Interaction between two dipoles

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the energy between two dipoles separated by a vector displacement r. The energy and field of one dipole are known, but the method for combining the energy of two dipoles is unclear. One suggestion is to use the superposition method to calculate the total electric field and then plug it into the energy equation. It is important to discard the self energy terms to avoid infinite answers. The conversation also mentions the possibility of a factor of 2, but it is concluded that it is not necessary. The solution is simpler than initially thought and the conversation ends with gratitude for the help provided.
mathlete
I've got to find the energy between two dipoles separated by a vector displacement r. I found what the energy/field of one such dipole is (see attachment), but I don't know how to combine the energy of two dipoles (P1 and P2) using those equations.. any help on a starting point? :confused:

Attachments

• dipoleenergy.PNG
    dipoleenergy.PNG
    1,000 bytes · Views: 799
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I can't see you attachement yet, so let me know if you're using different units or don't have these methods available yet.

You know the field of the two dipoles (via superposition), right? One way to proceed would be to calculate the energy of the system using
[tex]
\frac{1}{8 \pi} \int E^2 \, d^3 x,
[/tex]
where [tex] \vec{E} [/tex] is the total electric field of the system. Be sure to throw away the self energy terms otherwise you will get a nonsense infinite answer. This integral is not as difficult as it might look (in fact it is completely trivial if you use the properties of the perfect dipoles). Hint: can you find a charge distribution that gives a perfect dipole field?

Physics Monkey said:
Sorry I can't see you attachement yet, so let me know if you're using different units or don't have these methods available yet.
You know the field of the two dipoles (via superposition), right? One way to proceed would be to calculate the energy of the system using
[tex]
\frac{1}{8 \pi} \int E^2 \, d^3 x,
[/tex]
where [tex] \vec{E} [/tex] is the total electric field of the system. Be sure to throw away the self energy terms otherwise you will get a nonsense infinite answer. This integral is not as difficult as it might look (in fact it is completely trivial if you use the properties of the perfect dipoles). Hint: can you find a charge distribution that gives a perfect dipole field?
Sorry about that, you can see the image here:
http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/3945/dipoleenergy2fe.png

See my problem isn't finding the energy - I'm given the expression for that. So I can easily find the energy of a single dipole, but I don't know how to combine those expressions to account for two dipoles - do I add the electric fields and then plug into my energy equation? Or do I add the energies separately? Or do something different?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, no worries, it is the site that prevents the image from being visible until it's approved. The energy of the dipole in any field is given by your first equation. All you have to do is plug in the particular field of another dipole, your second equation, to find the interaction energy. You can easily check that you get the same answer if you consider the reversed situation i.e. the energy is symmetric between the two dipole moments. You certainly can't use the field of both dipoles because then you get nasty infinities, the self energies. Perhaps you're worried that there should be a factor of 2? Can you convince yourself that this isn't necessary? Think of the analogous situation between two point charges, is there a factor of 2 there?

Physics Monkey said:
All you have to do is plug in the particular field of another dipole, your second equation, to find the interaction energy.
Boy do I feel stupid now :eek: . I was making the problem a LOT more difficult than it had to be - I can't believe I didn't think of that immediately, I don't know what I was thinking. Thanks for your help:tongue2:

What is a dipole?

A dipole is a molecule or an atom that has a separation of positive and negative charges. This separation is due to the unequal distribution of electrons in the molecule or atom.

What is an interaction between two dipoles?

An interaction between two dipoles is when two molecules or atoms with dipole moments (separation of positive and negative charges) interact with each other. This interaction can be attractive or repulsive depending on the orientation and strength of the dipoles.

What factors affect the strength of interaction between two dipoles?

The strength of interaction between two dipoles depends on several factors including the distance between the dipoles, the orientation of the dipoles, and the strength of the individual dipoles. Additionally, the polarity of the molecules and the medium in which they are interacting can also affect the strength of interaction.

How is the interaction between two dipoles calculated?

The interaction between two dipoles can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which takes into account the distance and magnitude of the charges. Additionally, quantum mechanical calculations can also be used to determine the strength of interaction between two dipoles.

What are some real-world applications of interactions between two dipoles?

Interactions between two dipoles play a crucial role in many biological, chemical, and physical processes. Some examples include the bonding between DNA strands, the solubility of polar molecules in water, and the formation of hydrogen bonds in proteins and enzymes.