Consistency of interpolation in terms of flux at node sides

In summary, the consistency of interpolation in terms of flux at node sides refers to the accuracy and reliability of using interpolation methods to estimate the flux or flow of a quantity at specific points or nodes within a system. It is important for these methods to be consistent in order to ensure accurate and meaningful results. This consistency can be achieved through various techniques such as maintaining the same order of accuracy and using stable and robust interpolation schemes. Overall, the consistency of interpolation plays a crucial role in accurately predicting and analyzing the behavior of systems in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.
mertcan
Hi, first of all I am aware of the fact that QUICK SCHEME used in computational fluid dynamics has consistent slope at the sides of node elements (for instance at the left side of node 3 in my attachment same slopes exist) as you can see in my picture/attachment. But I must express that I can prove (differentiating the second order interpolation polynom at side point of nodes) slopes at the left side of node(like in picture) are equal in QUICK SCHEME thus it is consistent but I know there are another schemes like VAN LEER or VAN ALBADA SCHEME which are non linear and I can NOT prove how those SCHEMES may be consistent in terms of slope at the left side of node like QUICK SCHEME. At the centre of length (length between node 2 and node 3 in my attachment) which means left side of node 3 QUICK SCHEME always ensure the consistency of slope and I can prove but HOW DO WE KNOW THAT VAN LEER VAN ALBADA SCHEMES MAY ENSURE THE CONSISTENCY OF slope at the left side of node 3?? How can we PROVE it?

For instance in order to prove QUICK SCHEME is consistent in terms of slope at the left point of node element I can use the continuous second order polynomial interpolation and differentiate it. BUT in VAN LEER or VAN ALBADA SCHEME I do not know the continuous form of polynomial interpolation thus I can not differentiate like in the case of QUICK SCHEME...

Attachments

• picture attachment.png
    picture attachment.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 494
Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean van Leer's MUSCL scheme? Anyway, to determine if a scheme is flux-conserving, proceed as follows:
Consider a one-dimensional discretized domain with N+1 nodes from 0..N and N cells from 1..N. Consider nodes "i-1" and "i" inside the domain. Compute the flux entering this element and the flux exiting this element. Then do the same for the nodes "i" and "i+1".
If the flux exiting cell i is the same as the flux entering cell i+1, it is a global flux-conserving scheme.
Hope this helps.

These are very good summer school lectures: http://www2.mpia-hd.mpg.de/~dullemon/lectures/fluiddynamics08/
check out chapter 4.

bigfooted said:
Do you mean van Leer's MUSCL scheme? Anyway, to determine if a scheme is flux-conserving, proceed as follows:
Consider a one-dimensional discretized domain with N+1 nodes from 0..N and N cells from 1..N. Consider nodes "i-1" and "i" inside the domain. Compute the flux entering this element and the flux exiting this element. Then do the same for the nodes "i" and "i+1".
If the flux exiting cell i is the same as the flux entering cell i+1, it is a global flux-conserving scheme.
Hope this helps.

These are very good summer school lectures: http://www2.mpia-hd.mpg.de/~dullemon/lectures/fluiddynamics08/
check out chapter 4.
I am curious about the a circumstance that is : when we apply finite difference to equation, the differenced equation may not be suitable for TVD(total variance diminishing) and open to some oscillations, so to prevent the oscillation we use flux limiters as a multiplication form, but when we modify our differenced equation with flux limiter how do we know that we still preserve the same truncation error? Attaching flux limiter to differenced equation may be decrease or increase truncation error?? How do we measure that??

1. What is interpolation in terms of flux at node sides?

Interpolation in terms of flux at node sides is a mathematical technique used to estimate the value of a function at a point between two known values. In this case, it is used to calculate the flux (flow) at a point between two nodes in a network.

2. Why is consistency important in interpolation of flux at node sides?

Consistency ensures that the estimated values of flux at node sides are accurate and do not deviate significantly from the actual values. This is crucial for making reliable predictions and decisions based on the estimated flux values.

3. How is consistency of interpolation in terms of flux at node sides measured?

Consistency is measured by comparing the estimated flux values with the actual values at different points in the network. If the estimated values are consistently close to the actual values, then the interpolation is considered to be consistent.

4. What factors can affect the consistency of interpolation in terms of flux at node sides?

The accuracy of the measurements, the complexity of the network, and the interpolation method used can all affect the consistency of interpolation in terms of flux at node sides. Additionally, errors in the data or assumptions made during the interpolation process can also impact consistency.

5. How can consistency of interpolation in terms of flux at node sides be improved?

To improve consistency, it is important to use accurate and precise measurements, select an appropriate interpolation method, and carefully consider any assumptions made. It is also helpful to test the consistency of the interpolation results at multiple points in the network and make adjustments as needed.