Solving Nonlinear Differential Equations for Air Drag in One Dimension

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving air drag and the model for air drag given as a function of velocity. The conversation also mentions using Newton's Second Law and converting everything to a differential form. The question is raised about the variable "v" and what it becomes in the equation for air drag. The conversation then goes on to discuss the correct expression for the directed force in this model and the process of solving the equation for p and substituting it into the expression.
FrogPad
I'm working on this project that involves air drag. The model for the air drag is given as:

[tex] \vec F_d = \frac{1}{2} C \rho A v^2 [/tex]

I'm using Newton's Second law in relation to this force and gravity (in one dimension) which yields:

[tex] a = \frac{1}{m} \left( -mg + \frac{1}{2} C \rho A v^2 \right) [/tex]

I'm in the middle of an ODE course, so I have not dealt with anything nonlinear... so this is where my question is. If I convert everything to the differential form:

[tex] a = \frac{d^2x}{dt^2} [/tex]
[tex] v = \frac{dx}{dt} [/tex]

So what does [tex] v [/tex] become in the [tex] \vec F_d [/tex] equation?

It is [tex] \left( \frac{dx}{dt} \right)^2 [/tex]. I've just never encountered this. Does it become?
[tex] \frac{dx^2}{dt} [/tex]

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Frog, you have an equation of the form:

[tex]y^{''}=k_1+k_2\left(y^{'}\right)^2[/tex]

(it's just the square of the derivative that all).

This is an equation in which the independent variable is missing. The standard approach is to let:

[tex]y^{'}=p[/tex]

then:

[tex]y^{''}=p\frac{dp}{dy}[/tex]

Can you figure that one out?

Substituting this into the original equation yields:

[tex]p\frac{dp}{dy}=k_1+k_2p^2[/tex]

Can you finish it? That is, separate variables, integrate, then convert back to y.

It seems you are dealing with a one-dimensional air drag model.
In that case, it is certainly true that the MAGNITUDE of the drag force is given by [itex]\frac{1}{2}C\rho{A}v^{2}=\frac{1}{2}C\rho{A}(\frac{dx}{dt})^{2}[/tex], however that is NOT the correct expression of the (directed) force.
The force is always anti-parallell to the direction of the velocity, thus you have that the drag force is given by:
[tex]F_{d}=-\frac{C}{2}\rho{A}|\frac{dx}{dt}|\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

Last edited:
arildno said:
It seems you are dealing with a one-dimensional air drag model.
In that case, it is certainly true that the MAGNITUDE of the drag force is given by [itex]\frac{1}{2}C\rho{A}v^{2}=\frac{1}{2}C\rho{A}(\frac{dx}{dt})^{2}[/tex], however that is NOT the correct expression of the (directed) force.
The force is always anti-parallell to the direction of the velocity, thus you have that the drag force is given by:
[tex]F_{d}=-\frac{1}{2}\rho{A}|\frac{dx}{dt}|\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]
Well that should make it interesting Arildno. I'll try working with that one too.
:smile:

Ok. I'm getting confused here. I've just never had any 'training' with equations like this. So I kind of feel like I'm guessing here, and not understanding what to do.

Let me clarify one thing first. This model is for an intro engineering course, so we are actually going to solve this equation computationally with Euler's method. However, I thought I might actually be able to solve this part of the equation. (Which I still hope to do).

I would do the following?

[tex] \int p\,dp=\int (k_1 +k_2p^2)dy [/tex]

[tex] \frac{p^2}{2}=k_1y+k_2 p^2 y + c [/tex]

So yay (if I did this correctly) I'm left with: [tex]\frac{p^2}{2}=k_1y+k_2 p^2 y + c\,\,\,\,\,(1)[/tex]Now I should solve [itex] (1) [/itex] for [itex]p[/itex] and substitute [itex]y'=p[/itex] into the expression? Then solve for [itex] y [/itex] ?

Last edited:

What is a nonlinear differential equation?

A nonlinear differential equation is an equation that involves a function and its derivatives, where the function itself is not a linear combination of its derivatives. This means that the highest power of the function and its derivatives is not 1.

Why is it important to solve nonlinear differential equations for air drag in one dimension?

Air drag is a nonlinear phenomenon, meaning that the force of air resistance on an object depends on the object's velocity. Therefore, in order to accurately model and predict the motion of an object in one dimension, it is necessary to solve nonlinear differential equations.

What methods can be used to solve nonlinear differential equations for air drag in one dimension?

There are several methods that can be used to solve nonlinear differential equations for air drag in one dimension, including the Euler method, the Runge-Kutta method, and the shooting method. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific problem at hand.

How can the solution to a nonlinear differential equation for air drag in one dimension be verified?

The solution to a nonlinear differential equation can be verified by substituting the solution into the original equation and checking if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, the solution can be compared to numerical or experimental data to assess its accuracy.

What are some real-world applications of solving nonlinear differential equations for air drag in one dimension?

Solving nonlinear differential equations for air drag in one dimension has many real-world applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, designing aircrafts and rockets, and understanding the motion of objects in fluid environments like water or air. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and meteorology.