Sound frequency and strength measuring

In summary, the speaker and function generator can be used to produce and change the frequency and strength of the sound, while a microphone or accelerometer, along with an amplifier and oscilloscope or spectrum analyzer, can be used to measure it. Other options such as using a musical instrument or computer program may not be as precise.
Vanjlaz
Can you please help me with my problem?
I need to measure how sound spreads trough foam. To measure it i need one source of sound and one recorder of sound. Ofcourse i need to change frequency and strength of sound to see if there is change in its spreading trough foam.
I don't know how to produce and measure sound of specific frequency and strength? I have some ideas of my own but I am not sure if they would work.
First i have to produce sound. Is there an instrument that produces different kinds of sound and shows their frequency and strength? Perhaps a computer program?
I could use some kind of musical instrument to produce sound but then I would have to measure its frequency and strength and it would not be so precise.
How to measure frequency and strength of sound:
First idea:
Could I use microphones connected to computer? What software would I have to get then? Would it be precise? :uhh:
Second idea:
Could I get some kind of instrument which meashures it?
Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. To produce the sound, you need a speaker, which you can hook up to a function generator (which can be used to change waveform and well as frequency).

2. To measure the sound, you could use either a microphone (if you are measuring it in air) or an accelerometer (if you want to measure the sound waves inside some solid/liquid medium). You'd probably want to feed your output from the recording device through an amplifier, before feeding it to an oscilloscope (or, if you want to get fancy, a spectrum analyzer).

Thank you very much!

1. What is sound frequency and how is it measured?

Sound frequency refers to the number of cycles that a sound wave completes in one second. It is measured in Hertz (Hz), with one Hz being equal to one cycle per second. Sound frequency can be measured using a device called a sound frequency meter or an oscilloscope.

2. How does the strength of a sound affect its frequency?

The strength of a sound, or its amplitude, does not affect its frequency. The frequency of a sound wave is determined by the source of the sound and remains constant regardless of its amplitude. However, the perceived loudness of a sound may be affected by its amplitude.

3. Can sound frequency be converted into other units of measurement?

Yes, sound frequency can be converted into other units of measurement such as radians per second or cycles per minute. These units are often used in different fields of study, but they all represent the same concept of sound frequency.

4. How is sound strength or amplitude measured?

Sound strength, or amplitude, is measured using a decibel (dB) scale. This scale is logarithmic and compares the sound pressure level to a reference point of 0 dB, which is the smallest sound that can be heard by the human ear. A sound level meter is typically used to measure sound amplitude.

5. What is the relationship between sound frequency and pitch?

Sound frequency and pitch are closely related, but not the same thing. Pitch refers to the perceived highness or lowness of a sound, while sound frequency refers to the actual physical measurement of the sound wave. Generally, higher frequency sounds are perceived as higher pitched, and lower frequency sounds are perceived as lower pitched.