within a specific geographic area.

2. Why do I need an FCC license to use walkie talkies?

The FCC requires a license for certain types of radio communications in order to regulate the use of the radio spectrum and prevent interference with other users. This ensures that walkie talkies and other devices can operate effectively and safely without causing interference to other radio signals.

3. How do I obtain an FCC license to use walkie talkies?

To obtain an FCC license, you must submit an application to the FCC through their Universal Licensing System (ULS). The application process typically involves providing information about the type of device you will be using, the specific frequencies you will be operating on, and your contact information. There may also be a fee associated with the application.

4. Are there different types of FCC licenses for walkie talkies?

Yes, there are two main types of FCC licenses for walkie talkies: the Personal Radio Service (PRS) license and the General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) license. The PRS license is for personal, non-commercial use and allows for communication on designated frequencies. The GMRS license is for personal or business use and allows for communication on a wider range of frequencies with higher power levels.

5. How long does an FCC license to use walkie talkies last?

An FCC license to use walkie talkies typically lasts for 10 years. However, it is important to note that the license may be subject to renewal or modification at any time by the FCC. It is the responsibility of the license holder to ensure that their license remains valid and in compliance with FCC regulations.