Register to reply

Radiation pressure

by Pepsi24chevy
Tags: pressure, radiation
Share this thread:
Pepsi24chevy
Oct19-05, 11:21 AM
P: 65
Ok, i got a problem that reads as followed.

Suppose that a perfectly reflecting circular mirror is initially at rest a distance R away from the sun and is oriented so that the solar radiation is incident upon, and perpendicular to, the plane of the mirror. What is the critical value of mass/area for which the radiation pressure exactly cancels out the force due to gravity?

Ok so lets start with the given:, I know mass of the sun is 2.0 x 10^30 kg
intensity of sunlight as a function of the distance R from the sun = 3.2x10^25(1/R^2) (w/m^2)
and the gravitational constant is 6.67x 10^-11

Radiation pressure ecerted on a perfectly reflecting surface is P= 2S/c where C is the speed of light and S is the poynting vector? I know the answer is going ot be mass/area in which the mass is mass of the sun. The answer will also be in kg/m^2. Now i am not sure how to setup this problem.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Andrew Mason
Oct19-05, 02:39 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 6,653
Quote Quote by Pepsi24chevy
Ok, i got a problem that reads as followed.
Suppose that a perfectly reflecting circular mirror is initially at rest a distance R away from the sun and is oriented so that the solar radiation is incident upon, and perpendicular to, the plane of the mirror. What is the critical value of mass/area for which the radiation pressure exactly cancels out the force due to gravity?
Ok so lets start with the given:, I know mass of the sun is 2.0 x 10^30 kg
intensity of sunlight as a function of the distance R from the sun = 3.2x10^25(1/R^2) (w/m^2)
and the gravitational constant is 6.67x 10^-11
Radiation pressure ecerted on a perfectly reflecting surface is P= 2S/c where C is the speed of light and S is the poynting vector? I know the answer is going ot be mass/area in which the mass is mass of the sun. The answer will also be in kg/m^2. Now i am not sure how to setup this problem.
The counter-force to radiation force is the weight of the reflecting surface (mass of mirror x acceleration due to gravity ([itex]F=mGM_{sun}/r^2 [/itex]). In terms of pressure this is:

[tex]P = F/A = \frac{\rho*Ad*GM_{sun}}{Ar^2} = \frac{\rho*d*GM_{sun}}{r^2}[/tex]

Equating the two:

[tex]P = \Phi_E/c = \frac{\rho*d*GM_{sun}}{r^2}[/tex]

where [itex]\Phi_E = \frac{E}{4\pi r^2}[/itex] is the energy flux (E/A)

You should be able to work it out from that.
AM

Register to reply