Comparing Coffee Maker Circuits | Are They the Same?

In summary, the original schematic and the circuit diagram created online are not the same. There are many differences that need to be resolved before the two circuits can be considered to be the same.
sasg28
Are the two circuits attached the same? "Circuit diagram" is the original schematic file, and "circuit" is the one I tried creating online. Are they the same?

I am doubtful of the overlapping of the wires and also the power sources.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• Circuit diagram.jpg
    Circuit diagram.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 7,407
  • Circuit.jpg
    Circuit.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 3,210
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No. I'm afraid there are lots of differences/issues some of which can't be resolved without additional information.

If you are trying to build a 9V DC circuit it might be easier not to start with one designed for 230V AC.

Tell us what you are trying to achieve.

Several issues here. You have to beware about doing very neat presentations of the wrong information. You can fool people that it's kosher!
At one time,, crossing wires used to be shown as a 'humped bridge' but circuits involving many wires, close together would have been too messy. So the convention, now (afaik) is to assume wires are not soldered together unless there is a joining 'blob' to signifiy a join. But I don't think 'humps' are actually forbidden.
The "batteries" are clearly not batteries - P5 and P4 (or P3?) are the mains live and neutral connections (possibly they are Pins (P for Pin?). P1 and P2 take the mains further on in the unit (to a lamp?).
The thermostat symbol is one I'm not familiar with; it looks a bit like a Thermistor. If in doubt, I would use a box with "thermostat" in it. The same applies for the Fan.
Resistors are usually denoted by rectangles and not zigzags in ISO, afaik.
There are some commonly used symbols on this link.

More information

Here is what the circuit is for - an appliance.

The batteries/source is wrong. It has to be a power cord from the wall going through the unit (see diagram attached with this response). How do I show this in the circuit? I put the batteries because I didn't know what else to put.

Also are the four diodes supposed to be a AC-DC rectifier?

Attachments

• Circuit_schematic.jpg
    Circuit_schematic.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 921
The batteries/source is wrong. It has to be a power cord from the wall going through the unit (see diagram attached with this response). How do I show this in the circuit? I put the batteries because I didn't know what else to put.

Just copy the original circuit. For example next to terminal P5 it says "AC/L" which stands for "AC - Live".

Do check the spec for the 1n4148. It's been awhile but I think the voltage rating (and possibly other parameters) make it unsuitable for mains voltage applications.

Ok, so what do the P's actually look like in real life? The wire connections?

Also are the four diodes supposed to be a AC-DC rectifier?

Yes.

It looks like P3 should be connected to AC/N via another switch or switching device. This device would then controls the motor and the 10ohm heater.

EDIT: Ignore the above.

I see that the motor is in series with the 10 Ohm heater...eg the circuit is...

AC Live -> themostat -> Bridge rec -> motor -> P3 -> 10 ohm heater -> fuse -> AC/N

So P3 could just be a test point.

Last edited:
sasg28 said:
Ok, so what do the P's actually look like in real life? The wire connections?

The P might stand for "pin" or "post" as in "terminal post" - for connecting wires to, perhaps using crimp on connectors.

Edit: or it could "Pad" as in solder pad.

And are the 4 diodes in a rectifier set up? Thanks so much for your help

sasg28 said:
And are the 4 diodes in a rectifier set up? Thanks so much for your help

Yes. It's a bridge rectifier arrangement. I am a bit concerned that, with your limited level of knowledge, you want to get involved with a piece of mains equipment. Even if you don't plan to get inside it yourself, the information you are transcribing will presumably be used by someone else. If they are capable then the original diagram would be quite enough.

Hi, actually I'm just trying to make the drawing look better (more professional)

I wonder why.
In order to make it look professional AND to be accurate, the draughtsman needs to be 'a bit' professional. I used to try to make my prototype circuits look convincing but they only looked right after they'd been through the 'drawing office'. A CAD package, rather like a spell checker, may make things 'look' ok but it doesn't guarantee to make actual sense.

I would recommend looking at a lot of professionally drawn diagrams and trying to understand them before trying to produce your own. There are many lists of ISO Circuit Symbols available on the Web.This link gives you the most likely symbols. You need to be careful when looking at the many dated circuit diagrams that you can also find - with many weird versions of Capacitors and resistors. If they don't use the conventions in that link I gave you then don't use them as models of good practice. There will be many suitable ones in amongst them, though. The data sheets from modern component manufacturers are a pretty reliable source of properly drawn circuits.

Easy there, I am just asking a question since I don't know much about it. You don't have to make condescending comments about my lack of knowledge. Good day

sasg28 said:
Easy there, I am just asking a question since I don't know much about it. You don't have to make condescending comments about my lack of knowledge. Good day

Sorry; I meant no offence but I am actually worried about the safety aspect more than anything else. If you really think you are competent then I unreservedly withdraw any doubts but mains electricity cannot be taken lightly. It's not being condescending to suggest sticking to safe voltage circuits until one is competent enough.

I understand and thank you for your concern, but I am merely trying to draw the circuit, nothing else. Thanks

sasg28 said:
Hi, actually I'm just trying to make the drawing look better (more professional)

In my opinion the overall layout of the original circuit is quite poor. Could be drawn a lot better to make the flow easier to follow. For example left to right I would show...

The AC Live and Neutral inputs
The switch and fuse
The Thermostat
The bridge rectifier
The coils
The motor and caps

Would it be too much to ask if I kindly requested you to draw it out somehow? Thanks sooo much!

Sorry it's only a sketch, I'm a bit short of time. I've used roughly the same symbols the original used.

The capacitor values are missing off the original. Do you know what type they are? If they are polarised electrolytic then a different symbol should be used.

I haven't really checked for mistakes. I see I forgot the fuse type/rating info.

It's possible to argue about some of the details. I'm not claiming drawing conforms to any ISO standards or anything like that.

Attachments

• Coffee Maker.jpg
    Coffee Maker.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,114
Likes 1 person
Thanks so much

It looks great! I don't know how much the L and C values are, but I'd like to thank you for your help in the matter!

1. What are the main components of a coffee maker circuit?

The main components of a coffee maker circuit include a heating element, a thermostat, a power supply, and a control board. The heating element is responsible for heating the water, while the thermostat regulates the temperature. The power supply provides the necessary electricity for the circuit to function, and the control board controls the various functions of the coffee maker.

2. How do the heating elements of different coffee maker circuits differ?

The heating elements of different coffee maker circuits may differ in terms of their material, size, and wattage. Some coffee makers may use a metal coil heating element, while others may use a ceramic heating element. The size of the heating element can also vary depending on the size of the coffee maker and the amount of water it needs to heat. Additionally, the wattage of the heating element can vary, with some coffee makers using higher wattage for faster heating.

3. Are there any safety features in coffee maker circuits?

Yes, most coffee maker circuits include safety features such as a thermal fuse or a thermal cutoff switch. These components are designed to cut off the power supply in case of overheating, preventing any potential fire hazards. Some coffee makers may also have a pressure relief valve to prevent excess pressure from building up.

4. What is the role of the control board in a coffee maker circuit?

The control board in a coffee maker circuit is responsible for controlling the various functions of the coffee maker, such as turning on the heating element, regulating the temperature, and activating the brewing process. It may also have additional features such as programmable timers, auto shut-off, and temperature settings.

5. Do all coffee maker circuits have the same power requirements?

No, the power requirements of coffee maker circuits can vary depending on the size and features of the coffee maker. Some may require more power for faster heating or additional features, while others may use less power. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's instructions for the specific power requirements of your coffee maker.