Imaginary Number to Indicate Division by Zero?

In summary, there is a difference between division by zero and the concept of an imaginary number, which was created to extend the solutions of polynomial equations. It is possible to create a number system where division by zero is allowed, but it would involve giving up certain properties. The concept of 0 not being equal to 1 is an important axiom in defining a field, and there is a degenerate case where it would result in a field with only one element. It is also worth noting that Cardano did not originally discover the solution for the cubic equation, but rather it was shown to him by another mathematician.
Jeff Ford
Forgive me if I'm being ignorant, but this recently occurred to me. We all know division by zero is undefinfed, but [itex] \sqrt {-1} [/itex] used to be undefined too, until [itex] i [/itex] was created.
Has anyone ever proposed an imaginary number to indicate the result after division by zero?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, you might replace the axiom in the real number system that says [itex]1\neq{0}[/itex] with the axiom [itex]1=0[/itex] instead.
It won't be a terribly interesting number system, but the number [tex]1/0[/tex] would be defined there.

There's a huge difference. A number divided by zero is 'undefined' since it can take any possible value. For instance, if a = bc, and a is zero and c is zero, what is b? b can be anything at all!

Root -1 is not 'undefined' in this sense (in fact, I've never heard of anyone past or present referring to it as undefined) - it is just not real, that is: any real number squared is always greater than or equal to zero. No-one ever suggested, to my knowledge, that root -1 is equal to root -2, or any other number, so the two really aren't comparable.

When ab = c, we can find b if we divide c by a, i.e. c/a. This inverse operation of multiplication, using the multiplicative inverse of a number x being 1/x, gives a unique number b here, at least that's how we want it to be.
By allowing division by 0, we lose this uniqueness since for every x, 0*x = 0.

I figured I was wrong. Just wanted to know why.

Thanks

Actually, [itex]\sqrt{-1}[/itex] is undefined... when working over the real numbers! :smile:

Compiling what the others have said, if you take the field axioms, that is the list of properties like a+(b+c)=(a+b)+c that a "good" number system should have, together with the axiom [itex]1 \neq 0[/itex], you can prove that one cannot extend the definition of division to allow division by zero.

Similarly, if you take the ordered field axioms[/i], that is the field axioms together with additional properties defining "<", then you can prove that one cannot extend the definition of square root to allow square roots of negative numbers.

The moral is that if you want these extra things, such as division by zero to be allowed, or negative numbers to have square roots, you're going to have to give up one of the "good" properties.

For example, to get square roots of negative numbers, one gives up the ordering: "<" does not make sense for complex numbers.

One can give up things to get division by zero. The most obvious is the assumption that 1 is nonzero. There are other things you can do: for example, I've seen a number system where you can compute x/0 for any nonzero x, but sometimes x+y is undefined.

If we have the set of all matrices
[tex]\left(
\begin{array}{clrr}
x&-y\\
y&x
\end{array}
\right)[/tex]
where [itex]x, y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] then under addition and multiplication of matrices we have a field.

We then can associate any matrix in this form with a special number of the form [itex]x+iy[/itex] where [itex]i[/itex] has the special property such that [itex]i^2=-1[/itex]. Of course, these are complex numbers.

As long as our field axioms don't contradict each other, we can be safe in the knowledge that we will not run into trouble with complex numbers.

Last edited:
i was created for electronics purposes, and for the e^(i*Pi)+1=0

1/0 would not have a value, but maybe a constant. Graph 1/x and look at it at x=0. you'll see that y= both positive and negative infinity. in other words at x=0, the absolute value of y= infinity.

well, it's not that easy to swallow a concept like that...but who knows.

Natural numbers 5
Whole numbers -5
Rational numbers -5/3
Real numbers i
Complex numbers i-1
-------------------
"Jeff" numbers 2/0+(7)^(1/2)*i-5/3

? Would that do?

While I would agree that electronics and electrical engineering, in general, greatly benefits from the conventions of complex numbers I'm not so sure that they were created for "electronics purposes"? I think rather that complex numbers were at first seen as a way to naturally expand the solutions of polynomial equations.

The complex numbers were first seriously considered when they arose in the solution of cubic polynomials with real roots.

Robokapp said:
i was created for electronics purposes, and for the e^(i*Pi)+1=0

Only if Cardano et al knew about electronics 3 centuries before the electron was discovered.

matt grime said:
Only if Cardano et al knew about electronics 3 centuries before the electron was discovered.

I found out today that Cardano didn't actually come up with the solution for the cubic. In fact it was shown to him by another mathematician (whos name I forgot) and he just published it. Did anyone also hear this?

Also, it was mentioned earlier about the axiom that 0 doesn't equal 1. I've done a bit of field theory and set theory, and never encountered such an axiom. Where does it appear? What is its precise formulation?

The set of nonzero elements of a field form a multiplicative group and that set is non-empty. That is one way to formulate the fact that 0=/=1.

of course there is another intrinsic reason why this is true:

if 0 were also the mutl identity then a.0=a for any a and one can also prove that 0.a=0 for any a (without appeal to what 1 might be) and thus in a putative field where 0=1 it follows that every number is zero. Thus there is a degenerate case that implies {0,+,.} is a field, though with the troubling notion that its multiplicative subgroup is no longer the non-zero elements but all elements including zero, which is not how one usually phrases it.

Last edited:
Tzar said:
I found out today that Cardano didn't actually come up with the solution for the cubic. In fact it was shown to him by another mathematician (whos name I forgot) and he just published it. Did anyone also hear this?
This is referred to in "An Imaginary Tale" by Nahin and "Mathematics and its History" by Stillwell. Cardano attributed the credit to del Ferro (who passed it to Tartaglia) in his papers, even though he had to rederive the solution himself.
Tzar said:
Also, it was mentioned earlier about the axiom that 0 doesn't equal 1. I've done a bit of field theory and set theory, and never encountered such an axiom. Where does it appear? What is its precise formulation?
One of the field axioms is that [itex]a\in F[/itex] implies aa-1 = a-1a = 1 for all nonzero a. If you remove the qualifier "nonzero", you can rewrite the axiom a + 0 = a as 0-1*a + 1 = 0-1*a which leads to 1=0.

I know for a fact that it has something to do with electronic aplications, especially with electronics like cell phones.

I also know it was "figured out" although it's poorly siad by an indian in the 16th century or around that time anyway. someone called Omar something? i don't know. Anyway...substituting (-1)^(1/2) by i is no real accomplishment in my eyes...

i can substitute 0^0 by z and have a constant that is undefined...and i'd be cool like that, but until someone uses my 0^0 for something...it's pointless.

The constant 'i' was integrated for purely mathematical purposes, without reference to physics. Physics may use any part of established mathematics at any time to build quantitative models, but the inclusion of said mathematics thereof isn't a justification for the mathematics itself. The mathematics must be self-consistent and yield general meaningful theorems/tie into existing mathematical structures to be useful.
Your renaming of 0^0 is not analogous to the inclusion of the square root of -1 into a system of numbers that enhanced our understanding of real numbers/geometry. It had nothing to do with the name of the element, whether it was called i or j. Renaming an undefined object doesn't serve a mathematical purpose; it is only done as a shorthand reference.
Robokapp said:
I also know it was "figured out" although it's poorly siad by an indian in the 16th century or around that time anyway.
i was algebraically used to solve equations in Bombelli's 1572 Algebra, but I am unaware of any other recorded formal use of i before this, or independent discovery at this time.

Last edited:
1572 is 16th century...right? yea. 1950 were in 20th century.

Robokapp said:
1572 is 16th century...right? yea. 1950 were in 20th century.
Bombelli is an Italian. :tongue:

masudr said:
If we have the set of all matrices
[tex]\left(
\begin{array}{clrr}
x&-y\\
y&x
\end{array}
\right)[/tex]
where [itex]x, y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] then under addition and multiplication of matrices we have a field.

We then can associate any matrix in this form with a special number of the form [itex]x+iy[/itex] where [itex]i[/itex] has the special property such that [itex]i^2=-1[/itex]. Of course, these are complex numbers.

As long as our field axioms don't contradict each other, we can be safe in the knowledge that we will not run into trouble with complex numbers.

What I meant to add was that if one can successfully construct such a system with the division by the identity under addition being well defined then you can define 1/0, until then it will most probably run into problems or not be very useful.

well, setting 1/0=Z is sometihng you can do in your spare time...but you can't ask the math books to start using it as generalized and accepted concept. i think that's the bottom line.

i mean when I'm checking derivative homework for example I'm usually setting x = e so i can reduce the ln x easy and have a better look at what is going on in that thing...

or a better example: reduce the follwoing trinomial: x^4+4x^2+4=0

you can call x^2=a and you'll have

a^2+4a+4=0 or (a+2)^2=0 and substituting back you have (x^2+2)^2=0

can you do that from the start and set x^4=(x^2)^2 ? Yes.
it would be (X^2)^2+2*2(X^2)+2^2=0 no big deal...but substitutions like that are easily used for simplification reasons.

when you're doing [itex]\sqrt{-9}[/itex] you might as well do 3[itex]\sqrt{-1}[/itex] and leave it to that instead of 3i. but 3i is easy to write and plain simple to understand...plus it's easier to see the positive - negative relation on 3i than on 3[itex]\sqrt{-1}[/itex]...too much to look at.

Here's something from Wikipedia about the extended reals and 1/0:

"Note that 1 / 0 is not defined as either +∞ or −∞, because although it is true that whenever f(x) → 0 for a continuous function f(x), we must have that 1/f(x) is eventually in every neighbourhood of the set {−∞, +∞}, it is not true that 1/f(x) must converge to one of these points. An example is f(x) = 1/(sin(1/x))."

Sidetrack deleted.

Every number or a variable has a definite value (can only take one value at a time), if x = 5 apples, you have 5 apples no more or less.

But 1/0 is a special number that contains all the values of -infinity to +infinity at the same time.

Hence if you look at the graph of y = 1/x you will see that at x = 0, y is every number on y-axis at the same time.

I'm pretty sure there is a new branch of mathematics waiting to be discovered, because why else would nature wanted it undefined?

waht said:
Hence if you look at the graph of y = 1/x you will see that at x = 0, y is every number on y-axis at the same time.
When I look at the graph, I find no y-value at x = 0, only the fact that it's tangent at + and - infinity, respectively at the positive and negative side of 0.

Robokapp said:
I know for a fact that it has something to do with electronic aplications, especially with electronics like cell phones.

It has a great deal to do with electronics and electromagnetic theory. It's very common to write the electric part of an electromagnetic wave as a real and the magnetic part as imaginary - the interactions of the electric and magnetic portions are nicely modeled as complex numbers. Still, the fact that it works well there doesn't mean it was invented for that. Non-Euclidean geometry works well in relativity, but it predates relativity by over a century.

Oh - and i is often used to indicate current, but has nothing to do with the imaginary. It doesn't seem like you were confused about that, but I thought it worth mentioning.

As for whether something with no real-world application is "pointless", I would direct you to my favorite toast:

To pure mathematics! May it never be of any use to anyone!

TD said:
When I look at the graph, I find no y-value at x = 0, only the fact that it's tangent at + and - infinity, respectively at the positive and negative side of 0.

You find no single value at x = 0, but multiple values that are between -inf and + inf.

If R is a set of real numbers, you could say 5 belongs in R or 100000 belongs in R.

But 1/0 does not equal R because all numbers in R compose 1/0.

Or 1/0 is not a set, that is it does not contain indivudal numbers or sets of R, Q, or C.

Nor it contains any infinite numbers or sets.

1/0 is a single entitiy that equals all elements of R.

1/0 = 5
1/0 = 334
1/0 = 10000000
1/0 = 234 and 325
1/0 = 100 or 32 and 293 and 1 or 0
1/0 = any number in R , pick one or all

waht said:
1/0 = 5
By the definition of division, this statement is equivalent to 5*0=1, which is false.

1. What is an imaginary number?

An imaginary number is a complex number that can be written as a real number multiplied by the imaginary unit, denoted by "i". It is defined as the square root of -1.

2. What is the purpose of using imaginary numbers to indicate division by zero?

Imaginary numbers are used to indicate division by zero in order to avoid mathematical contradictions. In traditional arithmetic, division by zero is undefined and leads to errors in calculations. By using imaginary numbers, we can extend the number system to include division by zero and solve equations that would otherwise be impossible.

3. How do imaginary numbers help solve problems involving division by zero?

Imaginary numbers can be used to simplify complex equations involving division by zero. By representing the division by zero as an imaginary number, we can manipulate the equation using algebraic rules and find a solution.

4. Are there any real-life applications of imaginary numbers and division by zero?

Yes, imaginary numbers and division by zero are used in various fields such as electrical engineering, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. For example, in electrical engineering, imaginary numbers are used to represent the phase of alternating current, which is essential in designing and analyzing circuits.

5. Is there a limit to the number of times you can divide by zero using imaginary numbers?

No, there is no limit to the number of times you can divide by zero using imaginary numbers. This is because imaginary numbers are defined as the square root of -1, and there is no limit to the number of times a negative number can be squared. However, the resulting value will always be an imaginary number and cannot be simplified to a real number.