What is the Computational Complexity of Rearranging a Crossword Puzzle Grid?

• Thread starter -Job-
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the size of the biggest square composed entirely of black boxes in a n*n crossword puzzle grid. It also mentions finding the smallest k that is a lower bound for the run time of any algorithm solving this problem, and the implications for the P=NP problem.
-Job-
Science Advisor
Given an n*n crossword puzzle grid composed of n^2 boxes (black and white), consider the problem of determining the size of the biggest square composed entirely of black boxes that can be created by first rearranging the rows and then the columns.
Determine the smallest k such that O(n^k) is the lower bound on the run time of any algorithm claimed to solve all instances of the above problem (with n<=m, where m is any positive integer).

This problem gets really hard as m gets bigger.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is this a challenge or do you need help with the problem?

It's a challenge, good luck. :)
You should note that the instance of the problem where n= [any integer] is the P=NP problem, so don't try to solve that one. If you can give a sequence of m's where the corresponding k's increase as points in an exponential function then that would imply, though not prove, that P!=NP.
I wonder suppose i have an enormous sequence of m's and corresponding k's and the k's exhibit exponential behavior. No matter how big my sequence is, because it is finite, i can always find a polynomial that can produce those points, so this strategy will never prove P!=NP, or otherwise.

[EDIT: i take that back, for a large enough sequence you can get yourself $1 Million]

Last edited:
Thanks, but I don't have time to be messing with NP problems.

What is the "Hard Problem"?

The "Hard Problem" refers to the question of how physical processes in the brain give rise to subjective experience or consciousness.

Why is the "Hard Problem" difficult to solve?

The "Hard Problem" is difficult to solve because it involves understanding the relationship between the physical and the subjective, which are two fundamentally different aspects of reality. It also involves complex philosophical and scientific concepts that are still not fully understood.

Can the "Hard Problem" be solved?

There is currently no consensus among scientists and philosophers on whether the "Hard Problem" can be solved. Some argue that it may never be fully solved, while others believe that advances in neuroscience and technology may eventually provide an answer.

What are some proposed solutions to the "Hard Problem"?

Some proposed solutions to the "Hard Problem" include the idea that consciousness is an emergent property of complex brain processes, the notion of panpsychism where consciousness is a fundamental property of the universe, and the concept of dualism where the mind and brain are two separate entities.

Why is the "Hard Problem" important?

The "Hard Problem" is important because it challenges our understanding of the nature of consciousness and how it relates to the physical world. It has implications for fields such as neuroscience, psychology, and philosophy, and has sparked debates and discussions about the nature of reality and human existence.