Optimizing PRS in an Optimization Problem (See Attachment)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to optimize the shortest length of a rope between two fixed poles, with the restriction that the angles of the triangles formed by the rope must be equal. The suggested method involves writing the total length of the rope in terms of trigonometric functions and using the method of reflections to prove that the shortest length occurs when the angles are equal. However, the speaker has already tried this method and it did not work, so they are seeking further explanation.
dekoi
(See Attachment)
I don't quite understand what i am supposed to optimize, and what my restriction formula is. Is QT constant? But in that case, how could i optimize PRS?
I tried the following:
[tex]l = PR + RS[/tex]

[tex] PR^2 = PQ^2 + QR^2[/tex]

[tex] cos\theta1= \frac{QR}{PR} [/tex]

[tex] PR = \frac{QR}{cos\theta1} [/tex]

Similarly, [tex] RS = \frac{TR}{cos\theta2} [/tex]

So [tex] l = \frac{TR}{cos\theta2} + \frac{QR}{cos\theta1} [/tex]

But i don't see where this could go.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 428
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem says "show that the shortest length of the rope occurs when [itex]\theta_1= \theta_2[/tex]".

It is the total length of the rope you wish to minimize.

The heights of the two poles are fixed (but not given, call them "P" and "S"). The rope consists of the hypotenuses of two right triangles with angles [itex]\theta_1[/itex] and [itex]\theta_2[/itex]. You can write the total length of the rope in terms of trig functions of [itex]\theta_1[/itex] and [itex]\theta_2[/itex].

Another way to do this, without using calculus or trigonometry, is to imagine one of the poles extending down into the ground! (This is a simple case of the "method of reflections".) Do you see that the shortest rope would be a straight line between the two pole ends? Isn't it obvious then that the two angles must be the same? The hard part is proving, geometrically, that exactly the same situation gives the shortest length for the two poles as given.

What you said is exactly what I did. (l = total rope length)

Can you please approve the attachment? Thank you.

dekoi said:
What you said is exactly what I did. (l = total rope length)
Can you please approve the attachment? Thank you.

I already tried to do this problem using the suggested method. It did not work. Please give me further explanation.

1. What is PRS in an optimization problem?

PRS stands for Pareto-Ranking Selection and it is a selection method used in optimization problems to identify the best solution by considering multiple objectives simultaneously. It assigns a rank to each solution based on its performance in relation to the other solutions.

2. How is PRS used in an optimization problem?

In an optimization problem, PRS is used to select the best solution from a set of potential solutions by considering multiple objectives. It ranks the solutions based on their performance and then selects the top solutions as the optimal solution.

3. What are the advantages of using PRS in an optimization problem?

One of the main advantages of using PRS in an optimization problem is that it takes into account multiple objectives, allowing for a more comprehensive evaluation of the solutions. It also helps to avoid bias towards any single objective and can lead to a more balanced solution.

4. Are there any limitations to using PRS in an optimization problem?

One limitation of PRS is that it may not always identify the absolute best solution, as it only considers the top-ranked solutions. It also requires a large number of solutions to be evaluated in order to accurately rank them.

5. When should PRS be used in an optimization problem?

PRS is best used in optimization problems where there are multiple objectives that need to be considered. It is also useful when there is no clear trade-off between the objectives and a balanced solution is desired.