Simplifying an Indeterminate Quotient: Help Needed

In summary, the given expression approaches 3n+1 / 3n for large values of n. To find the limit, we can divide all terms in the numerator and denominator by 3n+1. This simplifies the expression and allows us to use the properties of rational functions to solve the limit.
markcholden
I need to take the limit of this quotient as n goes to infinity:
Code:
[2(-1)^(n+1) - 3^(n+1)]
-----------------------
[2(-1)^(n) - 3^(n)]
It seems to go to infinity over infinity in its current form, which, if I recall correctly, is indeterminate. It seems then that I need to simplify it...but I don't know how. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The expression you have written approaches 3(n+1)/3n for large n. I presume you can take it from here.

Well, mathman already handed you the bit that your intuition should get you. The key there is to look at all of the pieces of the expression and figure out how they behave as n goes to infinity.

Once you've figured out that intuitive part, you already know the trick to rigorously work through that limit -- I'll leave it to you to figure out.

(By rigorously, I mean that you don't just say that the limit is obviously converging to 3n+1 / 3n)

(If you really need another hint: think about rational functions, but try not to peek!)

Terms that go to infinity are hard to handle. Terms that go to 0 are easy!
It looks to me that, for any n, 3n+1 will be the largest term. What happens if you divide every term in both numerator and denominator by 3n+1?

1. How do I simplify an indeterminate quotient?

To simplify an indeterminate quotient, you need to apply the properties of algebraic operations such as combining like terms, factoring, and canceling out common factors.

2. What is an indeterminate quotient?

An indeterminate quotient is a mathematical expression in the form of a fraction where the numerator and denominator both approach infinity or zero, making it impossible to determine the value of the fraction.

3. Can all indeterminate quotients be simplified?

No, not all indeterminate quotients can be simplified. Some may have a unique solution, while others may remain indeterminate even after simplifying.

4. What are some common techniques used to simplify indeterminate quotients?

Some common techniques for simplifying indeterminate quotients include using L'Hopital's Rule, factoring, and using limits to evaluate the expression.

5. Why is it important to simplify indeterminate quotients?

Simplifying indeterminate quotients helps us understand the behavior of a function as it approaches infinity or zero. It also allows us to evaluate the limit of a function, which has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.