Maximizing Growth Direction from a Point on a Surface

• Thread starter sibiryk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Growth
In summary, gradient is the derivative of a function of 2 or more variables and it has a maximum (with respect to theta) where it's derivative with respect to theta equals 0.
sibiryk
I have f(x,y,z)=(x^2)y-x(e^z) and point Po=(2,-1,pi)
I need to find
a) gradient at point Po ( done)
b) Rate of change of f at point Po in the direction of vector u=i-2j+k (it's also done)
c) Unit vector in the direction of fastest growth of f at Po.

I can't find formulas for a last on. Does it come from a) and b)?
I know that angle should be zero but I am not sure what angle it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
At what angle is the growth greatest? Its got to do with the directional derivative and the gradient.

The growth is greatest when angle equals zero.

When WHAT angle equals zero?

(You are almost there!)

I think it's the angle between unit vector and tangent vector to f at Po.
If I'm correct, I'm not sure how should I put it on a paper.

Youre right. When you take a directional derivative what kind of product do you use (for the two vectors). One of these two is at a maximum when the angle is zero, that's the one you want to use.

If you're still stuck, show the defining expression for a directional derivative.

Last edited:
Not "tangent vector" because you are not talking about a curve.

The gradient is the "derivative" of a function of 2 or more variables. The derivative of f(x,y) in the direction of angle [itex]\theta[/itex] if given by
[tex]D_\theta f(x,y)= (cos \theta i+ sin \theta j)\dot(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}i+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y})[/tex]
That will have a maximum (with respect to [itex]\theta[/itex]) where it's derivative with respect to [itex]\theta[/itex] equals 0:
[tex]-cos\theta \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+ sin\theta\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}= 0[/tex]
That means that
[tex]tan\theta= \frac{sin\theta}{cos\theta}= \frac{\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}}{\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}}[/tex]

Think about what that means in terms of the components of the gradient of f.

It is tangent to the surface at that point and I think that is what he is meaning, but when youre dotting [itex] D_{\theta}f(x,y) [/itex] why did we get a negative cosine?

You also forgot your j unit vector in the first expression.

Yes, my mistake I thought of tangent vector to a surface.
Why should I dot f(x,y) if I have f(x,y,z)?
Still confused.

What does "direction of fastest growth" mean?

"Direction of fastest growth" refers to the direction in which an organism or population is growing at the greatest rate. This can refer to physical growth, such as the increase in size of an individual organism, or population growth, such as the increase in number of individuals in a given area.

How do scientists determine the direction of fastest growth?

Scientists can determine the direction of fastest growth by measuring the rate of growth over time. This can be done by tracking the changes in size or number of individuals in a population, or by measuring the amount of resources being consumed by an organism. By analyzing this data, scientists can identify the direction in which the greatest growth is occurring.

Why is understanding the direction of fastest growth important?

Understanding the direction of fastest growth is important for several reasons. It can help scientists predict future population changes and make informed decisions about resource management. It can also provide insight into the health and well-being of an organism or population, as well as potential environmental factors that may be influencing growth.

Can the direction of fastest growth change over time?

Yes, the direction of fastest growth can change over time. Environmental factors, such as changes in temperature or resource availability, can greatly impact the direction of growth. Additionally, as organisms mature and reach different life stages, their growth patterns may change as well.

How does the direction of fastest growth differ between species?

The direction of fastest growth can vary greatly between species. Some species may have a specific direction of growth that is consistent across individuals, while others may exhibit more variability. Additionally, different species may prioritize different aspects of growth, such as physical size versus population size, leading to different directions of fastest growth.