Linear transformation - matrices

In summary, Benny has not been sure what to do in the following question and has been thinking about it. A linear transformation has a matrix P with respect to the standard basis B = (0,1), (0,1). Q is the matrix with respect to the basis B' = (3,1), (2,1). Q^n is the matrix with respect to the basis B'' = (3,1), (2,1), (1,1), (0,0), where n is an arbitrary integer. P^n is the matrix with respect to the basis B^n = (3,1), (2,1), (1,1), (0,0), where n is
Benny
Linear transformation - matrices *edit* Question resolved (y)

I'm not sure what to do in the following question.
A linear transformation has matrix
[tex]P = \left[ T \right]_B = \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
3 & { - 4} \\
1 & { - 1} \\
\end{array}} \right][/tex]
with respect to the standard basis B = {(0,1),(0,1)} for R^2.
a) Give the matrix [tex]Q = \left[ T \right]_{B'} [/tex] with respect to the basis B' = {(3,1),(2,1)}.
b) Determine whether or not the transformation is diagonalizable.
c) Find a general expression for Q^n. Hence deduce the formula for [tex]P^n = \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
3 & { - 4} \\
1 & { - 1} \\
\end{array}} \right]^n [/tex].
Here is what I've thought about.
a) The format of this question is quite new to me, I haven't seen any questions set out in this way before so I'm just going to have a guess...
[tex]
T\left( {\left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
x \\
y \\
\end{array}} \right]} \right) = \left[ T \right]_b \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
x \\
y \\
\end{array}} \right] = \left( {3x - 4y,x - y} \right)
[/tex]
Oh wait...is this just an application of transitition matrices? As in, I have [T]_B and I want [T]_B'. I also have the two basis sets, so I can use transition matricies to find [T]_B'?
b) I don't understand this question. I've only done questions on determining whether or not a matrix is diagonalizable. I'm not sure how this relates to the transformation itself. That is, how a matrix of a transformation relates to whether or not the transformation is diagonalizable
c) I don't get the point of this question. How does having Q^n allow me to deduce the formula for P^n? Perhaps if someone tells me what I need to do in part 'a' then it should make this part more clear.
Any help with either of the 3 parts of the question would be good thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Benny, I accidently hit "edit" when I meant to hit "quote". It think I put it back right! Sorry about that.
Benny said:
I'm not sure what to do in the following question.
A linear transformation has matrix
[tex]P = \left[ T \right]_B = \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
3 & { - 4} \\
1 & { - 1} \\
\end{array}} \right][/tex]
with respect to the standard basis B = {(0,1),(0,1)} for R^2.
a) Give the matrix [tex]Q = \left[ T \right]_{B'} [/tex] with respect to the basis B' = {(3,1),(2,1)}.
b) Determine whether or not the transformation is diagonalizable.
c) Find a general expression for Q^n. Hence deduce the formula for [tex]P^n = \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
3 & { - 4} \\
1 & { - 1} \\
\end{array}} \right]^n [/tex].
Here is what I've thought about.
a) The format of this question is quite new to me, I haven't seen any questions set out in this way before so I'm just going to have a guess...
[tex]
T\left( {\left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
x \\
y \\
\end{array}} \right]} \right) = \left[ T \right]_b \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
x \\
y \\
\end{array}} \right] = \left( {3x - 4y,x - y} \right)
[/tex]
Oh wait...is this just an application of transitition matrices? As in, I have [T]_B and I want [T]_B'. I also have the two basis sets, so I can use transition matricies to find [T]_B'?
I think you are heading the right way. Remember that any basis vectors, written in that basis, look like (1, 0), (0, 1). Multiplying a matrix by (1,0) just gives the first column, multiplying a matrix by (0,1) just gives the second column.
What is P(3,1)? How would that be written as a linear combination of (3,1) and (2,1)? Those coefficients form the first column of Q. What is P(2,1)? How would that be written as a linear combination of (3,1) and (2,1)? Those coefficients form the second columnm of Q.
Yes, you can use the transition matrix. In fact, you will need it for (c).
b) I don't understand this question. I've only done questions on determining whether or not a matrix is diagonalizable. I'm not sure how this relates to the transformation itself. That is, how a matrix of a transformation relates to whether or not the transformation is diagonalizable
Yes, a transformation is diagonalizable if and only if its matrix representation is diagonalizable. In fact the word "diagonalizable" really applies to the transformation, not the matrix. When you "diagonalize" a matrix you are finding another matrix that would represent the same transformation in another basis.
Find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of Q (in fact, find them of P also!)
What does that tell you? (note: for a diagonal matrix, obviously (1,0) and (0,1) are eigenvectors!)
c) I don't get the point of this question. How does having Q^n allow me to deduce the formula for P^n? Perhaps if someone tells me what I need to do in part 'a' then it should make this part more clear.
Because Q is a particularly simple matrix, it is easy to calculate a few powers and conjecture what Qn looks like (and, of course, use induction on n to prove it). Since Q and P represent the same transformation in different bases, there exist, as you said above, a transition matrix, T, such that P= TQT-1. Then P2= (TQT-1)(TQT-1)= (TQ)(T-1T)(QT-1)= TQ2T-1. You try P3! Do you see the point?
Any help with either of the 3 parts of the question would be good thanks.

Thanks for the help HallsofIvy. In most of the questions I've seen, the matrices equivalent to Q has been a diagonal matrix(this time I found it be diagonal but with another non-zero off diagonal entry). The formula for Q^n was rather easy to deduce but the nature of the question was suprising. I checked my final answer for P^n and it's correct.

I got P^n by using the transition matrices. In most of the questions I've done, when Q was a diagonal matrix, one of the transition matrices had columns consisting of eigenvectors of what would be equivalent to the matrix Q. In this case, the formula for P^n (AQ^nA^-1) works simply because A and A^-1 are inverses. So I'm thinking that A only has eigenvectors as its columns when Q is diagonal.

A linear transformation is "diagonalizable" if and only if there exist a basis for the vector space made entirely of eigenvectors of the transformation. Written in that basis, the transformation is represented by a diagonal matrix with eigenvalues on the diagonal.
If a linear transformation does not have a "full set of eigenvectors", then it is not diagonalizable but can be put in "Jordan normal form". That is a matrix with 0s below the diagonal, eigenvalues on the diagonal and, where there are eigenvalues of multiplicity greater than 1, "blocks" with 1 just above the diagonal.
Example:
[tex]\left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}2 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 2 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\0 & 0 & 3 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 3 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 3\end{array}} \right][/tex]
is a matrix with double eigenvalue 2, triple eigenvalue 3, in Jordan normal form.

Ok, I haven't thought of a transformation that way before. Jordan normal form will be one of the things I study if I end up continuing with linear algebra in later years.:cool:

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a linear manner. It can be represented by a matrix, and is characterized by preserving vector addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How are linear transformations represented using matrices?

Linear transformations are represented using matrices by assigning a matrix to each transformation. The columns of the matrix represent the image of the basis vectors of the original vector space, and the linear combination of these columns represents the transformed vector.

3. What is the relationship between matrix multiplication and linear transformations?

Matrix multiplication is closely related to linear transformations, as it is used to represent and perform these transformations. The matrix representing a linear transformation can be multiplied by a vector to obtain the transformed vector, and the multiplication of two matrices represents the composition of two linear transformations.

4. How do you determine if a matrix represents a linear transformation?

In order for a matrix to represent a linear transformation, it must satisfy a few conditions. The number of columns in the matrix must equal the dimension of the input vector space, and the number of rows must equal the dimension of the output vector space. Additionally, the matrix must preserve vector addition and scalar multiplication.

5. What are some real-world applications of linear transformations?

Linear transformations have many real-world applications, such as in computer graphics, where they are used to rotate, scale, and translate images. They are also used in data compression algorithms, signal processing, and in predicting future values in time series data. Additionally, linear transformations are used in engineering and physics to model and solve various problems.