Linear algebra homework

In summary: S \, | \, s \, f \, B \} = \{ s \in S \, | \, f(s) \in B \} = \{ s \in S \, | \, s \in f^{-1}(B) \} = \{ s \in S \, | \, s \, f^{-1} \, B \} = \{ s \in S \, | \, s \, f^{-1} \, B \} = \{ s \in S \, | \, s \, f^{-1} \, B \} = \{ s \in S \, | \, s \
r4nd0m
I'm really stuck with my homework - it seems to be easy, but...
So the first one:
Find the most natural bijection between these two sets:
[tex](X \times Y)^Z , X^Z \times Y^Z [/tex]

The second thing I'm stuck with:
Proof for arbitrary [tex]f: X \rightarrow Y , g: Y \rightarrow Z[/tex] and sets:
[tex]A \subseteq X , B \subseteq Z[/tex] :
[tex](g \circ f)^{-1} (B) = f^{-1}(g^{-1}(B))[/tex]

And the last one:
Let [tex]f: X \rightarrow Y [/tex] be an arbitrary function. Proof that for every [tex]A,B \subseteq X ; C,D \subseteq Y[/tex]:
a) [tex]C \subseteq D \Rightarrow f^{-1}(C) \subseteq f^{-1}(D)[/tex]
b) [tex]f(f^{-1}(C)) \subseteq C[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Each of those looks to me to be reasonably straight forward. What have you done so far? What are the relevant definitions?

Well in the first one I don't really know what kind of answer they are expecting.

I found out that the second one is really easy.

In the third one I don't understand why there is inclusion instead of equality (because an inverse function exist only when the original function is bijective, therefore in b) there should be equality I think)

Last edited:
can anyone help me at least with the first one?
Please :frown:

For (1):

If someone said "Please write down a bijection [itex](X \times Y)^Z \rightarrow X^Z \times Y^Z [/itex]", what bijection would you write down? That is almost certainly the one they're asking for.

For (2):

For any binary relation [itex]f[/itex] (in particular, a function is a binary relation), the relation [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] is defined. (But is not usually a function)

Recall that for any binary relation R on (S, T), we can define, for [itex]A \subseteq S[/itex]:

[tex]
R(A) := \{ t \in T \, | \, \exists s \in A: s \, R \, t \}
[/tex]

(The notation for this isn't really standard -- for example, I would really prefer to write it as [itex]A \cdot R[/itex], maybe without the dot)

For a function [itex]f : S \rightarrow T[/itex], recall that [itex]f[/itex] is merely a binary relation on (S, T). Thus, we obtain the direct image of a subset A of S:

[tex]
f(A) = \{ t \in T \, | \, \exists s \in A : f(s) = t \}
[/tex]

or, more simply,

[tex]
f(A) = \{ f(a) \, | \, a \in A \}
[/tex]

The inverse relation just does things in the opposite order. [itex]t \, R^{-1} \, s[/itex] if and only if [itex]s \, R \, t[/itex]. For [itex]f[/itex], Plugging into the definition, we obtain the inverse image of a subset B of T:

[tex]
f^{-1}(B) = \{ s \in S \, | \, \exists t \in B : t \, f^{-1} \, s \}
= \cdots = \{ s \in S \, | \, f(s) \in B \}
[/tex]

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, matrices, and vector spaces. It is used to solve problems involving systems of linear equations, transformations, and geometric objects.

2. Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra is important because it has many real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, economics, computer graphics, and data science. It also serves as the foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts.

3. What are the basic concepts of linear algebra?

The basic concepts of linear algebra include vectors, matrices, systems of linear equations, linear transformations, and eigenvalues and eigenvectors. These concepts are used to solve problems involving equations, transformations, and geometric objects.

4. What are the common operations in linear algebra homework?

The common operations in linear algebra homework include matrix multiplication, vector addition and scalar multiplication, solving systems of linear equations, finding determinants and inverses of matrices, and performing operations on matrices such as transpose and row reduction.

5. How can I improve my understanding of linear algebra?

To improve your understanding of linear algebra, it is important to practice solving problems and working with matrices and vectors. You can also watch online tutorials, read textbooks, and seek help from a tutor or your professor. Additionally, understanding the underlying concepts and connections between different topics in linear algebra can greatly enhance your understanding of the subject.