Register to reply

Magnetic field on a slope

by kpangrace
Tags: field, magnetic, slope
Share this thread:
kpangrace
Oct27-05, 08:41 PM
P: 17
The two conducting rails in the drawing are tilted upwards so they make an angle of 30.0 with respect to the ground. The vertical magnetic field has a magnitude of 0.048 T. The 0.22 kg aluminum rod (length = 1.6 m) slides without friction down the rails at a constant velocity. How much current flows through the bar?

ok so i'm really completely lost here, but let me give you guys what i'm thinking, see if you could lead me in the right direction

I'm expecting that you don't use that 30 degrees as part of F= ILB sin(theta), but rather you use it to find force with F=ma right? if thats the case, how would you find the acceleration? would it just be 9.8 for gravity, or would it be something else because you're not going straight down...... but then i have a problem with velocity being constant, which means there would be no acceleration.... but there has to be gravity.......

(i'm sorry if i seem all over the place just confused)

so here's what i've done and it didn't work

F=ma

F= .22 * 9.8sin30
F= 1.078
F= I L B sin(theta)
1.078= I 1.6*.048 sin 90
I =14.036

thats not the right answer, but to me that seems the only logical way to go about answering this problem.... any info would help thank you!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Apple to unveil 'iWatch' on September 9
NASA deep-space rocket, SLS, to launch in 2018
Study examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents
kpangrace
Oct27-05, 08:53 PM
P: 17
Nevermind i figured it out, its sin(60), not sine of 30 or 90.... you can kill this thread if you wish!

Register to reply