by jena
Tags: produced, wave
Share this thread:
jena
Oct26-05, 11:41 PM
P: 74
Hi,

My question:

Explain how an electromagnetic wave is produced?

My Answer

A charged particle produces an electric field. the electric field exerts a force charged particles. Positive charges accelerate in the direction of the field and negative charges accelerate in the direction of the field and negative charges acclerate in a direction opposite to the direction of the field.

Also a moving charged particle produces a magnetic field. This field exerts a force on other moving charges. the force on those charges is always perpendicular to the direction of their velocity and therefore only changes the direction of velocity.

Since electromagnetic waves are electric and magnetic field traveling through empty space at the speed of light, then an accelerating charged particle produces an electromagnetic wave.

I know this is a bit lengthy, but is this correct to say or is there a shorter way to explain this

Thank You
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Mysterious source of ozone-depleting chemical baffles NASA
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
How lizards regenerate their tails: Researchers discover genetic 'recipe'
Tide
Oct26-05, 11:47 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 3,144
Try this: "An accelerated charge radiates EM waves."
Oct27-05, 12:28 AM
P: 68
"fluxuations in electric and magnetic field produces an electromagnetic wave"

jtbell
Oct27-05, 01:13 AM
Mentor
P: 11,740
How is a EM wave produced

An electric field that changes with time produces a magnetic field. A magnetic field that changes with time produces an electric field.

In an electromagnetic wave, the electric field changes in such a way that the induced magnetic field also changes. In fact, the magnetic field changes in such a way that it induces an electric field that also changes. Go back to the beginning of this paragraph and repeat, over and over and over...

Register to reply