Sound frequency and strength measuring

by Vanjlaz
Tags: frequency, measuring, sound, strength
Share this thread:
Vanjlaz
Oct23-05, 11:10 AM
P: 2
Can you please help me with my problem?
I need to measure how sound spreads trough foam. To measure it i need one source of sound and one recorder of sound. Ofcourse i need to change frequency and strength of sound to see if there is change in its spreading trough foam.
I don't know how to produce and measure sound of specific frequency and strength? I have some ideas of my own but I am not sure if they would work.
First i have to produce sound. Is there an instrument that produces different kinds of sound and shows their frequency and strength? Perhaps a computer program?
I could use some kind of musical instrument to produce sound but then I would have to measure its frequency and strength and it would not be so precise.
How to measure frequency and strength of sound:
First idea:
Could I use microphones connected to computer? What software would I have to get then? Would it be precise?
Second idea:
Could I get some kind of instrument which meashures it?
Please help.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Gokul43201
Oct23-05, 01:20 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
1. To produce the sound, you need a speaker, which you can hook up to a function generator (which can be used to change waveform and well as frequency).

2. To measure the sound, you could use either a microphone (if you are measuring it in air) or an accelerometer (if you want to measure the sound waves inside some solid/liquid medium). You'd probably want to feed your output from the recording device through an amplifier, before feeding it to an oscilloscope (or, if you want to get fancy, a spectrum analyzer).
Vanjlaz
Oct24-05, 03:59 PM
P: 2
Thank you very much!

Register to reply