Register to reply

A quick one

by bobsmiters
Tags: None
Share this thread:
bobsmiters
Oct24-05, 02:07 AM
P: 12
If a and b are relatively prime integers whose product is a square, show by means of an example that a and b are not necessarily squares. If they are not squares, what are they?

Unless I read this question wrong I have not found and answer from 1 to 40... a little frustrated if anybody can help out.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
AKG
Oct24-05, 02:48 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,586
[tex]\mathbb{Z} = \{ 0,\, 1,\, \dots ,\, 40,\, 41\, \dots \}\ \mathbf{\cup \ \{-1,\, -2,\, \dots \}}[/tex]

Start with the assumption that a and b are coprime integers whose product is square. What can you deduce about the prime factors of a and b? You should be able to deduce something almost like that a and b should both be square, but the fact that you're looking for integers will provide a loophole.
ramsey2879
Oct24-05, 11:29 PM
P: 894
Quote Quote by AKG
[tex]\mathbb{Z} = \{ 0,\, 1,\, \dots ,\, 40,\, 41\, \dots \}\ \mathbf{\cup \ \{-1,\, -2,\, \dots \}}[/tex]
Start with the assumption that a and b are coprime integers whose product is square. What can you deduce about the prime factors of a and b? You should be able to deduce something almost like that a and b should both be square, but the fact that you're looking for integers will provide a loophole.
To clarify you must account for the fact that integers are both negative and positive. Remember that a square can not be negative, but that coprime factors can.

Register to reply