Share this thread:
Moonbear
Oct29-05, 02:27 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Quote Quote by Monique
If you want to draw a short line you just move your finger very little, you don't even need to move your finger but just tilt it. The problem with not having it that way is that the tracking pad because too small for moving the pointer over the screen, you are constantly whiping your finger over the pad, which is very uncomfortable (for your finger and arm).
I never noticed anything in my arm. I think trackpad finger matches my pipettor's thumb.

Anyway, I bought a eenie teenie tiny mouse for 12 euros that looks really nice and works well too
I've always wondered about those tiny mice. Is it comfortable to use? There are a number of makers of those, and I've been tempted to get one for travelling. I recently got a full-sized mouse (Mac's Mighty Mouse...my full "review" is posted in General Technology), which is fine when just going from home to office, but when I'm traveling, I was thinking a small one that takes up very little space would be better since I'm often cramming as much as possible into one bag (and I admit, they're also just cute looking). Which brand did you get? I don't know if the same would be available in the US, but if it works well, at least I could try to find it here.
Monique
Oct29-05, 02:57 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
I got this mouse http://www.sweex.com/product.asp?pid=469 from sweex, with retractrable cord. It looks VERY sleek!! The scroll button has a blue led underneath, so it lights up blue and the whole thing is matt black rubber, with the silver lining/dots. It moves very easily over the desk, there is little resistant and lies good in the hand. I love it, my bf can't keep his hands off it too Also, when I hold it up from the desk the red led underneath starts flashing: a real disco mouse I tried another small mouse (a pretty green one), but the shape wasn't as ergonomic as this one.
I also looked for a mac mouse, but those things are 55 euros (how do I make the euro sign under the two appear?) and you only get one button
Moonbear
Oct29-05, 03:31 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Quote Quote by Monique
I got this mouse http://www.sweex.com/product.asp?pid=469 from sweex, with retractrable cord. It looks VERY sleek!! The scroll button has a blue led underneath, so it lights up blue and the whole thing is matt black rubber, with the silver lining/dots. It moves very easily over the desk, there is little resistant and lies good in the hand. I love it, my bf can't keep his hands off it too Also, when I hold it up from the desk the red led underneath starts flashing: a real disco mouse I tried another small mouse (a pretty green one), but the shape wasn't as ergonomic as this one.
Cool...I might see if I can find it in the US.

I also looked for a mac mouse, but those things are 55 euros (how do I make the euro sign under the two appear?) and you only get one button
Wow, that's expensive. For quite a bit less than that price, I got the Mighty Mouse, which has 4-buttons and a trackball (don't be fooled, it still looks like a one-button mouse, but it isn't), and still within that price range, I could get a wireless mouse! I wonder why a basic single-button mouse would cost so much in Europe? They seem to be ripping you off for it there. Actually, I just looked for the US pricing, and can't even find a basic one-button mouse at the Apple Store now. That's odd. I wonder if they've just done away with those for the Mighty Mouse. But, anyway, other brands of mice work just as well, so no need to spend money for the brand-name if you just want a basic mouse.
Crumbles
Nov1-05, 02:31 PM
P: 135
Quote Quote by Monique
If you want to draw a short line you just move your finger very little, you don't even need to move your finger but just tilt it. The problem with not having it that way is that the tracking pad because too small for moving the pointer over the screen, you are constantly whiping your finger over the pad, which is very uncomfortable (for your finger and arm).

Anyway, I bought a eenie teenie tiny mouse for 12 euros that looks really nice and works well too

I recently started using a mac too and yeah the latency of the track pad drove me nuts!! It took forever to move from one edge of the screen to the other. But I eventually found an add on that fixes that. MouseZoom

Upon installation, it adds an option in 'System Preferences' called MouseZoom. You can get to 'System Preferences' from the Dock. And it lets you adjust how fast you want the mouse pointer to move.
Crumbles
Nov1-05, 02:35 PM
P: 135
Quote Quote by loseyourname
Monique, I made a thread for you in GD where I include pictures. Maybe that will help you.

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthr...229#post805229
Thanks for that loseyourname! Just wish this post was here about a month ago! I went through the same confusion about how OSX handles program installations.

But I do like Adium! It lets me connect to all the different IM services in the one program and looks real sleek too!
rho
Nov5-05, 04:24 PM
P: 93
Just saw this thread I'v been busy doing my uni applications recently, did everyone sort out all there problems? I'll read it all tommorow and post some advice.
rho
Nov7-05, 03:13 PM
Quote Quote by Monique
I just bought a mac and it's driving me crazy, first of all it already crashed twice on me and also didn't want to restart.. aren't macs supposed to not-crash?

Major issue at the moment: when I install software (like firefox or amsn) and run it, a desktop item appears: volume. In order to remove it I need to CTRL-click it and select "eject volume", is this normal behaviour?

Also: how do I uninstall software? For the firefox I needed to delete everything folder-by-folder and it took forever to find all the locations and be able to delete it (no uninstall file was present).
Monique's first post:

Is it still crashing often?, is it just freezing or is it a kernel panic? (a semi-transparent grey screen with "you need to restart" (or word to that effect). If it is the latter and it happens often once a day or more it may be your RAM so find the hardware test disk that came with your machine and follow the instructions on it to test the RAM. If anything is wrong ring apple and get a replacement machine.

When you download an application (a free one usually has this form of installation)
you need to load up the file you download (icon will look like a hard-drive), this will create a temporary drive in the finder, just under "Macintosh HD", but what you need to do is drag the contents of this volume onto your applications folder and it will copy it to there (make a folder in there for each application to keep it tidy). Then eject the volume and delete file you downloaded.
Some applications do have installers like on windows but these are normally
applications to be installed from disks you purchased.

No applications on OS X have uninstall file you just have to put it in the trash and then empty the trash to do this, some preferences files will remain but you can search for them in spotlight and delete them if you wish.

More to come.
rho
Nov7-05, 03:57 PM
For the track pad I would use the MouseZoom application posted by crumbles above.

I had a look around for a way to do it without any third party applications and found this. You'll need to use the Terminal for this, as well as the Property List Editor tool that's part of XCode. The setting is inside this file: "~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist" (without the quotes). You'll need to make that file visible by copying it (using the cp command - cp source destination) to a filename without a period in front of it (I used test.plist). Then, drag that test.plist file to Property List Editor (found in /Developer/Applications/Utilities) and look for a setting called com.apple.mouse.scaling. Its normal maximum value is 3.000000 - change that to something bigger. Save the edited file, then go back into Terminal and use cp again to replace the original .GlobalPreferences.plist file with the edited one. Once that's done, log out and back in for the change to take effect. This will provide you with a faster trackpad if you put a large number in above.

Register to reply