Prove Cantor set is measure zero with style

In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to prove that the usual "middle thirds" Cantor set has Lebesgue measure 0. One approach uses the recursive definition of the Cantor set and shows that its measure converges to 0. Another approach uses the theorem that if a subset of R is Lebesgue measurable, then its measure is 0. The conversation also mentions using the fact that the fractal dimension of the set is less than 1 as a means of proving its measure is 0. The speaker is looking for interesting ways to use a specific theorem to prove this fact.
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
One of my HW questions asks me to prove that the usual "middle thirds" Cantor set has Lebesgue measure 0. I know two ways, but they lack style...

They are (that you may post): #1) The recursive definition of the Cantor set (call it C) removes successively [tex]\frac{1}{3}[/tex] of the unit interval and hence has measure [tex]\frac{2}{3}[/tex] of the previous iteration. Thus, if [tex]C_{0}[/tex] denotes [0,1], and [tex]C_{k}[/tex] denotes the [tex]k^{\mbox{th}}[/tex] iteration of removing middle thirds, then

[tex]m(C_{k})=\left( \frac{2}{3}\right)^{k}m([0,1]) \rightarrow 0 \mbox{ as } n\rightarrow \infty [/tex]

thus m(C)=0.

#2) same jazz only summing measures of the removed portions (the middles thirds) as a geometric series that converges to 1, and hence m(C)=0.

Blah, blah, blah... no style.

I'm looking for interesting, in the context, using this theorem to prove it would qualify:

Thm. If [tex]A\subset\mathbb{R}^1[/tex] and every subset of A is Lebesgue measurable then m(A)=0.

Any suggestions as to how I might pull that off?

Or are there any proofs the PF-math community would like to share?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i kind of like the first one ^
the connected components of the cantor set are points, which have measure zero. i haven't thought about that real hard but it might go somewhere.

edit: actually both those proofs look fine.

Last edited:
Do you have any good theorems on conditions for a subset of R to be Lebesgue Measurable?

I may use any theorems from Papa Rudin or Baby Rudin.

Could you share some?

Sure, gladly even

AKG said:
Could you share some?
Here's 5 pgs on it from Papa Rudin

Attachments

• Papa Rudin (pg. 60-64, Lebesgue Measure).pdf
    207.3 KB · Views: 726
How about using the fact that the fractal dimension of the set is

[tex]D = \frac {\ln 2}{\ln 3} < 1[/tex]

:)

1. What is a Cantor set?

A Cantor set is a fractal set constructed by removing the middle third of a line segment repeatedly. The resulting set is a collection of points that have been removed from the original line segment.

2. How do you prove that the Cantor set is measure zero?

To prove that the Cantor set is measure zero, we must show that its Lebesgue measure is equal to zero. This can be done by using the definition of the Lebesgue measure and showing that the Cantor set can be covered by a countable number of open intervals with arbitrarily small total length.

3. What is the significance of proving that the Cantor set is measure zero?

Proving that the Cantor set is measure zero is significant because it shows that the set has no volume or area, despite being constructed from an infinite number of points. This has important implications in the field of measure theory and can be used to understand more complex sets and spaces.

4. Is there a specific method or style for proving that the Cantor set is measure zero?

Yes, there are several methods and styles that can be used to prove that the Cantor set is measure zero. One common approach is to use a recursive construction and show that the set can be broken down into smaller and smaller pieces, ultimately leading to its measure being equal to zero.

5. Can the proof of the Cantor set being measure zero be applied to other sets?

Yes, the same proof technique used for the Cantor set can be applied to other sets to show that they are also measure zero. This is because the key idea of using a recursive construction and breaking a set down into smaller pieces can be applied to a wide range of sets and spaces.